The VG Resource

Full Version: A little help.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[Image: Mustacheart.jpg]
This is a little something I'm making for Pixeljoint, and it's going to be for the weekly challenge. And it needs a mustache, but so far all the mustaches I have tried look horrible.
Any help or ideas?
Since you're using a geometrical design for the face, try making a geometrical moustache, it might work.
Yeah I was thinking f that, but I have no inspiration or anything to base the mustache on.
Any ideas?
The many mustaches of mario.
http://thecontaminated.com/wp-content/up...taches.jpg
It's a whole mess of mustache types with mario's hat pasted above. I'd go with the hook one, but you can see for yourself.

Technically, it looks fine, but it just seems like its missing, I don't know, something. I guess it just looks like there's not enough there.
Thanks Ego, I think I found the one, and I think I know what you mean by "missing something"
I guess it's the backgrounds and some more colors, it needs that little think that every geometrical design has.
I'll keep working on it.

Edit.
[Image: Mustacheart-2.jpg]
Here's a little bit more progress, I added the mustache and a hat. I'm still not sure about the colors...
I just realized it, but you have a problem. You saved it as a jpg. NOT GOOD. While at the moment it isn't noticable till you zoom in, you really need to fix that. Use .png. I fixed it up the best I could with posterizing, but it may not be EXACTLY what it was.
[Image: alcala_stache.png]

One small issue is that while your grays are fine while they're with each other, the grey contrasts too much with the white, as evident on the hat. Also, the outline on the 'stache is WAY too thick, two pixels and then the outer-AA on top of that. Lighten the outer-AA a bit, as right now it just looks like black at 100%. Also, work on rounding out the curves of the 'stache a little.
Oh sorry, I forgot that time.
And yeah that outline was bugging me too, the hat is still a problem painting it, and I think I can round up the stache just a little bit more, since it's suppose to be a bit square-like structure.

Edit.
[Image: Image1.png]

I rounded the stache as muchg as possible without taking the geometrical style off.
I also made the outline a bit less dark, also started painting the hat just a bit(Still bugs me).
Hello there again (sorry for the double post)
Here's the most adavanced mustached sprites I have done.
[Image: Image1-1.png]
I'm not sur eabout the hat or the background...any help guys?
Well, name and border can be scrapped, you missed Weekly Challenge by far.
Also, here' what I would do with the stache.
[Image: Alcala.png]

I kinda like the hat like that, but it's odd because the lightsource for everything else is different. BG is fine except for lame border, just make it a flat color.

Also, double post is okay if you're adding something new to the topic, especially if it's your topic. I didn't know you had an edit until now when you bumped it up.
I see you have rounded the stache, that's one big problem I had, and yeah that lightsource is not matching at all with the hat, I mean the hat is ok, but the nose and the stache are kind of off...
I'll see if I can fix that.

Edit.
[Image: Mustache.png]
Here, I edited just a little bit of the stache (some colors) And I rounded the hat as well and I recolored some features in the glasses and the nose.
And added some stuff in the glases (The curverd end)
I like. Actually, the conflicting lightsources don't bother the piece, In fact, I might even be tempted to say its done!
Really?
Well I like it now that you mention it, I don't think there's much I can to it.
So yeah, I think it is done. Thanks Ego, for all your help.
You're very welcome Alcala.
Ok so I got another problem in my hands. (Not much of a problem)
I was thinking of making the same thing, but with a different hat for each season.
For example
New Year - A Top hat with American flags.
Valentine's day - A hat with a heart on it.
Halloween - A punking hat
Thanksgiving day - A pilgrim hat

Right now I'm working in he pilgrim hat. I'll show you later.
Exciting(and an interesting idea at that!).
Santa hat for Christmas! That is, if you celebrate Christmas. I don't judge.

Maybe something that could make them really special is if you put a splash of color into the special hats, like a gold buckle on the pilgrim hat, the flags could be r/w/b for New Years, the heart could be pink, the santa hat could be red(and you could just recolor the pilgrim hat green for St. Patricks Day). Just an idea I thought would be neat.
Pages: 1 2