The VG Resource

Full Version: Luminous Arc 2 Rips
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Currently ripped (Not counting stuff from old thread): 1
Working on: Swimsuit portraits, then althea or maybe fatima battle sprites. not sure juuust yet. Heart

--/Pending\--
N/A (atm)
--/On-site // Waiting to be put on\--
[Image: 2luyrk9.png]
'kay, so i'm a biiit confused on what to do. cuc made a point that the story portraits share the same faces as the spa portraits. Now, should I a) Keep the two portraits on seperate sheets, b) Make the portraits all one sheet, or c) Just put all the portraits for a certain character on the sheet with their battle sprites?
>Organization
IMO you should divide the portraits into multiple sheets. Putting them all in one PNG would be too big. The swimsuit portraits can go together with normal portraits, but portraits shouldn't be mixed with sprites.

>I know this, that is why i use the Map(OAM?) viewer. It gives me whole portraits, like this: http://i37.tinypic.com/15en88.png (Still WIP..)

What emulator are you using now? I know DesmuME has a map viewer, but can't find one in iDeaS.

The problem still exists: it's possible for the portrait data to be larger than the viewer can see. Here's an example from LA1:
http://i34.tinypic.com/5txnw6.jpg
(11-09-2009, 12:38 AM)cuc Wrote: [ -> ]>Organization
IMO you should divide the portraits into multiple sheets. Putting them all in one PNG would be too big. The swimsuit portraits can go together with normal portraits, but portraits shouldn't be mixed with sprites.

>I know this, that is why i use the Map(OAM?) viewer. It gives me whole portraits, like this: http://i37.tinypic.com/15en88.png (Still WIP..)

What emulator are you using now? I know DesmuME has a map viewer, but can't find one in iDeaS.

The problem still exists: it's possible for the portrait data to be larger than the viewer can see. Here's an example from LA1:
http://i34.tinypic.com/5txnw6.jpg

Huh. Until we can find a way to decompress the filetypes LA2 uses, i guess this will have to work. Unless someone here knows how to open them. Sick

edit: actually it also depends on what people that put sprites up say, i assume.
There was a guy ripping Luminous Arc 2, but he disappeared. So he used a tile viewing tool or something like that and assembled it manually. So for now there's no easier way as far I know :/
(11-09-2009, 10:53 PM)Ultimecia Wrote: [ -> ]There was a guy ripping Luminous Arc 2, but he disappeared. So he used a tile viewing tool or something like that and assembled it manually. So for now there's no easier way as far I know :/

You mean me? or the guy who ripped Roland / Fire spell? my old thread

and besides, I'm almost positive he (Guy who ripped fireball and roland) ripped the sprites via layers being disabled and AnimGet.

Still debating on how to organize the portraits, i'm probably just going to go with what cuc said.
The guy who ripped Roland. I recall that he used Taxahan or GGD to do so, that's why he stopped, it was so much stuff to assemble/order. I think he started a thread about Luminous Arc ripping at projects. Maybe you guys should PM him and see what you get.
(11-10-2009, 12:38 AM)Ultimecia Wrote: [ -> ]The guy who ripped Roland. I recall that he used Taxahan or GGD to do so, that's why he stopped, it was so much stuff to assemble/order. I think he started a thread about Luminous Arc ripping at projects. Maybe you guys should PM him and see what you get.

Alright, worth a shot. Tongue thanks.
Jesus christ the portraits sheet is going to be huge, even if i keep it only to characters that are in your party.

http://i37.tinypic.com/1232ihj.png

blank space is there because of my bs laptop failing, otherwise it would be submit-able atm.
this is basically a filler post to let you all know i haven't stopped :o
Advice:

1) Arrange the portraits better. Sort them in some order. Also, don't forget trainee Roland and Althea, ending Althea and Fatima.
2) Use ONLY the default face with the full-body portraits whenever possible. The default face is drawn by Shibano Kaito, and other expressions might be by the artists. That makes a difference.

Actually I now know some people who've managed to figure out LA2's image compression; it's just the romhacking community here are very secretive, and it'll probably take some time before they can tell me the algorithm.

I wish I was kidding, but that's all true.
Hey Rhymey, while I haven't talked with them about the compression yet, I do have found the game's test function.

Unpack the game (for example, using dsbuff). In the data\eventData folder, replace eventData0000.bin with eventData0101.bin. Pack the files into a new ROM.

Open the ROM and start a new game. Now you are in the Script Lab. The first option is "Popup Test", and displays all portraits and expression. The second one is "Background Test". The 3rd and 4th option are not useful.
Huh. interesting. this'll save me a lot of time Tongue thanks!