The VG Resource
General Pokemon Discussion - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Other Stuff (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-6.html)
+----- Forum: Gaming Discussion (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-18.html)
+----- Thread: General Pokemon Discussion (/thread-7991.html)

RE: General Pokemon Discussion - Zac - 07-20-2009

Here is my oppinoin on gens
row 1 awesome
row 2 pretty cool
row 3 meh
row 4 lame
[Image: gen1.png]

gen 2
[Image: gen2.png]

gen 3
[Image: gen3h.png]

gen 4
[Image: gen4k.png]

feel free to edit

RE: General Pokemon Discussion - TailsNCream - 07-20-2009

Hey where is Ivysaur and Flareon ?
Butterfree meh ? :C

I must make this sheet too, I will post later Big Grin

RE: General Pokemon Discussion - Zac - 07-20-2009

I'm doing full evolution lines

RE: General Pokemon Discussion - TailsNCream - 07-20-2009

So here is the mine from the 1st gen. I was lazy so the "Meh" is not done.

[Image: pokemonlol.jpg]

RE: General Pokemon Discussion - Spade - 07-20-2009

There are tons of pokemon I love, I suppose if I had to choose one from each gen it'd go Tangela, Wooper, Mawile and Vespiquen. Unfortunately, most of the pokemon I like aren't very good in actual battling...

RE: General Pokemon Discussion - Phantom Killah - 07-20-2009

[Image: 6hqogw.png]

[Image: t893zr.png]

[Image: 29palp1.png]

[Image: 1z520lh.png]

I'd say I like every generation about equal

RE: General Pokemon Discussion - Koopaul - 07-20-2009

(07-20-2009, 12:22 AM)Cshad Wrote: This is not a good reason to complain. People were restricted by the technology they were using, now that we have more freedom we are able to make the designs more than just a little bump popping out of the ground :/. About the last part of that, Mewtwo and Groudon are two separate pokemon, two separate types, with completely different anatomy. Would you rather all the pokemon looked the same? Mewtwo and Groudon were also designed with different intentions in mind, Groundon was meant to be an "emotionless" badass legendary pokemon.

Its not about the anatomy or concept. Its about the style. The style was more simple on purpose the faces of the Pokemon looked like they could have emotion even Magnemite (a Pokemon with no face) had more emotion than say Claydol which doesn't even look alive.

[Image: betterclaydol.png]

There doesn't that look much more like well... a Pokemon?

Do you see what I'm saying now?

RE: General Pokemon Discussion - Neslug - 07-20-2009

Claydol isn't supposed to look alive. It's magically animated clay.

RE: General Pokemon Discussion - Helmo - 07-20-2009

Why has no one ever mentioned that Combusken is more of a cock than Palkia? No pun intended.

RE: General Pokemon Discussion - Phantom Killah - 07-20-2009

(07-20-2009, 05:33 PM)Sam Wrote: Why has no one ever mentioned that Combusken is more of a cock than Palkia? No pun intended.

haha
I never even realized

RE: General Pokemon Discussion - Cshad - 07-20-2009

(07-20-2009, 05:14 PM)koopaul Wrote:
(07-20-2009, 12:22 AM)Cshad Wrote: This is not a good reason to complain. People were restricted by the technology they were using, now that we have more freedom we are able to make the designs more than just a little bump popping out of the ground :/. About the last part of that, Mewtwo and Groudon are two separate pokemon, two separate types, with completely different anatomy. Would you rather all the pokemon looked the same? Mewtwo and Groudon were also designed with different intentions in mind, Groundon was meant to be an "emotionless" badass legendary pokemon.

Its not about the anatomy or concept. Its about the style. The style was more simple on purpose the faces of the Pokemon looked like they could have emotion even Magnemite (a Pokemon with no face) had more emotion than say Claydol which doesn't even look alive.

[Image: betterclaydol.png]

Do you see what I'm saying now?

First, as Neslug said, Claydol is not meant to portray emotion, its animated clay. I like Claydol's design :/. All pokemon are in the same "style" it's just different concepts and designs and intentions that shape the pokemon.. And surprise, with all of that as the variable, some pokemon may not be meant to portray emotion, that adds to the pokemons design.

Mewtwo was intended to portray emotion, he was meant to have human attributes, he was an intelligent cloned pokemon after all.

Groundon is a monster that was not meant to have human attributes, he was meant to tear shit up and be a legendary pokemon.

Your whole argument is based on emotion when your ignoring that some pokemon were never ever meant to portray emotion.

EDIT: Re-reading my post; it's a bit scrambled and repetitive, but whatever I'm tired :V

"Claydol is animated clay"

And Geodude is a rock, but it still has emotion. You can take anything and give it emotion, that's the point in Pokemon, at least it used to be.

The first and second generation gave us the idea that Pokemon were goofy creative colorful creatures no matter what they were or how tough they looked could still be lovable. The kind you make a plush toy out of. That was Pokemon. Even Ho-oh and Lugia, powerful legendaries, had a cartoon look in their eyes.

They weren't supposed to be emotionless pointy robotic brutes.

That's what made them "Pokemon" and not Metroids.

RE: General Pokemon Discussion - GrooveMan.exe - 07-20-2009

Making all the Pokémon cartoon-like would be extremely naive. The designs are varied because not everyone WANTS silly cartoony monsters.

Gen 3 had a lot of cool, even slightly disturbing Pokémon that gave the designs a side they sorely needed. Sableye, Claydol, the Regis, Absol, Cacturne.

To use an inter-series example, back when schools were all about Pokémon Vs. Digimon, what Digimon had was COOL FUCKING MONSTERS. While Pikachu and friends were simplistic enough to be recogniseable to all, Digimon had both that (Hi Agumon!) and some proper menacing/scary ones (Hi MetalGreymon! Hi Devimo- OHGODDON'TKILLME)

And you guys, has /v/ taught you nothing? Tier lists are entirely subjective and pretty retarded.

RE: General Pokemon Discussion - JarJar - 07-20-2009

(07-20-2009, 05:14 PM)koopaul Wrote: [Image: betterclaydol.png]

how is that better when you just threw off all the points of its design?

what the hell would be the point of its head? and its ancient markings are gone...thanks for ruining claydol.

@Grooveman

Well I disagree with you there. Pokemon were charming. A far greater appeal than badass. I found Digimon clique, a failed effort at trying to one-up Pokemon with tougher monsters.

@JarJar

Claydol was ruined from the start for being ugly and unappealing.