The VG Resource

Full Version: Stone Guy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I need to post my ish here more.

[Image: Stone_Enemy_by_Medevenx.gif]

Inspired by a lot of things. Mainly 1up's style of spriting.
At first thought this was gunna be like a shy guy, but recolored grey.
Anyway, I can barely see the arms, and last time I checked, stone is rough, especially living stone, and dithering suggests it is smooth, which would not fit in with living stone all that much, as living stone creatures tend to stay away from water, and they also tend to be bulky, why is this so unnaturally smooth?
You do realize that throughout that entire post you sounded like you thought that there were actually real, living creatures made of stone right? because there's not, in case you didn't know

Anyways, I think it looks good. Have to agree with the arms though, especially his left one.
the face really looks like a mask, if it its ever meant to be a face in the first place.
uh
bnewton

dithering definitely doesn't make things look smooth

and the reason you can barely see the arms and legs is because it's supposed to be in 1up's style
he at least nailed the arms and legs part, and from what I can see, the torso.

The head doesn't have enough "content", for lack of a better term. Something's missing, though I can't tell what.
I dont know 1up's style, but if that is his style, I'm afraid it has a LOT of flaws, I would never make something that un-detailed, unless it's an 8-bit sprite, and soura, you do realize I'm talking about random encounters in games such as final fantasy, I would think that'd be obvious, so you just made a fool of yourself. And vipershark, dithering gives the impression you're trying to make it smooth. the "something's missing" are the big blocks of rock eyebrows you'd most likely find, and I think that the thing should be a little more, cracked, and the eyes do NOT fit with the idea of 'rocky' although it fits under 'human' and with a side of 'bug' and the face has a stray bit of grey making like there is drool, if I didn't know better, I'd say you're trying to make a zombie, so putting together everything I said is wrong with 'stone guy' this is overall, a river-smoothened statue with painted-on bug-eyes of a zombie.

So I suggest you try again, I mean, it'd take a lot of work to edit the whole thing so it'd look right, and I hope you haven't started animating yet, cuz I can just see the idea of 'slime monster' movement taking the whole idea of stone guy from the sprite.
(11-05-2009, 05:58 PM)bnewton Wrote: [ -> ]I dont know 1up's style, but if that is his style, I'm afraid it has a LOT of flaws, I would never make something that un-detailed, unless it's an 8-bit sprite, and soura, you do realize I'm talking about random encounters in games such as final fantasy, I would think that'd be obvious, so you just made a fool of yourself. And vipershark, dithering gives the impression you're trying to make it smooth. the "something's missing" are the big blocks of rock eyebrows you'd most likely find, and I think that the thing should be a little more, cracked, and the eyes do NOT fit with the idea of 'rocky' although it fits under 'human' and with a side of 'bug' and the face has a stray bit of grey making like there is drool, if I didn't know better, I'd say you're trying to make a zombie, so putting together everything I said is wrong with 'stone guy' this is overall, a river-smoothened statue with painted-on bug-eyes of a zombie.

So I suggest you try again, I mean, it'd take a lot of work to edit the whole thing so it'd look right, and I hope you haven't started animating yet, cuz I can just see the idea of 'slime monster' movement taking the whole idea of stone guy from the sprite.

you honestly don't know what you're talking about

unless your dumb enough to think that it's 8-bit, then no, you are blind. and I'll add that you are not a expert on how to tell whether or not dithering would make something much smoother. learn how to crit please

As fourth with crits on Med's sprite, you seem to have the part on a over saturated colors, but I would add more contrast to the colors to be honest.
Drew has no clue how to crit, and no, I do not think it's 8-bit, what it is, is badly done, but fine, I'll admit that I don't know that much about dithering, but I do know that too much or too little will make the sprite ugleh.
bnewton
shut the hell up
you have NO idea what you're talking about

in fact, if you know so much, edit it yourself and fix all the problems you're talking about. Go ahead; do it.
(11-05-2009, 07:26 PM)bnewton Wrote: [ -> ]Drew has no clue how to crit

Are you saying that to me because your butt hurt about me telling you that you're not making much sense or are you actually trying to prove a point.

I can't tell whether that's hilarious or just sad but hey, what ever you do makes me feel much more knowledgeable at this stuff then you will ever be.
Okay, so now lets get back to the point.

Far I see it, the problem with the sprite is that it doesn't (at all) need dithering in the shading. But rather I think the main problem was that the texture of the sprite itself.

Now, lets look at what a stone statue looks like:
[Image: Figure058.jpg]
notice how worn and dull the statue itself is. This is a cause that, the stone is moderately old it is after the many years it's been around (or something like that) when I compare this to your sprite, it looks more smooth then rough because it lacks those details.

I did end up editing your sprite by using this as a reference, it doesn't look exactly perfect, but notice how much different it is compared to your original sprite in detail.
[Image: stoneenemybymedevenx.png]

My point is, you should at least try to use a reference to make the sprite a little more detailed then it can be without the stress of trying to guess what it will look like.
make that, your job isn't to crit a crit, that's pointless, and I may just do something to fix up the sprite some more...
(11-06-2009, 07:26 AM)bnewton Wrote: [ -> ]make that, your job isn't to crit a crit, that's pointless, and I may just do something to fix up the sprite some more...

actually yes it is my job.

And it's also everyone elses job if it won't if they feel that it won't help, at all.

do keep up, you're just making yourself look more and more dumber then you are now sitting on your ass arguing with me with useless points that are objectionable. or if you want to just end this, then shut up already, it'd be a wiser choice there little boy.
it'd make life easier for everybody if you'd just shut up. why you're trying to pin your life story to me I have no clue, but stop it right now, you troll.

anyway, it now seems pointless for us to do any more, I'll post this since I already made it before thinking that Medevenx hasn't posted in this thread since he/she started it.
[Image: stoneguy.png]
(11-06-2009, 03:36 PM)bnewton Wrote: [ -> ]it'd make life easier for everybody if you'd just shut up. why you're trying to pin your life story to me I have no clue, but stop it right now, you troll.

hey nice come back 10/10 when reality is that I was being serious.

So i'm assuming your life story is sitting in front of your computer acting all high and mighty believing you know everything, when there are things are quote the opposite and they show? but really.

for now, I'm just going to wait on what Med thinks.
bnewton, shut the hell up. You're make no sense and your crits suck, you're copying what others did nor do you even understand what the original sprite is supposed to look like. Stop being a little kid and accept you sound incredibly dumb since your first post in here, likely on the forum.

The head seems undershaded and lacks texture, pretty much. Others have given more details upon these facts but I'm just going to say you need make the head look like its in the same style as the body and limbs. Pretty good for 1up's style supposedly.
Pages: 1 2 3 4