The VG Resource

Full Version: Donkey Kong Country 3 rips
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Been a while. I did some DKC 3 rips last year of most of the map screens (minus the world map). I'm back for a while, I have a new rip ready, and probably some more, which I will update this thread with. Have a look-

Banana Bird Queen (and her area + children)-

[attachment=3083]

Did my best here. I can't find a completed rip of her and her area. This one was pretty challenging to do. One thing that was hard to rip was the sigil that glows in the middle of the monolith-like prison wall. The tiny baby birds kept flying around getting in the way. I had to replay the area tons of times and hope they'd go in a random pattern NOT in front of the sigil. Annoying to say the least.

Things to note-
- Symbols in the sigil light up yellow in succession. Each symbol can just be extracted manually, they are all there.
- The green turd-looking thing is just a mask to use when the Kongs are present. It's used to make them seem like they are in front of the clouds. In a fangame, put this in front of the Kongs, but make the shape display the background.
- I separated the small banana bird animations. One is of them flying. The other is their standing idle animation.
- The extra cloud layer appears in front of the monolith, for added depth.
- The Queen's body is part of the background and never moves. The head is a separate sprite.
- Red gem goes in the center of the monolith. It acts as the "lock" here, and shakes and explodes when the children sing.
- Sun shines out when the Queen is free. There were more frames than I expected. Should be given the proper alpha transparency levels obviously.

Enough of my ramblings. Sorry i've gone so long without a new rip. Still would like to do the world map. I've improved my mspaint skills, so maybe it will be easier. For now, enjoy this rip. I will update this thread later with more rips (hopefully). I'm working on a better rip of Funky's Rental shop, should be done quite soon. Will post soon.
Sweet-O! I still don't understand how that green think works, but oh well.

Plus...image hosting site. Smile
Thanks! The green thing is something used to program in an overlay mask. Basically, something to tell part of the background to appear OVER the character. Take a look at this picture I have marked for you-

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/9905/maskku.jpg

The circled part you can see has part of the cloudy background over the character's feet. To create a fluffy effect. The way that was done was a mask, programmed to look like the background but appear OVER the characters. Hard to explain I know. But it was a background layer and has a purpose. Plus, it sort of floats around a little to create a fluffy effect.

In other news, I've finished the Funky's Rental shop rip. It doesn't include Funky himself, he's already ripped. Here it is-

[attachment=3084]

Needed to rip parts that haven't been yet. The background has some animation to the stove. There were also some water layers to capture. So there it is.
AHHH! Thanks for clearing that. Wink
We've been needing this for a while.
Oh. I like this very much. Excellent, excellent job.
Thank you guys. I just feel that some of the animated backgrounds needed to be done. Especially the ones that can be done easily enough (not that the Banana Bird Queen was easy to rip lol).

I lost some progress on my DKC3 world map rip, but i found it in an old thread of mine! So I'm probably going to start working on it again. It's harder to rip the water, so i'll just provide a generic non-animated water background that you can later add wave effects to. Quite easy to mimick perfectly anyways in Gamemaker. I'll provide the water shadow effects, map layers, waterfalls, and such. Just the water itself is too hard to rip.

Here's what i've got so far (only WIP not final, don't submit please)-
http://www.spriters-resource.com/communi...p?aid=1589

vSNES is making this a little more difficult than it should. It garbles some of the northern parts. But it's not a big deal. I'll just use ZSNES to help me out with some of the layers and hand edit them via paint. Hope to finally get this done soonish. Been a year since i tried to work on it. Smile
Looking good, man. As for Funky, he is ripped, but if you look at the sheet, a lot of him has been accidentally erased because of the background color and he should probably be re-ripped. :/
I'll see what I can do about that, and yeah, I just noticed that. I was wondering what to do about it. I'll have to get to a save where he walks away though, which may take some time. Currently, i'm focusing on the world map, it's pretty challenging. But I do think the Funky rip needs some work. It would be more complete with a more flawless Funky.

For the record, I hate using vSNES for animated rips. lol! Such a pain in the ass if you know what I mean. Wink
I never used vSNES. I'm more of a ZSNES guy. Tongue
(11-21-2009, 12:08 PM)Tonberry2k Wrote: [ -> ]I never used vSNES. I'm more of a ZSNES guy. Tongue

Cool W00t! Yeah! Cool

BTW, what's after Funky?
Looking good! Nice to see that you've returned.
FINALLY finished with my DKC world map rip. That took me a long time and was rather hard to do (vSNES was being an ass). Here's what i got you guys. hope you like it-

[attachment=3091]

Pretty damn big. Few notes-

- Updated. Almost forgot to add some later-game things: the rocks surrounding a submerged lost world. And a cliff wall that blocks you off from the castle until you finish K3 and Razor Ridge. Added in now.

- Water I have come to the conclusion was too hard to rip each individual frame for the entire map. Instead, I've ripped (a)- the shadows that show the water depth which one will overlay onto the water and add alpha transparency to, and (b)- a generic water panel which you can add your own custom waving effects to to replicate the effect seen in the game (i've seen the exact effect done almost perfectly in gamemaker).

- I won't be including the character and object sprites which appear on the world map. I will leave this for later, sorry, but that's a bit out of my range at the moment. Might work on the level flags and such later on. Just some generic things. But i'll include all the map objects for another rip.

I'll keep ripping from the DKC trilogy. Might do the secret ending sequence from DKC2. It looks incredible, and i think it could use a rip. Might do some map parts of that game as well, and anything else that needs to be done. Not doing any full level rips, and might not do many character sprites or whatnot
Sounds good. I'll keep my eye on this topic. Big Grin
EDIT- fixed the Benny rip with two more frames of animation used for his talking sprite. Ready for submission. Sorry for inconvenience. Working fast to fix the others.

I've found some more little things I wanted to rip from DKC3. I didn't know before that Benny and Bjorn's houses weren't ripped. Perhaps because they have some animated backgrounds that might have turned some people off. I ripped Benny so far, Bjorn is next I think. Here's Benny, incuding what I hope is all his frames of animation (lol, all 3, not many), his cabin, and the rope and wheel of his chair lift pulley. The rope is just a simple tiny tile which is vertically repeated forever and given a vertical scrolling animation (simple stuff to do in any animation program or gamemaker). Both sides of the rope included (even though it's just horizontally flipped). Left side scrolls UP, right side scrolls DOWN.

[attachment=3100]

Hope you enjoy it. Benny was the hardest to rip, had to use vSNES because the background was black and he kept blending into the background in ZSNES. Thank god he has only 3 frames (from what I can see). Hope Bjorn is similar. I'll see what else i can rip. Bjorn is next, will update in a little bit.
Pages: 1 2 3