The VG Resource

Full Version: A Flygon and more?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Also known as, 'I really wanted to 1-up FlygonXS'.

In some ways, I did, in some ways, I didn't. My newbyish shading skills didn't help, but I tried my best.
[Image: flyingmegadrivetsr.gif]
All the colours in the image have been designed to be Mega Drive/Genesis compatible (To go in part with a ROM hack I was making), as well as the resolution of the image (Though, this is debatable, I designed it with a PAL Mega Drive in mind, NTSC users, god forbid, will have to cut off 16 rows of pixel).

I don't normally expect this to be accepted, but since a similar work by FlygonXS got though?Tongue

P.S. I appreciate that XS put a lot of work into his sprite, I mean no offense in any of my messages towards him, if offense has been made, I apologize profusely.

Note: Technically, this is an edit, but it is drastic enough to blur the line. The image the sprite is based on.
I'm not really that knowledgeable of a person when it comes to spriting, but it looks really good to me.

The outside of the wing on the right (Flygon's left Tongue) looks a little rough, though.
The shading's pretty rough, as is the lineart in a few places. And although you've imposed linitations on yourself to get it in a style, it... I don't look at it and think 'Genesis' or '16-Bit', y'know? Could you place it side-by-side to some pixelart that came from a Genesis game? That way you can see if the kind of shading style is similar.

So I'll move this to Sprite Discussion for now.
It is designed to work quite literally inside the Mega Drives palette restrictions, as well as the screen resolution of a PAL machine.

I am 100% able to guarantee you this is Mega Drive capable!

In fact, all of my art is Mega Drive compatible. The VERY FEW times I drift from this is if I can't get enough gradient.
[Image: peco4xsize.png]
This WIP is one of the very few times I have drifted from the limitations, though it did use them as a base with me inserting 'inbetween' colours.

And for even more proof that the original base (Though I had based this on an even smaller version of the image... it used to be 48*48) was Mega Drive compatible.
[Image: peco2xsize.png]
There, eat your fish.

In fact, I will even grab you the raw palette file of the Flygon if you really wish to object so.

Open this with your favorite Mega Drive compatible palette editor, I suggest HivePal.

Edit: Far out, I am so buzzed, damn this creaming soda. I mean no offense in this post. I'll uh... rewrite it tomorrow morning when I am not buzzed.
That's not what I meant, more like it doesn't 'look' like it's come from a megadrive game, even if it's within the restrictions.

For example, take a look at the pixelart here:
http://www.spriters-resource.com/genesis...heet/22844
The way it uses dithering, the number of colours and the level of contrast, just screams 'retro'.
You seem to have some trouble with depth and contrast. I'd say that's almost a good thing though, since they're fairly easy to improve upon. Your form seems all in tact. I think you should use Graphics Gale to make your pixelart, because it will help you control your palettes and create better contrast in your art.
I'm sorry about cracking it earlier, though it is no excuse, I was buzzed on Creaming Soda (Seriously, I thought only Coca Cola would do that to me, now I've learnt my lesson =\).

Contrast ans depth has always been an issue for me, perhaps I should indeed give Graphics Gale a shot, thanks for the help and sorry for cracking it earlier.
Doesn't look like it's from a megadrive game. The megadrive, having a pretty poor palette when compared to the SNES, shaded in a certain way to get more out from what it had. Your line art is also a bit bumpy, looks like you've simply traced the image.
The Sega Genesis shading always had a very "pixelated" feeling, unlike the more smooth and subtele shading seen in the Snes.
The only thing I could say is suggest you to visit this link for visual examples of the Genesis's graphic style: http://www.vgmuseum.com/ and compare it with your pixel art.