The VG Resource

Full Version: Koopaling
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[Image: 2wf6337.jpg]
Before anyone says ANYTHING about the face and hair, I'm not going to change it. It was hard enough making the head. I know the tail is missing. Now then, this is Larry Koopa. C&C please.
If you're not planning to change things (Or at least the head area.) how are we supposed to give C+C? :I
Devicho's got a point

If you're not going to change it then we can't really give much C+C, and the head I'm afraid really does suck.

that and some parts of it look pillowed and needs arms
make the back of the shell fit a little tighter around the legs, and fix the cutoff at the bottom of the feet, and make the spikes on the shell smaller.
(11-07-2009, 03:18 PM)Devicho Wrote: [ -> ]If you're not planning to change things (Or at least the head area.) how are we supposed to give C+C? :I
"Ego, c+c is always helpful for future pixels. And c+c means comment and critique, so, you will alwasy get those. (every comment on art is critique in some way or the other)."
Dra-chan once told me that. Also, he only said he wasn't going to change specific parts.

Prototroid X, it's pretty good. Not amazing, but it isn't really bad either. For simplicity I'm just going to talk about the top left one.
First off, I think your light sources are inconsistent. The shell and green part of the head are coming from the top left, the muzzle, leg, and hair are coming from the top right, and the belly doesn't appear to be affected at all, as does the eye.
In general, the lineart is okay, although not perfect, especially on the muzzle and hair. Also, if the shell were to be as you have it, the koopaling would fall backwards. Either a smaller shell or something underneath it would balance it a little better. Didn't the koopalings have a tail? That could probably do the trick.

P.S. bnewton, the cutoff thing is actually a stylistic choice common to sprites to be used in platformer games. If the ground has a solid line your character stands on, no bottom on the feet makes the sprite look more firmly plantedon the ground. Search around for the Frario-styled warion for a great example of this.
I noticed no shading in the eye. I don't know why you did this, but I guess it works. I'd try putting some sort of shading or highlighting in it, but I don't know how much it would improve it.
You used the off white color you came up with for the eye on the muzzle and in a couple of places. I can see that you probably meant it as another highlighting level, but its impossible to see. Increasing the contrast there would put the muzzle and belly to the proper levels, but put the shell and eye with too much contrast. It's a dilemma. You seem to not care about color count(as you have 21+transparency), so you could probably just make a whole new brighter color for the muzzle and belly. If you really are concerned with color count, replace the dark blue in the ye with the dark blue from the shell. If you do make a brighter color for the muzzle and stuff, you could also try adding some to the eye as a highlighting color if you want.
Just an observation, but you used colored outline on the shell, but no where else. Why?

And that probably looks like a lot of stuff, but most of it is fairly minor. Something I really liked about your piece was the leg. It's shaped well, shaded well, and he colors go VERY well together.

Lastly, I'm not sure where you were going with the animations, but I like set 2 more. Although the leg in the second frame of both sets is shaped kind of awkwardly.

Good job, and good luck. Also, sorry if this makes me sound a little arrogsant for putting so much, I really don't mean it that way.
That's true, but still, the head really could use fixing and I think it'd be better if he did listen and at least try to make edits to it.
(11-07-2009, 04:33 PM)Devicho Wrote: [ -> ]That's true, but still, the head really could use fixing and I think it'd be better if he did listen and at least try to make edits to it.
No argument there, it WOULD be better if he worked on it more.
The more and more I look at the hair, the more I feel that everyone's right about it. I'll change the hair, add the tail, and try to do something about the lightsources.
Anyway, I might do the other koopalings (Iggy is just gonna be an edit of Larry here). Lemmy is gonna be a pain.
You may want to use references to your advantage.

far as I remember Larry's hair points upward, and not downward.
ok, I just noticed he hasn't any arms, why is that?
Is there a difference between the two sets? I can't see any. The face could be a bit better, I think it's the way the eyes look, to be honest. Larry has just two teeth showing (one on each side) and he possesses arms with spiked bracelets. Not bad, could be better. The second frame for the walking cycle looks a bit odd because of the foot.

And my train of thought has crashed.
(11-07-2009, 07:00 PM)Drew Wrote: [ -> ]You may want to use references to your advantage.

far as I remember Larry's hair points upward, and not downward.
Yeah, his hair sticks up quite a bit, although it does arch back.
(11-07-2009, 07:06 PM)bnewton Wrote: [ -> ]ok, I just noticed he hasn't any arms, why is that?

I haven't made the arms yet, that should be obvious.
(11-07-2009, 07:15 PM)ProtoTroid X Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-07-2009, 07:06 PM)bnewton Wrote: [ -> ]ok, I just noticed he hasn't any arms, why is that?

I haven't made the arms yet, that should be obvious.
It is, but people who normally have arms look weird without them.
Well, I've done what I could. I just need to upload it to an image hosting site. Also, if you guys think THIS needs work, you should see my old Larry Koopa sprite.
EDIT: Know how I said I'm gonna do the other Koopalings, and that Iggy was gonna be an edit of Larry? I've decided I'm gonna do Iggy from scratch.
Pages: 1 2