The VG Resource

Full Version: What Wii games are good for a 5 year old
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My niece is getting a Wii for x-mas and she is only 5 years old. She can read some words and she can count but basically she is in kindergarten. My sister asked me what games might be good for a 5 year old and I suggested Mario Party but she thinks that might be too much for my niece to handle.

She likes racing games and I want to know as well does Mario Kart have a "free race" selection. Like you can just go and play and not have to worry about winning or losing but it would still tell you what place you came in at anyway.
wii sports
wii play

basically any shovelware or party games that involve lots of waggling would be perfect
Super Mario Galaxy
New Super Mario Bros
Mario Kart Wii
Mario Party 8
Super Paper Mario
I can't think of anything else other then a Mario game, about almost everyone of those are aimed for everyone including kids you know
Super Paper Mario can be a little iritating for someone that young though. And it also has some depressing and kind of profound story elements that seem out of place in the otherwise happy nature of the game, kinda like the Mother Series, but not as much Giygas.
No More Heros.

I kid.

Deblob could be a good choice.
Rayman Raving Rabids is a sure fire hit.
I did see a Dora game at gamestop for the gamecube. She'd need a gc controller and a memory card though.
Try Spore Hero.
wii games
Well, it's actually Gamecube (so it requires a GC controller and at least a small memory card), but Kirby Air Ride has a feature that allows the player to just drive around, doing whatever you want. I had a 4 and 6 year-old playing it a few times, and they had a blast. Someone might have to unlock a few of the extras for her, but otherwise, it seems great for young children.
I'd have to agree with the Kirby Air Ride suggestion, if you can get a controller and memory card. The controls in the game are very simple, and from what I remember you can't fall off the edge of the courses like you can in, say, Mario Kart.

Fuck now I want to play KAR.
I'll keep every suggestion in mind. Apperently she wants to take me out to the local gamestops to try out games with her.
Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 comes to mind. It's really easy, entertaining, and would probably be a blast for someone around that age.
Is Battletoads on the virtual console? That's what MY parents gave me when I was very young.

I'm still going to therapy for that one. -Shudders- T-T-T-Turbo Tunnel-l-l-l...
The Rayman games are safe enough. I'd also say that the Freddi Fish games can be of some help, I used to play some of them on PC when I was younger. The Lego series (Lego Star Wars the Complete Saga, Lego Indiana Jones, Lego Batman) are also very kids-friendly.
My cousins got kids, the older is 7 and he's pretty good on it, the five-years sometimes can be confused with multiple button tasks (+3 buttons at the same time) but it's pretty much a matter of getting used, maybe Nights?
I wouldn't reccomend de Blob or Super Paper Mario. Colourful though they are, both require decent reading ability to play effectively, and de Blob can get rather punishing.
Pages: 1 2