The VG Resource

Full Version: Going out of my comfort zone... going out of my comfort zone...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
okay too far out of my comfort zone

This was an attempt at Ahruon's SSBB sprite style, and
yeah
[Image: WhatthehelldidIdo.png]

continue/finish yes or no?

I've spent a good three days working on this, but then the light-source got wonky and the pixel-art went to shit

only things I like about this is the face and the pointing arm
Anatomy and proportions are the two main problems I notice here. I'm not familiar with the style but I'm trusting you in respecting it.
Finish it. If not, restart from scratch. I know it's hard to restart but I think you need a fresh, new kick.
He's barrel chested, barrel waisted as well, his hands are to large, his feet are to small, and you may want to add a small amount more shading in the crotch area, and the left leg.
I can find no problems but the face, but I am a big AA fan so you wont get much critic from me anyhow.
the legs are WAAAAY too small in comparison with his body.
It does look pretty in style, there are some anatomical issues. I'd start with the legs cuz they're definitely too small :0

other than the problems stated above this is pretty good :>
[Image: corrections.png] I know my little edit here is a mess to lookt at, at first. But if you zoom in at at least 6x in paint, maybe even 8 you'll be able to understand it better. I did a quick little gesture drawing over your sprite, to anatomically map it out a little better. As for style well it's pretty good as far as I can see. Just fix up the anatomy a tad, and remember the human body is a balancing act. To get a better idea of it, maybe read Bridgman's book, it's incredibly helpful. Anyway best of luck man and I hope my edit helps a little.
These are some good crits

thanks guys :>

So maybe if I make the torso smaller, will that make the anatomy better? Or is the torso fine as it is and I just need to fix up those darn legs?

Also: the shading was really the thing I was looking for in this topic. I'm fairly sure I got two different light sources going, but no one seems to be largely commenting on that. Does that mean I'm fine with how I'm shading it, or should I just fix up the anatomy first before I fix up the shading?
(08-01-2009, 08:42 PM)oB2Ko Mario Wrote: [ -> ]Does that mean I'm fine with how I'm shading it, or should I just fix up the anatomy first before I fix up the shading?

Fix the anotomical issues first, then go for the shading.
God, it's like you can read my mind a half hour into the future.
I'm scared.
(08-01-2009, 09:13 PM)Jesus lizard Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-01-2009, 08:42 PM)oB2Ko Mario Wrote: [ -> ]Does that mean I'm fine with how I'm shading it, or should I just fix up the anatomy first before I fix up the shading?

Fix the anotomical issues first, then go for the shading.
God, it's like you can read my mind a half hour into the future.
I'm scared.

You have no idea what I'm capable of

btw that milk in your fridge is going to expire next month so you better drink it up !!
Harvey Milk?
(08-01-2009, 08:19 PM)Dark Kamek Wrote: [ -> ][Image: corrections.png] I know my little edit here is a mess to lookt at, at first. But if you zoom in at at least 6x in paint, maybe even 8 you'll be able to understand it better. I did a quick little gesture drawing over your sprite, to anatomically map it out a little better. As for style well it's pretty good as far as I can see. Just fix up the anatomy a tad, and remember the human body is a balancing act. To get a better idea of it, maybe read Bridgman's book, it's incredibly helpful. Anyway best of luck man and I hope my edit helps a little.
Sorry this is slightly off-topic, but: Dark Kamek, the whole point of an edit is for it to be clear, and simple (and ultimately helps) the user. You should've put forth your edit by setting oB2Ko Mario's sprite transparent or simply doing it from scratch.

(08-01-2009, 08:42 PM)oB2Ko Mario Wrote: [ -> ]These are some good crits

thanks guys :>

So maybe if I make the torso smaller, will that make the anatomy better? Or is the torso fine as it is and I just need to fix up those darn legs?

Also: the shading was really the thing I was looking for in this topic. I'm fairly sure I got two different light sources going, but no one seems to be largely commenting on that. Does that mean I'm fine with how I'm shading it, or should I just fix up the anatomy first before I fix up the shading?
I suggest you fix anatomy first, that way you can pin down how the light'll land on Phoenix.
Here's an edit, hope it helps:
[Image: ob2koed.png]
Arrows indicate the direction a part of the body faces, black is facing us. That orange line... Ignore it. I think I pinned the anatomy, not quite sure though. Oops, pelvis area should be to the right (green).
Good post, Chris, thanks for that. I do think the left arm positions you've drawn could be varied more, I think a more in-between angle than the two you have would be absolutely perfect.

That aside, your pixel work is nice, but follow these guys' comments and you'll be fine. ;D
well, I followed the crits, and I sketched up a new lineart
[Image: Mariodogood.png]
I actually liked the head and the arm (those took me the most time to make, and they're consistent with light source) so I decided to keep them

good move or bad move on my part?

EDIT: okay the back-arm (his left, our right) is a little thinner than I intended
BUT I will fix that~
The elements you kept aren't in proportion with the ones you've restarted. Either make the body bigger or restart those parts you've kept again. You also need to take more in count the shape of the suit as well as the body on Phoenix. The limbs on the right look awkward due to the afore mentioned issues. Get that out of the way and the shading's a piece of cake.
Pages: 1 2