The VG Resource

Full Version: Metroid Prime Trilogy - A Review and Suggestion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi tSR, Been a while.

I find myself to be a hardcore Metroid fan out of nowhere. Throughout the years, my subconscious has told me to appreciate those said games. The depth, the atmosphere, the style, THE ART Heart. I fell in love with the series out of nowhere. I love Metroid for NES, I love Super Metriod, I love Fusion, Zero Mission, and the Prime Series. In turn I find myself with a MODEST COLLECTION.

So getting back to this recent goldmine, Metroid Prime Trilogy. This collection is by far a wonderful purchase, for someone that ENJOYS the series.

Cons:

A warning to people that have all 3 games previously, the games are HARDLY any different, there has been some things taken out, mainly water and particle effects. The main difference is the controls, and if any of you have played Metroid Prime 3: Corruption and Liked it, you'll LOVE this collection. Some bosses that were broken and unfair to fight before were vaguely gimped, enough to make a difference, but not enough to make it easy, some people consider this a good thing, others can consider it a bad one. The main issue with Metriod Prime Trilogy is that Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, has remained unchanged except for some glitches being fixed. Metroid Prime Trilogy can be considered a set-back if you already own 2 or all 3 games, so it is a question to pay a full $49 for games that you have already paid for.

Pros:
The games have been slightly re-textured on some of the blocky textures found in Metroid Prime 1 and 2. In Metroid Prime 1 the bloom effects that were added add an unparalleled sense of ambiance to once bland settings that were found in areas, making some of your visors more important to use as it can impair you and make a boss, enemies, and so on become more of a challenge to fight. A point system is found in the games now, as you can "purchase" unlockables, as well as the Metroid Fusion Suit for Metroid Prime 1, making everyone able to play as the Comic Book-esque version of Samus.

The main reason to purchase this collection is to experience the controls of Metriod Prime 3: Corruption, in it's previous forms. Metroid Prime 1 and 2 feel so refreshed and smooth with the control engine as it allows you to control the game with unprecedented precision, as well as feel as though you aren't a stiff robot, but a deadly and sleek bounty hunter of the stars. the controls have been integrated flawlessly, as the first two games seem as though they had the controls all along.

My opinion could be considered bias, but I understand that there are flaws to this, it ultimately comes down to the taste of the gamer.

Summary:
Pros:
+ Intuitive Control
+ Minimal to No glitches
+ Bloom Lighting for MP1
+ Addition of Points system for all bonus items and Extras
+ 3 Wonderful games on one disc.

Cons:
- Particle effects and Water Ripples removed from MP1
- Full Price for 3 Games that have been out for a while.
- Gimping of bosses (mainly just boost guardian in MP2)
- Not able to use Classic Controller, or GCN to control the games as an option. (But I bought it to play it with MP3's Controls)

Metroid Prime Trilogy is a treat to hardcore Metroid fans, people that couldn't get the first or second or third game, or newcomers to the franchise.

I absolutely love it, if you couldn't tell. Cute
Why the hell would they remove water ripples or particle effects from MP1?

Quote:This collection is by far a wonderful purchase, for someone that ENJOYS the series.
sub-series.
|:
(09-18-2009, 11:47 AM)Gizmonicgamer Wrote: [ -> ]Why the hell would they remove water ripples or particle effects from MP1?

Quote:This collection is by far a wonderful purchase, for someone that ENJOYS the series.
sub-series.
|:

It's still unsure on why, but they had to for some reason. As for the Sub-Series comment, It's an easy mistake, so don't snap at me too quick..
Nah, not gonna snap at you. It just irks me when people treat Prime as if it is the Metroid series~
I've played all of the Metroid games and I find it enjoyable as a plataform. I got Metroid Prime 3 for the Wii because I was in dire need for some FPS that was a bit different from the others and I liked it. I think I'll be getting the Trilogy, because I haven't played any of the other Primes before and I'm really in a loss story-wise. So for me I believe the Trilogy version is the way to go.
The particle effects on the Arm Cannon when you charge up your shots were removed from Trilogy MP 1 because originally those particles were 2D images. But with the new MP 3 control scheme added to Trilogy MP 1, it would be weird if those 2D particle effects were kept so they were removed outright. As to why Retro just didn't remake the effects in 3D, who knows. I have no idea why Retro took out the water ripples either.

I'm willing to forgive the missing effects though, because I love how Retro compiled the games.
I also like most of the music in the Prime games being available for unlocking so that you can listen to them whenever you want.

Anyways I'm in Torvus Bog in MP 2. I had just fetched the Gravity Boost, so it's time to go find the Dark Torvus Temple Keys.
I own Corruption already and got about 80% though that extra hard difficulty (Which I forget the name of)

I finished Prime 1 & 2 with 100% scans and on hard mode each.

I'll probably buy the Trilogy at some stage Just so I can get all nostalgic...
HI Medri Fogmatio,

Well,Retro Studios' Metroid Prime Trilogy is one of the greatest videogame sets that money can buy. And really, is it any surprise? We're talking about three titles which scored 9.5 or better, usually garnered straight 10s in the categories of presentation and gameplay, and are generally viewed by Nintendo supporters as some of the best interactive experiences available today. So when you slap them all together in a collector's edition box, add in some welcomed new features, make some tweaks here and some refinements there, and cram it all onto a single Wii disc alongside an art booklet, do I really need to spend words and time telling you that it's just as good as you think it is? Just in case you answered yes -- well then, it's just as good as you think it is.

Thanks
Thanks for the info. I was planning on buying this game later on, anyways.
It has all three of them too and its kickass as well. If you really wanted to play them before the Gamecube were hard to get, the Trilogy is your man.