The VG Resource
POKEMON GEN 6 ANNOUNCED - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Other Stuff (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-6.html)
+----- Forum: Gaming Discussion (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-18.html)
+------ Forum: Pokemon (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-69.html)
+------ Thread: POKEMON GEN 6 ANNOUNCED (/thread-22294.html)

RE: POKEMON GEN 6 ANNOUNCED - Kriven - 01-17-2013

(01-17-2013, 07:55 PM)Gaia Wrote: This is how trubbish came to be. It's basically a Zombiechu. Another mutation triggered by.. Dramatic pause.. MAAAN! The same plot device used for Gen 5.

In seriousness I'm getting annoyed by the trubbish bashing myself. If you want serious skullbashing, pit a Charizard against a Golem in multi, and see how fun it is.

If Trubbish had the design from that comic/pic in the games, it would be so much better. I actually like the way he looks there quite a bit.

RE: POKEMON GEN 6 ANNOUNCED - Mutsukki - 01-17-2013

(01-17-2013, 08:39 PM)Kriven Wrote:
(01-17-2013, 07:55 PM)Gaia Wrote: This is how trubbish came to be. It's basically a Zombiechu. Another mutation triggered by.. Dramatic pause.. MAAAN! The same plot device used for Gen 5.

In seriousness I'm getting annoyed by the trubbish bashing myself. If you want serious skullbashing, pit a Charizard against a Golem in multi, and see how fun it is.

If Trubbish had the design from that comic/pic in the games, it would be so much better. I actually like the way he looks there quite a bit.
?

[Image: trubbish.jpg]

(01-17-2013, 09:09 PM)Mutsukki Wrote:
(01-17-2013, 08:39 PM)Kriven Wrote:

?

[Image: trubbish.jpg]

Oh, lol. Shows how well-versed I am in the names of the newer ones. I thought there was only one garbage Pokemon, I didn't know it had an evolutionary line.

I guess I was thinking of Garbador, who I don't like:

[Image: 1738810-garbador_super.png]

My bads Very Sad

RE: POKEMON GEN 6 ANNOUNCED - Tellis - 01-17-2013

Yeah, I'll agree with you on that, Garbodor's design is trash (PUN TOTALLY INTENDED). But Trubbish is friggin' cute.

PLUS he says his name adorably in the anime and that's all that matters:

RE: POKEMON GEN 6 ANNOUNCED - Phantom Killah - 01-17-2013

I like Garbodor. He's so silly!

I don't agree with people who complain that they should never have made a Pokemon based on x (where x is an element of the set of all non-conventional ideas)

Basing a creature off of an obscure concept often has interesting and fun results, regardless of how ridiculous it is. What's wrong with ridiculous?

RE: POKEMON GEN 6 ANNOUNCED - Helmo - 01-17-2013

i simply dont like his arms (garbodor)

RE: POKEMON GEN 6 ANNOUNCED - Sengir - 01-17-2013

Garbadore is a waste of a pokemon design.

RE: POKEMON GEN 6 ANNOUNCED - Tellis - 01-17-2013

But why are we even worrying about Gardobor when Joltik more than makes up for it and makes everything better?

Joltik doesn't make everything better, because the bad things are still there. But it does lessen the sting.

RE: POKEMON GEN 6 ANNOUNCED - Garamonde - 01-18-2013

(01-17-2013, 11:29 PM)Sengineer Wrote: Garbadore is a waste of a pokemon design.

I 100% disagree but I don't care for Jynx, Purrloin or Keldeo.

(Wink)

I got the joke btw...

RE: POKEMON GEN 6 ANNOUNCED - Devicho - 01-18-2013

(01-17-2013, 11:29 PM)Sengineer Wrote: Garbadore is a waste of a pokemon design.
Well to be fair it was that or recycle an old design.

RE: POKEMON GEN 6 ANNOUNCED - Tellis - 01-18-2013

Huh... maybe we should make a Poképinions thread (and consequently leave this thread to rot until there's more news on X and Y)? Or... maybe not...

RE: POKEMON GEN 6 ANNOUNCED - Koopaul - 01-18-2013

I love Trubbish and Garbador. It's got a nice comprehensive design with a silly personlity. And I love Pokemon with personality.

Anyway, moving away from design. Can we atleast agree that Pokemon names have become needlessly complicated or ugly sounding?

I'm looking at you "Cofagrigus"... What a horrible name! Pokemon names should be fun and easy to remember. They seem to be trying too hard to come up with "clever" names these days. Being "clever" does not mean better.

Names like Slowpoke weren't very clever, but you could certainly remember it. It was catchy and fun. "Klink" too.

RE: POKEMON GEN 6 ANNOUNCED - Zac - 01-18-2013

hm
cofagrigus druddigon buffolant
exeggutor gyrados omastar
I don't know about that koopaul, I think the names have always been hit or miss with the memorable thing. If you remember some but not others then it probably says more about your interest, then the general name quality. From a marketing aspect they are pretty much the same quality.
scolipede nidoking...

also I think the appeal of trubbish and garbador are what they add to the unova region as an immersible world. there locations and origin in game sends a deeper message then a pokemon like litwit or meinshow which seem seem to only exist in the region to fill a ghost/fighting quota
also also from a design aspect I find them much more appreciable then pokemon like -insert contrived fan bait-, because the designers were brave enough to stick to there own aesthetic rather then bending there will to what they think the fans would like (the fans that always think that they can do better)

I'm not a gen 5 appoligist or anything, it certainly has problems, but using a pokemon like trubish as a figure head to illustrate whats wrong with the artists change in aesthetic, as many fans do, is so backwards, because his essence is that of a gen 1 pokemon. Kanto is memorable because all the pokemon seem to belong, and trubish and it's evolution are a rare example of that in the current generation.
to all the people that dislike this guy, I suggest ruling out the rule of cool and looking more critically at what a pokemon like chandulure or haxorus adds to the series (very little conceptually).

RE: POKEMON GEN 6 ANNOUNCED - puggsoy - 01-18-2013

I don't have too big a problem with names. I admit that some are random and a bit complex (like Alomomola), but once you read the name carefully and say it once or twice it's not too hard to pronounce. I admit that Cofagrigus is pretty weird and difficult to say, but that's probably the most difficult I can think of, and it's one in 650+ Pokemon.
I do agree that they try to make them clever, but not much more than before. I mean you also had Ekans and Arbok, and they were pretty good names despite being reversed versions of their real-world counterparts. I think they're actually using this "clever-ness" to make them more memorable actually, since they kind of relate the names to the appearances. Klink, Lillpup, Trubbish, all names that you can remember instantly simply by seeing Pokemon.

My biggest problem with names is, as I mentioned earlier, unnatural stuff like Mr. Mime. I suppose Trubbish also counts, the coincidence is huge. If humans (in the Pokemon world) named Pokemon, it'd be fine and make sense, but the fact that the Pokemon's name comes from what it's capable of saying just ticks me off.
But that's nothing to do with names specifically, so yah.