The VG Resource

Full Version: Arceus Pixel Art WIP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Huh...haven't posted here in a long time. Even though I still post my work elsewhere, figured I'd wander back here so I don't get too complacent.

So I was scribbling Arceus doodles in my sketchbook and randomly decided to take a pic of one and turn it into a pixel art.
[Image: arceus2.png]
I had fun doing the face, but the hind legs keep pissing me off. I still don't know how I want them to look without straying too far from the standard anatomy.
Tthat's cool! Keep it up!

My only problem is the switch between white and the black on the head is outlined. You're going to fix that, right?
I hate to do this, but.
Arceus looks like he's in a submissive stance. For a legendary ubermon, that's a no-no.
And his neck+head should be bigger.
His position is really awkward, its like you're trying to give his legs bends and joints but its not turning out too well. The style is kind of boring too, have you though of trying to do something a little more interesting?
As the other have pointed out the position is really weird looking.
Try something else...
(11-15-2009, 10:56 AM)Kilgore Trout Wrote: [ -> ]I hate to do this, but.
Arceus looks like he's in a submissive stance. For a legendary ubermon, that's a no-no.
Meh, while I liked doing that pose, I did indeed notice that it looked submissive about halfway through the lineart. >< Surprisingly, it wasn't too hard to change poses:
[Image: arceus3.png]
(Didn't fix the shading yet, as it obviously has conflicting light sources right now.) Hind legs are still bugging me, and I don't know what to do with them. The new pose also is making me want to repose one of the forelegs, as they look too similar.

And despite the fact that I do have a DP Arceus sprite in the file, I'm not basing it off that style at all, as it has a huge head.
(11-15-2009, 02:07 PM)Cshad Wrote: [ -> ]His position is really awkward, its like you're trying to give his legs bends and joints but its not turning out too well. The style is kind of boring too, have you though of trying to do something a little more interesting?
The forelegs or hind legs, cause I know the hind ones suck at that moment, still trying to work those out. And, er...well I know my style isn't as "wow" as the top-notch spriters here, but that's why I joined to begin with: improving myself. I don't know how to improve very much if I'm just told to make my work more interesting.
I really like it. I think the only let down is the hind legs, which as you said you are working on. Perhaps you could have them straighter, so that it's standing up whilst looking over it's shoulder? Also, maybe the left foreleg could be shorter. And don't forget to do that weird harness thingy arouns it's waist!
(11-15-2009, 02:39 PM)ClawedNyasu Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-15-2009, 10:56 AM)Kilgore Trout Wrote: [ -> ]I hate to do this, but.
Meh, while I liked doing that pose, I did indeed notice that it looked submissive about halfway through the lineart. >< Surprisingly, it wasn't too hard to change poses:
[Image: arceus3.png]
(Didn't fix the shading yet, as it obviously has conflicting light sources right now.) Hind legs are still bugging me, and I don't know what to do with them. The new pose also is making me want to repose one of the forelegs, as they look too similar.

And despite the fact that I do have a DP Arceus sprite in the file, I'm not basing it off that style at all, as it has a huge head.
(11-15-2009, 02:07 PM)Cshad Wrote: [ -> ]His position is really awkward, its like you're trying to give his legs bends and joints but its not turning out too well. The style is kind of boring too, have you though of trying to do something a little more interesting?
The forelegs or hind legs, cause I know the hind ones suck at that moment, still trying to work those out. And, er...well I know my style isn't as "wow" as the top-notch spriters here, but that's why I joined to begin with: improving myself. I don't know how to improve very much if I'm just told to make my work more interesting.

All I'm really saying is experiment with another style, it looks like the same thing you've been doing for all your other pokemon pixel arts. Try making a more interesting palette, look up some different shading techniques to try out. I just want to see you try something new.
(11-15-2009, 03:36 PM)Cshad Wrote: [ -> ]All I'm really saying is experiment with another style, it looks like the same thing you've been doing for all your other pokemon pixel arts. Try making a more interesting palette, look up some different shading techniques to try out. I just want to see you try something new.
Well, yes, that's true...but the problem is that I'm still inexperienced enough that I don't really know any other styles, and I've always taught myself everything to do with spriting because guides usually don't help me. And I'm certainly no good at making the radically mixed-up palettes that some artists can pull off.

For a while I've been wanting to experiment with how to pull off a sprite with varying lineart thickness, rather than the consistently 1-pixel wide that I've been doing, but I don't know where to start.
While the other pose looked 'submissive', it does depend on if he's doing anything else. His 'Thousand Arms' that he uses to craft existence hasn't been shown in any official art yet, and it would be cool to see your take on it.
Hoo...boy...so I went and redid most of my sprite, and started a much more difficult approach, using high contrast from a hard angle.
[Image: arceus3a.png]
Unfortunately I have no idea how to shade from this angle. *_* Most of the incomplete shadow outlines are positioned just as guessing. I don't want to progress too much further until I'm sure this is the approach I want to take. I still have a version saved that is just lineart.

And I'm obviously gonna do the wheel later.
You might want to work on that aa, it looks like banding atm
I like the new position. and the Aa does seem kind of bad.
You have some serious banding in between the shades. However, I do like how you fixed the pose.