The VG Resource

Full Version: Demenium II!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Clicky.

For those of you who never played the first Dementium, it was a rough-cut survival-horror FPS for the Nintendo DS that managed to squeeze out quite a bit of fun, a solid 60fps framerate, excellent atmosphere, and some decent combat into a DS title.

It had its share of problems, like fairly dumb enemy AI, a finicky save system, severely repetitive nature, and Doom 3's "One Functional Arm" system, allowing you to hold a weapon or a flashlight, but not both.

It's good to see that Renegade Kid (the developer) is trying to fix a lot of the problems and complaints associated with the first Dementium. Just by studying the screenshots, you can figure out quite a bit about the title, such as the ability to use a flashlight and a weapon simultaneously, more intelligent enemies (human enemies should be intelligent, at least), and the possibility of heavier emphasis on improvised weaponry, a la Condemned.

And then, reading the article on the first look at the title, we get more information: more variety, a better save system, an improved map (probably to encourage expoloration), and a longer, better game in general.

You can look forward to it or don't, I could care less. But this is definitely going to be at or near the top of my must-play list before it comes out, so expect me to jizz at the mouth about it.

On another note, Chest Maws make a return fuck yes, let's hope they got rid of those stupid floating heads.
Dude those floating heads were fucking insane until you get the buzzsaw. Very Sad
Looking forward to this game in an "Oh look, I might give that a play" kind of way.
(08-25-2009, 03:22 PM)Arthur Wrote: [ -> ]Dude those floating heads were fucking insane until you get the buzzsaw. Very Sad

And once you got the buzzsaw, they became stupid easy. I really hope the buzz-saw gets either toned down or replaced in Dementium II.
Maybe something like limited battery power?
Something like that. I could understand the rationale of the buzz-saw if there were more enemies with long-range attacks, but when most of your adversaries rely on melee combat, and you've got a weapon that out-does their attacks... yeah, may as well drop the "survival" bit from survival horror, because then it fails to be emphasized.

Part of the point of survival horror is to make the player feel vulnerable, and handing them a weapon that'll take on all but two enemy types with no trouble at all is not the way to do it.

However, it looks like the Shank and Sledgehammer might be replacing the nightstick and buzz-saw. Let's hope, eh?
Yeah I have to agree, the game was just way too easy once you got the buzz saw. But I'm actually not that great at videogames so it was a huge help for me. >.>
But yeah, I think the one thing that really made the first game for me was playing it with headphones. The heartbeat right in my ears just made the game 500% better. As long as this one has that I don't see it doing too bad. Tongue