The VG Resource

Full Version: Marina
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I didn't see any topics for her yet, so I might as well start it.

This is the Marina sheet as of 10/18/09:
[Image: temp.tif]

Animations:
[Image: marinaidle.gif]
[Image: marinawalk.gif]
[Image: marinarun.gif]
[Image: marinajump.gif]

Sheet History:
Gorsal started the first Marina sprite sometime last year, I believe. Earlier this year, he decided to restart the sheet to get the sprite to better fit the style. I joined him in his sheet making after he posted his first revision.

Anyway, if I'm correct, there's a frame I don't have on the sheet that Gorsal did, but I don't have it.
Also, this sheet has some fixes from the last time a Marina sheet was posted. I added the jump, fall, and land poses. I also fixed an incredibly grievous error: her chest was too big.

Finally, the frame at the top with the bigger eyes was just an experiment. Does she look better with bigger eyes or smaller eyes? Personally, I think smaller eyes look better, but the bigger eyes can be more expressive, as well as more accurate.

Oh yeah, and I'm still going to work in this style until someone can finalize the project's official style.
Looks great. I like the bigger eyes.
I really detest to having her on the list. Why don't we have a Namco character instead?
We used to have a Namco character on the roster, KOS-MOS, but she was booted. *shrugs*
I dunno. Why was KOS-MOS kicked?
imo we should have kosmos and marina considering they're two of the best sprited characters and WE HAVE TO START BEING A BIT LESS PICKY ABOUT WHO GETS IN CONSIDERING TSR'S STELLAR REP FOR GETTING THINGS DONE. also because they're awesome
Yes because good sprites matter more than a good roster right?
Marina is awesome and hugely deserves to be in.
@koopaul, that depends on what the definition of "good roster" is. Do we mean good as in only the most important, most likely candidates? Or do we mean good as in broad possibilities in gameplay?

I'll agree, she isn't the best possibility (importance-wise) for Treasure, let alone even third-party, but she has a moveset that relies mostly on grabbing the enemy and their projectiles. Meanwhile, while Saki would probably best represent Treasure, he's just like the other sword/projectile user possibilities.
(10-18-2009, 08:57 PM)Sploder Wrote: [ -> ]I dunno. Why was KOS-MOS kicked?
From what I remember, a few people complained about her getting in over Klonoa or Pacman.
What exactly would PacMan do anyway? Eat stuff?
(10-18-2009, 11:25 PM)Sploder Wrote: [ -> ]What exactly would PacMan do anyway? Eat stuff?

Or he could run away crying, like in that one game... Was it PacMan 2? I have no idea.
(10-18-2009, 10:44 PM)Sploder Wrote: [ -> ]@koopaul, that depends on what the definition of "good roster" is. Do we mean good as in only the most important, most likely candidates? Or do we mean good as in broad possibilities in gameplay?

I'll agree, she isn't the best possibility (importance-wise) for Treasure, let alone even third-party, but she has a moveset that relies mostly on grabbing the enemy and their projectiles. Meanwhile, while Saki would probably best represent Treasure, he's just like the other sword/projectile user possibilities.

If there's one thing I'm certain of... movests SHOULD NOT be used to decide a roster!

Smash Bros. is a fanfare of classic and important video game characters. First and foremost. Everyone should know this!
yes, because representation is always more important than gameplay. also, we should work with what we have considering we have all of one fully completed and up to standards and the count isn't getting higher very quickly
While I agree that representation is very important in deciding who is let into Smash, it is definitely not the only thing that decides a character's admittance.
There are already some characters in Smash that are more interesting choices in game play rather than representatives of importance.
Examples:
1. The Ice Climbers. While they are fairly representative of the NES era, they are not necessarily the most well-known. Why did Nintendo choose them over other not-so-well-known characters from the time, such as Pit (this is Melee, I'm talking about...), the balloon guy, Lolo, Bubbles, or any other such NES character? Really, as far as Smash goes, the Ice Climbers are best known for their game play gimmick of controlling two characters at once.
2. ROB. I never had a ROB, but from what I've heard, the games that used it weren't very good. He may also represent the NES times, but he's probably known better for being one of Nintendo's less successful experiments. Once again, in Smash, he stands out from the other characters with a somewhat different game play style than everyone else. I guess we're just lucky they didn't decide to make a Virtual Boy into a character.

At the same time, I will definitely say that representation is quite important in choosing characters. Otherwise, we likely wouldn't have so many clones...
Yes, I am blaming clones on a focus on importance over game play.

... And I think I just confused myself reading back over my argument...
Pages: 1 2 3 4