The VG Resource

Full Version: What's Your Favorite Retro Game?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Don't get me wrong, I love the new games that come out now-a-days, but really, the realism, blood-n-guts-shoot-anything-that-moves thing gets pretty old after a while.Ninja[/font] So after the new stuff gets old, I go back in time and start to play the old! Tell me what's your favorite old-school game! Be sure to say the game name, the console it was on, and what make it your favorite. Would you play it again?Exclamation [NOTE!! Games from the PS2, Xbox, or GC are NOT retro!....yet.]Exclamation

My favorite retro game is Vectorman!Cool It was for the Sega Genesis and it was a beautifully executed game! A console always has at least one game that uses the consoles' ability to it's best and Vectorman did just that! Everything in the game moved so flawlessly and smooth, especially the wavering flags in level 1, which look very real! Vectorman's ability to transform into different things and wide variety of weapons makes the replay value pretty high, at least for me. The levels and boss battles were also awesome enough to make keep playin!
Punch-Out for NES. One of the best NES game ever. Every character had his own personality and fought differently. It is also one of the only game I have not beat yet(YES, I'M TALKING ABOUT YOU MIKE).
Sonic 2, which is also the best game ever. Closely followed by OOT.
The poll is so stupid.

Super Metroid, best game of all time. Beat's OOT, SONIC 2, and anything else anyone hear can put up.
Super Castlevania IV

I want to play Super Metroid but I don't know where to find it
I might search up the ROM later but idk
Anything good from the SNES is officially one of the best games of all time
Super Metroid was boring and slow
Contra Hard Cops. just to say one.

excuse me whats the diference between a game and a retro game? labeling a game "retro" sounds so... stupid.
Quote:Super Metroid was boring and slow
you literally have no idea how to play the game lol

if you are going slow while playing this game, and are complaining about it (meaning you don't like that and want to go fast) than you are playing the game wrong

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxIWAK7nxuw
as this video (namely around 20 seconds and 5:17-5:25) should show there is an astounding potential for speed in this game if you know what you're doing

the only thing "slow" about it are room transitions and the "you got an item" thing

but this is a 100% speed run (and that video is basically just partway through the game collecting a bunch of items) so that's a lot more frequent than it would normally be in game
Pokemon Stadium 2
I don't like fast games anyway, I like to explore discover and think about what I'm doing.
Dunno if it counts as "retro," (fuck your labels, games is games), but I've been having a lot of fun multiplayer with this N64 I got a few months ago.

Turok: Rage Wars, Perfect Dark, Quake II, and I'll have GoldenEye by this time next week.

Say what you will, but online play will never imitate the camradrie of four friends sitting on the couch, throwing about insults involving each other's mothers.
Majora's Mask is literally the best fucking retro game in the UNIVERSE and the absolute high point of the Zelda series

don't even bother disagreeing because i can get into rough detail on how it's better in EVERY sense of the word
Quote:I don't like fast games anyway, I like to explore discover and think about what I'm doing.
Which is great, because you can play it pretty much anyway you want and there is still something to do and a way to enjoy the game. Slowly, you can wander around and explore and learn where everything is - appreciate the attention to detail, and find all of the secret passages and areas. The game has an incredible atmosphere, which I personally feel is strongest in Maridian and the Wrecked Ship.
Does GBC count as 'retro' now?

If so, Dragon Warrior Monsters. Was the best Mons game of its time; and one of the few extended series where the sequels haven't bested their predecessors.
Pages: 1 2 3 4