The VG Resource

Full Version: Super Smash Bros Brawl Engine
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Recently, I've been working on a Smash Bros engine. Right now, it's in Beta form, with only 2 playable characters, and many features not yet implemented. I plan to use most of the sprites from the TSR Smash Bros project. However, I'm trying to complete the engine before I add much more characters.

Here is the latest version: http://www.sheezyart.com/art/view/1757844/

Credits are in the description.
I've played this and faved it before. Nice engine.
This right here is a pretty good engine. Keep it up!
I believe you've got the basics more than right. This one doesn't have potention, this already proves that you can pull this off. If just these two characters were in the game and the fighting element was finished, it would be enough as a short game.

It's a great ambition, you've got much further than I would have. But then again I have the patience and discipline as an ADD patient.

By the way, did you do this in ActionScript 3? Because it does run very smooth. I still need to learn AS3 though, I got stuck half-way AS2.
Woah this is a lot better than that crappy Super Smash Flash game on Newgrounds! The controls are smooth, so are the animations, this engine's amazing! Are you releasing the engine to the public eventually, because I would be THRILLED to be able to use it.
GaryCXJk Wrote:I believe you've got the basics more than right. This one doesn't have potention, this already proves that you can pull this off. If just these two characters were in the game and the fighting element was finished, it would be enough as a short game.

It's a great ambition, you've got much further than I would have. But then again I have the patience and discipline as an ADD patient.

By the way, did you do this in ActionScript 3? Because it does run very smooth. I still need to learn AS3 though, I got stuck half-way AS2.
It was programmed in AS2 as my 3rd attempt to create a Smash Bros. Engine (from scratch), and I've thought of making it in AS3. However, I still need to find a way to make adding in stuff, like new Movesets, Menus, etc. in AS3 that doesn't take 10x longer than it does in AS2.

sba sb3002 Wrote:Woah this is a lot better than that crappy Super Smash Flash game on Newgrounds! The controls are smooth, so are the animations, this engine's amazing! Are you releasing the engine to the public eventually, because I would be THRILLED to be able to use it.

If you mean release to the public as in give out the source file, then maybe not. At least not before the games finished (which is far away), and not the entire game.

In other news, the next thing I plan to add is Kirby and his unique traits, like his copy abilities, which would be a tedious task; but I think I have a way that I only need 1 Sprite Sheet and dynamically placed hats/masks. After that I plan to setup a server to use for potential online play.
Runouw Wrote:
GaryCXJk Wrote:I believe you've got the basics more than right. This one doesn't have potention, this already proves that you can pull this off. If just these two characters were in the game and the fighting element was finished, it would be enough as a short game.

It was programmed in AS2 as my 3rd attempt to create a Smash Bros. Engine (from scratch), and I've thought of making it in AS3. However, I still need to find a way to make adding in stuff, like new Movesets, Menus, etc. in AS3 that doesn't take 10x longer than it does in AS2.

Yeah, I think I know what you mean. AS3 is too much a hassle just to make a simple button.
could i be in the game could i be in the super smash bros brawl game

my email is [email protected]
vfire27 Wrote:could i be in the game could i be in the super smash bros brawl game

my email is [email protected]

I don't think I can put him into the game. I don't want to put in any custom characters, and he is not the right style to fit in.
Very nice engine, hope to see the final version soon. Genki ^_^
All the more reason to finish the smash bros project and all the more reason for pik to loosen up...
Nice game engine the jump blur thing was epic though i was disappointed when i threw a pokeball and nothing came out other than that flawless
I just updated it... now Kirby is playable, although several of his animations and attacks are incomplete... Kirby now has the potential to use many different copy abilities without the need to import entirely new sprite sheets for each hat. The only issue is that I might have to create many custom sprites. Pretty soon, I'll update it with the rest of the 3 character's attacks/animations complete, perhaps along with several new items and pokeballs that actually do something.
Great Job, I'm enjoying this throughly.

Though, I have a question, will you only be adding characters from Brawl, or will you add a few who didn't make it?
Rags Wrote:Great Job, I'm enjoying this throughly.

Though, I have a question, will you only be adding characters from Brawl, or will you add a few who didn't make it?

Yes, I was planning on putting in popular characters that people wanted in Brawl, like Geno, Megaman, Zero, Cless, Lloyd, and a few others. Otherwise this game would just be a clone of Brawl...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8