The VG Resource

Full Version: BYOND
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
is this even worth trying to get into
because I want to make multiplayer games but this looks like total crap
I've seen some amazing games, but the program is hard and inflexible as hell
I'd say the opposite. I've seen some crap games, but it's extremely flexible.

With the exception of 3d games, this system is limitless. If you know how to program it, that is. I do; I've been doing it for five years. It's one of the few things I'm actually great at. If I set my mind to it I can create a decent game in a matter of a week.
are you limited to a byond server or can you host your own
(08-02-2009, 10:50 PM)Vipershark Wrote: [ -> ]are you limited to a byond server or can you host your own

I'm fairly sure you can host your own

and Mewthriii, I could NOT make heads or tails of that program and I could not get it to do ANYTHING I wanted

:L
(08-03-2009, 03:05 PM)oB2Ko Mario Wrote: [ -> ]I'm fairly sure you can host your own

and Mewthriii, I could NOT make heads or tails of that program and I could not get it to do ANYTHING I wanted

:L

Did you check out Zilal's beginner tutorial? That can teach you almost anything you need to know.

I'll admit, it is a tad unorthodox, but if you can figure it out, it's easy to get used to.
I checked out one beginner tutorial, but again it was inflexible

and I couldn't piece anything together :<
Dear lord I hope you didn't try to code it with C! DDDDDDDDVery Sad

It does have it's own language which is much like python, but slightly different. And it compiles resource files itself, so all you have to do is link to the file using icon='', or icon_state="" for icon states.

It's not inflexible, you're just being stubborn. Though I'll admit, learning BYOND is the hardest thing in the world if you've worked with other languages before it.
(08-05-2009, 08:57 PM)Mewthriii Wrote: [ -> ]Dear lord I hope you didn't try to code it with C! DDDDDDDDVery Sad

It does have it's own language which is much like python, but slightly different. And it compiles resource files itself, so all you have to do is link to the file using icon='', or icon_state="" for icon states.

It's not inflexible, you're just being stubborn. Though I'll admit, learning BYOND is the hardest thing in the world if you've worked with other languages before it.
The only thing I've ever had experience in coding is Gamemaker
so Very Sad

yeah, though. I just found it hard, and I couldn't get it to work, so I just ended up quitting on it

well, that and I didn't have any ideas on what to code, so :<

all I know is that in the tutorial I used just to make an overhead adventure thing, the character would go half a pixel a second and then flew across the screen.
I just wanted a steady movement Very Sad
wait if it's like python then it'll definitely be hard if you know GML

Python isn't an object oriented language, but C is, and GML is like C
apparently Python is really hard to use if you're used to object oriented programming (it is for me, at least.) because the way you use it is so different
I've read some crazy stores, but anyway
BYOND is oriented, though.

I just meant that it's more like python than C in that it doesn't make use of semicolons and { } brackets. But I suppose it is very much like GML. BYOND is great if you want something that's slightly tougher than GM's click-and-drag-with-some-scripting approach and want something more exclusive. With the new skin editor, it's like REALBasic for PC.

@ Ob2ko, that's the BYOND running system at work. There's a special source code that you can add to make characters walk steadily. They walk in 32x32 squares, though; if you want pixel movement, there's yet another source code you can get for that.

Once you learn to work with it you will never give it up.
-but it certainly can let you down.

In all honesty, it may not even be worth it to make something with this.

I have played many "top ranked" games, and none of them are really of any notable quality.
The longer you program with BYOND, the more you realize how amazing some of the games are. You can have excellent graphics in a slapped-together game and likewise have terrible graphics in a game that took tons of effort. Making it look good is the easy part; making it work is the hard part.

I'll admit, it's difficult and kind of exhausting, but, like ZeldaClassic, it's great for making something quick and fun.