The VG Resource

Full Version: Let's Make an RPG! (GrooveMan.exe Style)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

cranky_cunt2acca03e

Now commandeered by everyone's favourite GrooveMan!

Making an RPG can be fun, but is also extremely difficult. As fallible human beings, we're not perfect - and so for large tasks it's more effective if we work together.

So lets make RPGs together! This isn't *quite* a group project. Group projects tend to end in conflict when members can't agree what goes into the game. So! This time around we'll make our own games, but help other participants out when they get stuck.

Let's break this diown into simple steps and instructions.
- We're doing this in RPG Maker, either in XP or VX editions. So if you want to participate, the first step is to get ahold of that program. It's pretty simple if you know how to use Google, filesharing sites, and/or torrents.
- Sign up to be a Producer or a Helper! Producers are people who want to make a game in RPG Maker. You'll be entirely in charge of your own RPG, so you can decide what resources you'll incorporate.
Helpers are for people who want to participate, but don't necessarily want to make the RPG themselves. Sometimes you just want to help out, and we commend you!
- People who sign up as Producers also take at least a partial role in Helping. Just because you're making your own game doesn't mean you're automatically too busy to help other people!
- Over the course of the next few weeks and months (Yeah, you're in for the long haul), there'll be RPG Design Threads, posted and stickied just like the sprite contest threads. In these we'll discuss an aspect of game design in RPGs, and the participants can post their ideas as to how their RPG will go. This is the opportunity for everyone to get involved, share ideas and help eachother.
- There'll be a couple of weeks between each Design Thread so people can impliment all the things they discussed.
- If you want to sign up as the process is underway, by all means! You're on your own in terms of catching up, though!

Eventually (hopefully), we can produce a bunch of entertaining and unique RPGs this way, and with less effort and stress compared to if you had tried to do it alone. Once we do have finished entries, there'll be judging and rewards for exemplary work, awesome game design, wonderful helpers, and everything in between.

I'll update this stickied thread with links to the RPG Design threads as we go. We'd love to see you participate!
RPG Design Thread 1: Game Worlds

Here is our roster right now.

Entrants (Producers):
1. Raytheon
2. Vipershark
3. ZeroTwo
4. Kori (Solitaire)
5. Groovybaby
6.Tuna Unleashed
7. Zach (KK)

Entrants (Helpers):
1. Dark Ultima
2. Koopaul
3. Rai

Please make sure that before you enter, you will have time to actually make progress.
How long will it be going for? If there is enough time ill gladly participate but otherwise i'd love to be a judge.

cranky_cunt2acca03e

as long as it take si would imagine. once some of the games start wrapping up, or people start slacking off i will make a deadline but until there i say it is open time limit.
H'okay, a few questions: For Characters, what if it's a Metroid-style isolation fest? And when it comes to Playtime, what if it overstays its welcome?
I'll join as an entrant.
jumping in this
hopefully I can make one of my ideas a reality :p

cranky_cunt2acca03e

The longer the better, imo. And solo heros are okay I guess but I would prefer multiple characters.
i need to find that character following script for rmxp i had some years ago
just wondering, does it have to be XP or can we use VX?
Because VX is really better, (insert engrish slogan)

no, but seriously can I use rm2003
I like its default battle system better

cranky_cunt2acca03e

i do aswell but there is a script to mak eit liek that in RMXP if you want. honeslt ythough i would liek to keep it on the same program so everyone is on the same page
aight that's cool
when do we start? when we have all 8 people?
This sounds cool but I have no idea how to work RPG Maker XP (I'm assuming that's what RMXP stands for, haha) and by proxy, do not have it. Good luck to all those entering!

cranky_cunt2acca03e

it has a very shallow learning curve. i am adding the applicants names down now. also, start whenever you'd like as there is not time limit. (for now)
let me be a judge. i want to judge.
yo mods
this is a serious chad topic (as in, he spells correctly in the OP)
this means it will definitely be a good topic
I highly suggest pinning it like he says
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7