The VG Resource

Full Version: Spriting?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Question. Would spriting be like drawing? Start out with basic line construction, the small details, etc.
Personally, it's like drawing, but for the opposite reason.
Details come later.
Block out your idea first, either in blocks of color or lineart - whichever you prefer, and add details near the end.
It also depends if you're doing an animation. For animations, you generally stay away from too much detail.
It generally depends on how you find it easiest to approach. A lot of people start with block colour shapes and then refine it, trimming and such down the right shape, then filling in with detail and shading.
Ah. It's just that someone people I've ran into can sprite very well, yet they can't draw at all. I plan on getting into the Tales style, eventually working my way up towards the Destiny Remake or Tales of Destiny 2(PS2) style.
Ideally, you have to have a grounding in traditional art before moving on to digital media (pixelart/spriting is a digital medium). But it is not rare to be good at spriting and bad in drawing. Think about it; there are a lot of people who are bad at spriting but good at drawing, right? Smile
And sticking to just one art medium (aka, sticking to just spriting) is unhealthy. I advise you to practice drawing AND spriting (and don't forget the other media; painting, vectors, etc) so that you can improve your skill in both areas.

Just curious, can you show the latest sprite work you've done? I just want to see how well you can already sprite. Smile
I more good at conversions. I had a sprite on the old forums. But, I'll whip something up.