The VG Resource
BEAT 'EM UP - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Creative Zone (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-86.html)
+----- Forum: Spriting and Pixel Art (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-14.html)
+----- Thread: BEAT 'EM UP (/thread-19994.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: BEAT 'EM UP - Crappy Blue Luigi - 05-16-2012

major overhaul on the first post! it now has all of the characters listed with their current animations and sheets, when applicable, as well as their in-game bios. speaking of bios...

[Image: zJKWI.png]
character select mockup. it's a bit barren at the moment without a background, but i think it still gets across what i want it to be. as usual, obvious inspiration from the streets of rage games, mostly the third installment.

the two ?s at the side are not more friends i have yet to make into characters; they're NPCs you'll see along the course of the game that you'll be able to unlock as playable characters. they won't actually show up as such in the real deal; they'll only be visible once they're unlocked.

from now on, i'm going to try to have a gameplay concept included when i've got one. this post: it's the power bar! (note: inedible (2nd note: actually called the Power Gauge but i wanted to make a dumb energy snack bar joke))

[Image: l3UFf.gif]
in the HUD mockup i posted a while ago, each player's individual HUD had this little set of four bars next to it. what does it do?

[Image: kzanm.gif]
it slowly fills up! but that's just visual. what it really does is allow players to use Special moves without sacrificing a small chunk of health. if even one bar is full, then the player can safely use a Special.

[Image: ZsUVW.gif]
once it's filled all the way, it will flash. however...

[Image: QH2QC.gif]
no matter how full the gauge is, using a Special move will empty it, regardless of whether or not the move makes contact with anything.

you might be asking: what's the point of having four bars if you only need one? or maybe you're not asking that at all, i don't know you. whatever. i'll get to it another time, when i actually have the sprites to illustrate it.

RE: BEAT 'EM UP - Thumbtacks - 05-16-2012

Wait let me guess.
The more charged the bar is the stronger the attack.

I'm rather loving these, though Amber looks as though she's going to fall over foreways

RE: BEAT 'EM UP - Cobalt Blue - 05-17-2012

i'd asume its just like in Streets of Rage 3. once the metter is full, you can use a special/breaker move without a health penalty.

RE: BEAT 'EM UP - Crappy Blue Luigi - 05-19-2012

lots of people pointed out that amber was leaning forward. i didn't really see it, until i flipped her around so she was facing left.

oh my god.

[Image: 07aVg.png]

fixed that right up, as well as some other things you probably noticed more than her posture. i've changed up her wardrobe. it's now more based on the refs she gave me, with tall stockings and a dress-like shirt. the shirt is also brighter, to give more contrast to her stockings and have a wider set of colors within her sprite.

as for the Power Meter, i already said you only need one bar filled to safely use a Special move. i don't have the sprites i need for any character to demonstrate what you can do with a full bar yet, and i probably won't for a while. (the mockup for that one will be gigantic)

RE: BEAT 'EM UP - Hoeloe - 05-19-2012

Is that shading on her dress or is it supposed to be a different colour in the middle?

RE: BEAT 'EM UP - Garamonde - 05-19-2012

It looks like a different color to me, and I'm rather liking it.

it's supposed to be shading, just with a high contrast due to the way my palette is set up, but now that you mention it... i think having a multicolored shirt fits her well, so i'll accept that explanation. Wink

EDIT: amber idle

[Image: ai7At.gif]

RE: BEAT 'EM UP - Medevenx - 05-19-2012

This no outline, on a very dark bg style reminds me of a Fire and Ice-themed game in the works before with scarfs for life bars..

Anyway, Amber's Idle can use more head movement Smile

how would i get head movement there?

RE: BEAT 'EM UP - alexmach1 - 05-19-2012

(05-19-2012, 08:21 PM)Crappy Blue Luigi Wrote: how would i get head movement there?

waving the hair? blinking? either could work imo

amber did want me to have her run her hand through her hair every once in a while, but it's going to be a while before i get to that.

i've actually redesigned her sprite AGAIN, this time with help from gatsby.
[Image: SeU8F.gif]
gatsby helped with shading the shirt better, and with making her legs more feminine.
i switched her back to all black, since the new shading looked a lot better with that set of colors than the old shading did.

i also made her portrait.
[Image: 8LiP9.png]
tyler's wearing a red shirt now, for better color variety.

updated character select mockup.
[Image: i5EHV.png]

RE: BEAT 'EM UP - Medevenx - 05-19-2012

I'm not reading well or even understanding what's on her face I'm sorry..

RE: BEAT 'EM UP - HandToeKnee - 05-19-2012

I thought I'd animate the hair a little... well, unintentionally, a lot Cute
[Image: i0qm4S7dWFZD0.gif]
I tried* to imagine someone with long hair jumping up and down. Hair slightly floats before falling.

*I say tried... It's kind of hard to think of anything when drunk Tongue

(05-19-2012, 10:01 PM)Medevenx Wrote: I'm not reading well or even understanding what's on her face I'm sorry..

she's wearing spectacles

EDIT: got some critique from amber on her portrait, messed around with the spectacles a bit
[Image: Aekt1.png]
is it easier to read now?

RE: BEAT 'EM UP - Garamonde - 05-19-2012

It is for me.