The VG Resource

Full Version: [Art] Jault drawing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Probably the most manly and proportionate character I have ever drawn.

[Image: qsm3op.jpg]

He looks kinda cool because he is more muscular then any character I have drawn, but his design seems terribly plain just left as that.

So please give me constructive criticism about both the way I draw, and his design. Trust me, I have changed, and I will listen to what you say this time, because I want to get better.
love the torso, but the face is kinda odd. Good job, man

would love to see that with some light shading
Good to see some attempts at something other then chibi from you. It's better then I expected it'd be, but it still has some problems. The face for one, the angling doesn't really make much sense.
The back arm is not defined enough for the positioning that you want - instead of looking like it's going back and resting on his hip, it looks like it's a weird shortened blob. There are also issues with your other arm, though these are more minor, and mostly deal with the hand and elbow areas.

Structure arms based on the shoulder, elbow and hand - from there, if you have a proper understanding of those, the arms themselves should fall into place. As of now, there is no definable elbow and the shoulder doesn't really look like a shoulder as much as it does another part of the arm.

The torso is too long for the legs and arms, and should be shorter - alternatively, the arms and legs could be longer. The feet are too big and the differing angles make them (notably the one on the right) a little misshapen. The one on the left is bigger then the one on the right by a noticable amount.

Make your legs a little longer and do the same thing I suggested with arms - structure them around the hip, knee and heel. The rest should fall into place.

The hands are weird and the fingers are a little too big.
Everything that Giz said plus the fact that the tip of his fingers should measure out to go half way down the thigh when his arms are completely straight. It's not too bad but it is a little short.
It reminds me of Riku from Kingdom Hearts.
Alright, so basically: Learn how to draw arms, Learn how to draw hands, learn how to angle heads, learn how to put body parts in a consistent proportion, and something about feet. I'll look it up.

Ok, so I'll take these things into consideration for the next time I draw him, but what about his design? He is supposed to be pretty rugged and out of style, his clothing should then probably be worn, as he likes to get into fights but always wins, perhaps something like a shredded jacket would fit, and perhaps holes in his jeans in spots. I'm not digging the (Garden?) gloves either.

What do you guys think would be cool? (he is supposed to be one of the main characters by the way)
[Image: Riku.jpg]
for comparison to riku
Depends on the setting, really.

If it's a relatively modern setting, give him some sneakers, torn jeans, tight crotch, maybe add a tear in the tank-top somewhere. A worn leather jacket could work pretty well, too.

Otherwise, take that basic idea and transplant it into the setting or style that you've got in place now.
(10-28-2009, 11:15 PM)Gizmonicgamer Wrote: [ -> ]give him torn jeans, tight crotch, maybe add a tear in the tank-top somewhere. A worn leather jacket could work pretty well, too.

What? No, don't do this.
Oh come on, you don't want him to look like Terry Bogard????
He makes it look a lot better than how you phrase it. =/
Well let me think... He is a character for the same game I've been working on for the past year. Though his role will be differeant from game to game. But in this game right now, your playing as Koki, and from his perspective (I have been working on the story, lot's has changed, but maybe that's for another topic later), Jault is the main antagonist. But Jault is supposed to be some human immortal several hundreds of thousands of years old. Setting is unfixed, it's like modern time except in some fantasy world (not completely unlike the idea of Touhou's Gensokyo but not nearly as Japanese.), though there are magics and spells, but also things like computers and missiles, yea some weird fantasy land. Though the game's story is most likely going to be pretty complicated.

Anyway, keeping in mind that Jault's old and all, maybe something Fire Emblem-isque would work nicely with this?