The VG Resource

Full Version: Submission form or forum post?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Which would you prefer, a system where anyone can fill in a form with the details of the sheet on the site, or the current system?
For example, a page like this:
[Image: examplerg.png]
Where the user puts in the sheet name, a file name for it, can upload a sheet, and an optional icon, select a game in the system already or a new one (we'll make the icon since most people will just make shit ones), and then the section (eg, enemies, playable characters, etc.), and finally the name of the submitter.

After it's submitted, it'll be added to a page only the staff can see where we select whether to accept or reject a sheet. Upon doing so we can then edit them to change any details (adding icons, adding a section tag, spelling mistakes, capitals, etc.)
After accepting or rejecting, an automated email is sent to the provided email address telling you of the status of your submission.

The reason for adding this would purely be because it'd make updates even more quicker, and would remove the hassle of us making a tonne of mistakes based on not knowing the characters etc.
Plus, it'll mean that I can once again update as I'll be able to do this on the go with a laptop, and doesn't require me to sift through the forum for sheets and icons.

I would leave the submissions board purely for discussion of sheets, of course, as I think that is a vital part of the forum. But it'd mean that submitting is much more accessible to someone who does not yet have an account and does not want to make one.

I understand the issue of people abusing the system and adding crap sheets and so on, but it's just the same as them adding them through the forum, except it's easy enough to just click reject.

Your thoughts?
Like I said over MSN, this system seems to be a hell of a lot more efficient than the current one. And as long as the staff is gonna keep up with pending submissions, I don't see a reason that it would fail.
I like this as well.

Seems like it'd be easier for members who didn't want to register on the forums, etc.

As long as it's kept up-to-date we're fine.
Adding it could potentially reduce work loads and make the site more efficient. That said, it could also open Pandora's box in terms of hassle and sorting out errors, following idiots around with a virtual poopa scoopa who constantly submit the wrong sheet to the wrong game/system and fill the forums with the same retarded questions over and over again.

Maybe a trial run would see if it would work properly? I think if everything goes smoothly it would definitely pay off.
I'd personally love to use such a function, but the problems that I can see arising are what Bill described, but also problems like someone intentionally flooding it with incorrect sheets just to grind one's nerves.

But that aside, I have a feeling this would be a lot more efficient, not that I would know since I'm not the one putting sheets on the site, but even from the standpoint of someone just submitting the sprites it is an improvement.
It is one great idea, but I'm really concerned about idiots. Not only having stuff on the wrong section (and it would be far more difficult to find out), but dopes in general, like guys uploading "custom" sprites (aka: simple recolors) and stuff like that, or multiple submissions ("My internet is slow, so I'm going to click multiple times the submit button!!!"). Not to mention I enjoy commenting on the submissions thread :o

But in another hand, looks like that people won't need to register to upload, right? It would be useful (a lot), shorten the queue to the updates, make it quicker for you guys, all fast and clean.

I'd say to have one test period. Let's see hoe it goes.
It'll be a lot easier to click a "Reject" button then it would be to make a post in a topic that someone's posted telling them why it's rejected.
We could set up some sort of "Reason for Rejection" thing, which has various drop downs with different reasons. Stolen, Poor Quality, Not Official, Other.
I think BAB pretty much nailed it.
And what about people that don't submit icons? They'll have to make one, submit the old way or what?
It sounds like this would be a lot more efficient than our current system. I'm sure locking topics in Submissions or moving them to Sprite Discussions on a daily basis for the exact same reasons (bad sprites, content that wouldn't be accepted in the first place, etc.) is incredibly taxing, annoying, and is a waste of time; whereas, this system is a really simple upload form that's easy to understand, and is easy to operate (on both ends). But just to be sure that it would work out well, it'd probably be a good idea to give it a test run like Badassbill suggested.

I have one question, though. If people post a topic in the Submissions board looking to get their sheet submitted (and let's say it's a sheet that would be submitted), what would happen to the sheet/topic? Would the topic be locked with a post informing the submitter of the new way to submit sprites, or would the sheet be accepted through there like they always have been? There's a chance that you'll still get people that submit sprites through that board, which could result in nearly the same amount of work.
Doesn't seem like a bad idea.
It doesn't seem so bad as long as things don't get out of hand. Like Bab said we'll have quite a few idiots at some point or another so would there be a way to ban certain people who use it? Like is there a way where we can block certain submitters and e-mails from being put in if we have to?
I Always Thought This Would Be Better. But Yes, It Could Lead To People Submitting A "Mega Man 7" Enemies Sheet Into "Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days" Weapons Page.
The sheets have to be approved first. That won't be a problem.
I like this idea. Seems more efficient and less time consuming for everyone to go from every forum (nintendo, sony etc etc) and check each individual post, save them, upload them at the next update, etc.

..But wouldn't that mean tSR would be somewhat laggy, due to the file being on the server twice (Once for submission and once for actual addition to the site), which would make for more manual work, deleting the files on the server? then again i've never ran a website so idk, just my baseless assumption. :X
Pages: 1 2 3