The VG Resource

Full Version: Pokemon:Retro to HG/SS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I am working on getting every MAIN trainer and all the pokemon,from the beggining to the end.Here are the ones I finnished:

Classic Red:[Image: Classic_Red15817.PNG]

Turtwig:[Image: Turtwig86392.PNG]

Onix:[Image: Onix96335.PNG]

Steelix:[Image: Steelix20064.PNG]
The pose is awkward and the sprites aren't very readable, and the choose lines aren't very smooth. The lightsource isn't very consistent, and the eyes a little strange. I appreciate the fact that you seem to have made the effort of making this sprite from scratch, there aren't many new people who start with customs. If you're stuck I'll make an edit. Post more up!
(11-08-2009, 11:46 AM)Chris2Balls Wrote: [ -> ]The pose is awkward and the sprites aren't very readable, and the choose lines aren't very smooth. The lightsource isn't very consistent, and the eyes a little strange. I appreciate the fact that you seem to have made the effort of making this sprite from scratch, there aren't many new people who start with customs. If you're stuck I'll make an edit. Post more up!
This
it don't look like a human
Turtwig is a tiny inprovment,and is more clear in colors.I am working on Charmander now.
(11-09-2009, 08:21 PM)Ice Climber Pikmin Wrote: [ -> ]Turtwig is a tiny inprovment,and is more clear in colors.I am working on Charmander now.

If you want more than a tiny improvement each time, go back to the trainer. Chris2balls made some simple, really important crits that you should address. And I agree with him, it is EXCELLENT that you're starting with customs. However, if you want to keep improving, work on one piece at a time. Also, every pokemon is an extremely lofty goal. May I recommend starting with slightly smaller goals? Maybe right now try working on getting every starter as perfect(and varied) as possible. Unfortunately for you, the initial sprites are quite flawed(although better than I would have expected for a newbie), and this means that if you have to go to fix one, you have to go back and change EVERYTHING on the sheet. Lots of work. For the charmander you're working on right now, just show us the first pose before you work on any more. We'll crit it and both tell and show you how to make it better so that eventually, you'll have the best sprite you can, or least we(probably I) will TRY to.
Also, I've noticed that with each of your animation sequences are VERY similar to each other. One thing that really makes a sprite sheet is when everything is very distinct, special, and DYNAMIC. That last one means that there's motion, excitement in the movements.

If you'd like to look at some VERY well made full movement sheets of a lot of pokemon, look on tSR for JoshR's custom pokemon sheets. That guy is really good at what he does.

Although I will note, Turtwig is indeed an improvement upon Red. But there is much still for you to learn, my young Padawan.[/starwars]

Good luck!
I decided to do onix instead, and I made steelix out of onix, but even though steelix is made out of onix, Steelix looks better.
You shouldn't use circles to build those Pokémon; use more irregular shapes instead. Also, those spikes are poorly done. Take more time when doing those details.

Another tip I can give is: finish one thing before moving to another. Go back to the Trainer and fix him.

You're certainly improving, so keep working.
They look very.....odd........

To be honest, i am shocked and appalled by these sprites...they are very ugly.
well Turtwig is a major improvement over Red
but it needs better shading

EDIT:
(11-10-2009, 07:48 PM)HunterMetroid Wrote: [ -> ]They look very.....odd........

wow. your first post is to insult someone
great first impression!
(11-10-2009, 07:48 PM)HunterMetroid Wrote: [ -> ]They look very.....odd........

Seriously dude. If you aren't going to try to help, why even post? He already knows they need a lot of work, and he's new at this, so why go ahead and kick him for it? And with your first post? REALLY?

And you're being a little dramatic. They're SPRITES. The only thing "shocking and appalling" here is your behavior.

Okay, now this is pretty much spam without any crits, so here:
Onix and steelix. Big pokemon to tackle.
Why is Onix bigger than Steelix? From a logical standpoint, Steelix is just Onix with a metal jacket on him, wouldn't he get BIGGER? This is a deceptive change, as Onix's body has 14 stones(minus head) and Steelix has 8(minus head). It also may decieve because all official pokemon sprites have to fit into the same sized box, so they have to be similar in size.if you look for anime pictures of them though, you'll see that Steelix is a monster of a pokemon.
Second; your onix must be REALLY old. It has to be, as Onix's stones round and smooth as they age, and yours are almost perfect circles. I mean NO OFFENSE by this, but it looks like you just got lazy and decided to use the circle tool. Unless your Onix really is THAT old, Onix's stones are much more angular in shape, with a lot of flat surfaces. This makes Onix a really tricky pokemon to get right, both line AND shade wise.
Steelix, well, its a nice attempt. You happened to pick two of the harder pokemon to sprite in the enitre pokemon world. Try something smaller, maybe yu'll have better luck.
However, I do thank you for only producing one sprite at a time for them.
but he's right. these sprites are ugly and thats why you're all giving ideas and guidelines inhow the OP can fix them.

its just an honest opinion, chill out.
(11-10-2009, 09:19 PM)DigiTamer Metaru Wrote: [ -> ]but he's right. these sprites are ugly and thats why you're all giving ideas and guidelines inhow the OP can fix them.

its just an honest opinion, chill out.

While I can agree that they are pretty ugly, that was just cruelty for cruelty's sake. It wasn't helpful, it was just being mean.

But yes, I apologize, I did overreact some. Sorry.
OK, let me clear some stuff up, I have had a reputation on other forums to be insulting, and I apologize. I am the sort of user to rush in and say my honest opinion whether its my first post or my 80th.

Anyway, all I'm saying it it needs work...
[Image: Pokemon63187.PNG]
Unlike some people on here I will try to help Cute
As far as lineart, steelix is pretty good. His spikes do, however, need some work. Classic red's eyes also look strange.

You are showing alot of improvement so don't give up Tongue
As to some...please be nicer. Be like "Oh ____ needs work" Not "Oh that is poorly made"

I am suprised and glad that you worked on a custom, rather than an edit.
Pages: 1 2 3