The VG Resource

Full Version: Wii & Wii System Updates
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
This thread is for discussing general things about the Wii that you don't believe needs it's own thread.

Anyways there's a new Wii update available (US confirmed, other regions still unknown).

Wii Menu v3.3
+ Miis in the Mii Plaza can be moved to the Mii Parade. (Mii Channel)

- System now checks for illegal/altered save files and nukes them on the spot. You know what that means... <.<
Aside from preventing pirating and modding, the added Mii function is almost entirely pointless. I suppose they wanted to have some part of the update that was positive and noticeable to the average user. I wonder what the system will do if it detects a mod-chip or homebrew apps installed?
Well, atleast you might get a wider variety of Miis in the Mii parade. I think Miis you get in the Mii plaza should get a special color of its own so that way you can tell its from the mii plaza, much like the miis you get from the mii parade wearing blue pants.
Apparently Freeloader got bricked with the latest update. Bye bye importing from other regions.
Freeloader still works. All rumors about freeloader not working are false. Nintendo don't give two shits about the freeloader.
This update prevents the use of the 'Twilight Hack', which is a savestate for LoZ: Twilight Princess that allowed you to by-pass the firmware and upload homebrew software to your Wii. If you already had the homebrew channel on your Wii it leaves it alone, but it disables the use of the hacked save-state.
Ouch! The Twilight Hack was a big opportunity for hackers, good and bad. This really bites.
I don't know why Nintendo really cares about the altered saves. I mean, I couldn't care less unless they're trying to use them online or in competitions. Specifically Brawl, Mario Kart, and Pokemon Battle Revolution. Guitar Hero 4 I will only care about if they don't add the custom songs to the Wii version.
If you worked hard to create and sell a console, you'd probably be peeved if people started trying to hack/mod it.
Necropost, but I don't want to make a dupe topic.

There was a minor firmware update issued last night for the Wii.

Wii Shop Channel Updates:
1) Wii Points will soon be called Nintendo Points, and all references as such will be updated. All other functionality with Nintendo Points will remain the same.

2) The controller usage explanation screen was updated.
>> The design of the controller icons was updated on the controller usage explanation screen.
>> The controller usage explanation screen was separated from the purchase screen. Along with this, the user will now be prompted to confirm that they have the required accessories before being able to press the Purchase button.

Misc Updates:
Wii Firmware Update scans for unauthorized save files and removes them.

Only mentioning this because Nintendo is still out to try nuking the Twilight Hack.
They're changing them to Nintendo Points because †he DSi will be using them too. However it is ironic that they do it so soon seeing how America won't be getting the DSi until late 2009.
(06-16-2008, 11:37 PM)Yoder Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder what the system will do if it detects a mod-chip or homebrew apps installed?
It fried my SD card, that's what. Tongue
I lent my Wii to my friend and when he was trying to play brawl online he updated my Wii, and now I don't have an SD card. _ _"
(10-23-2008, 11:13 AM)koopaul Wrote: [ -> ]They're changing them to Nintendo Points because †he DSi will be using them too. However it is ironic that they do it so soon seeing how America won't be getting the DSi until late 2009.
that's not irony but w/e
(06-17-2008, 01:51 PM)yoursavior Wrote: [ -> ]This update prevents the use of the 'Twilight Hack', which is a savestate for LoZ: Twilight Princess that allowed you to by-pass the firmware and upload homebrew software to your Wii. If you already had the homebrew channel on your Wii it leaves it alone, but it disables the use of the hacked save-state.

heh i know this is a dumb qusetion but wat is a twlight hack i know i seen some vids of it but dont explain as much and twlight is also considerd pirating right...and will it brick the wii if upload uncorrectly
The twilight hack is a hacked zelda twilight princess save file. When you load your game using it, it allows you to run homebrew.
Pages: 1 2 3