The VG Resource

Full Version: Overworld Sprite HG/SS/DP/P style
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: sprite1.png]

I created some overworld sprite of characters in pokemon and inuyasha in HG/SS style. Oh and some are from the game and some I've created myself
Please differentiate yours from the game so I can crit you better when I get back from my appointment.
The hair needs to be fixed on some of them, like on Crystal. Crystal's hair needs to be a bit darker too.The tops of everyones heads, like where the hat or hair feels too flap.
Ask does not look like he has a face. o.o
Maybe you should give him one.
Your Nurse joy just does not look right to me.
The bodys are ok, but the shading is just, bla, it neess to be fixed.
I hoped I helped a bit. Cute
And keep on trying is all I can really say, I guess.
First off, I should point out that they DO look like the characters they are meant to resemble. Technically however, there are many shortcomings. Now critting each one individually would be long for me, and I'm just too tired to do that.

WindDragonKP has a bunch of good points, so listen to him too!
Now, Blue's hat needs to be rounded off(as in ADD pixels, not subract them). Sapphire's bandana is too high on her head, and the ties are a little too square. Her and Ruby both have angry eyes here; get rid of that. Ruby's hair is a little too blocky, but otherwise he's good. Any reason why you chose Ruby's green palette? Kris? Well, she needs a LOT of work. Take a whole new shot at it, try hard to mimic the style of the other ones, and use references. She may have only had one game, but she has a manga presence to draw off of too.
Team Aqua is pretty good. Second from the left is too skinny, and Archie doesn't look enough like Archie. Think "square-ish face".
Team Magma is really good. Aside from them all reading pretty similar(which is to be expected), Maxie looks AWESOME.
Norse Joy is pretty much fine, but I think the hat thing is off. Take another shot at the hat, see if you can't make it better. Just don't delete this one, I'd like to compare.
I don't know much about the coordinators, but 4, 5, and 6 from the left have something odd with their hair. Try to style match them, see if they can get better. Also, 3rd from the left's hat looks flat.
Jesse & James: Ick. Jesse does NOT look like herself, and James' hair is too blocky and big. His uniform is good though.
Butch & Cassidy: Uh oh. Butch's hair is TOTALLY weird, and, worse, Cassidy's is pillow shaded. FIX.
Um, other two rockets: White Hair is good, but Blond looks kind of pillow-y. See about making it more in style. Who these two anyway? I stopped watching the anime.
Elite 4 is pretty good, but Lorelei's hips are too wide. Agatha is fine.
I can see the OBVIOUS Red inspirations, but this is Ash, not Red. Show his face, Ash is happy, not Angsty like Red. Paul's head is a bit too round.
Inuyasha characters actually look pretty damn good.

Huh. I guess I did them all anyway. Whatever. Lucky you.
Main point is: PUT. THEM. IN. STYLE. Get that, and I'll think it'll work out just fine.

Good luck.
Done, I change some of the sprite to make it better (atleast that's what i think), anyway, Genki ^_^ what do you mean by pillow shading? (i don't know what's pillow shading)
I'm still a bit turned off by Cassidy's hair

you might want to consider re-shading it. as far as what pillow shading is, you could look at this in regards to what it is, there is a part of it where it does mention it and it can explain it better then I can.
Genki ^_^ what do you mean by pillow shading? (i don't know what's pillow shading)
(11-12-2009, 03:14 PM)rockmanmegaman Wrote: [ -> ]Genki ^_^ what do you mean by pillow shading? (i don't know what's pillow shading)

I kinda mis-phrase'd my comment, but if want to know what pillow shading is you could, you know, click on the link in my last post?

otherwise you can google it
(11-12-2009, 03:14 PM)rockmanmegaman Wrote: [ -> ]Genki ^_^ what do you mean by pillow shading? (i don't know what's pillow shading)
(11-07-2009, 11:47 AM)Baegal Wrote: [ -> ][Image: Pillows.png]
The one on the left is pillowshading, where you simply keep outlining layers. It turns out really bad.

The one on the right is shading with anti-aliasing, as well as normal shading. Anti-aliasing is adding shades to the corners to make to colors blend nicer. the gray around ML3 sprites are examples of anti-aliasing with the background.

Sorry, I'm not to good at explaining things... :{