The VG Resource

Full Version: Sami new design [?]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
**Real part begins on third paragraph**

Ok, for those of you that know me... Because I know that so many people do. And the game I'm working on. Which you would know me for being a whiny little boy who accepts not crit... That was the past, and I have changed. I actually looked at all the stuff I was saying long before, and realized just how much of a loser I sounded like. Now this realization has led me to also changing the concept for my game a lot. I have made plans for making the game a much higher quality game then intended back in 08, because now I have made plans for ideas more practical, more enjoyable, and more easy to understand.

Please believe me when I say "I have changed" because I realize now that I was seeing things from a selfish point of view, I really just wanted people to see me as awesome because I did things without comprising with other people, but now I know that that is being narrow, and not seeing from other peoples view points. Besides if I want people to like a game I'm making then making them mad at me won't make them even want to find out if it's a good game, I mean I don't want to be another Bob, that guy ticked me off.

So anyway, just the other day I was making a model for the secondary main character of my game, Sami, a design based on a pen and ink drawing I had made 3 months back, though when I textured the model, it actually looked a lot better then I expected.
[Image: so0bih.png]
Blue an White turtleneck sweater, light-blue jeans and a pair of white shoes with blue detail.

This is probably the simplest design I have ever given her, as before this she has always worn more flashy attire. Because the drawing was in black and white I was not sure what colors to use, and tried out her original blue and white colors.

I do remember many people on TSR were complaining about the old designs saying they were messy and 'too much' and that I should go for a more iconic look.
tail should be lowered a bit, shouldn't be jutting out of the back of her shirt.

Overall it's nice, but I think you went a little too simplistic with her. Just seems like she doesn't stand out too much you know? Not really one of those types of characters that would catch your eye.
Lower the tail? I actually at first did not think that was much of a problem, though after making a few adjustments with the tail and adding bones to the bottom of the sweater I do think that it does look better:
[Image: omsyb.png]

Indeed I do find this design to be verry calm and maybe too simple, perhaps if I gave her a hat or something...
I'm gonna suggest messin' with the colour of the jeans, that cyan kind of colour looks pretty weird next to the blue on the shirt.

I'm also thinking it might be a bad idea to keep her hair+tail brown, it just doesn't really 'go' with blue. Maybe make it a little more orange to get some contrast?

If you're really really dead set on adding more detail to the character, I'd say go for something fairly simple. Maybe add a logo on her shirt or give her a belt or something. Less is more and all that, especially when you're going for an n64 kinda look.

As regards the tail; think about where a tail connects on a dog. Or, think about where your own tailbone is! It's between and a little bit above your butt, basically. The positioning looks okay now that you've changed it, but it's hard to tell from the side.
In order

The more I look at the image the more I agree with you that the cyan looks a bit weird, I took a moment to make some ~ variations:
[Image: 6qfzau.png]

I might see about the hair a little later, because that is a little bit more complicated.

I actually don't think this design really needs more detail, only really if it seems that this design is really 'too simple' . I also found the absence of a hat made her look like she had a lot more I don't know... something in her character.
That design is actually a whole lot better! That jumper needs some texture though, along with some hemming. The jeans in C look the best.

Maybe make the trainers Orange/white?
Design has improved with simplicity, I'll give you that. The older design was bulky and too clustered.
I really don't know how you can improve it. As Zeemort (or Epitaxis, whatever) said, orange + blue is a great combination. Maybe you should change the color of her jeans to something different, her clothing is too blue. Maybe a very dark gray or something? Try messing around with her colors.
Looks nice, really. I agree with the blue/orange thing too.

Maybe even a pendant or something if you wanted more detail? A smaller chain but a large interestingly-shaped gem on it would look coo'.
imo you should make the shirt stripes orange and add a hat. otherwise this is much improved. if you did this cellshaded it would be so awesome.
IDK tuna, I think having orange as anything more than an accent would make it a bit too bright.

I'm inclined to say B or D for the jeans, btw.
Well going with D jeans, for now.

Ok, I tried out a slightly more orangy brown for the fur/hair (Now that I think about it, this shade of brown makes me think of Horo), and also orange/yellow accents on the shoes, what do you guys say about these? One of these better? or Better to be blue?

[Image: 2re1pgl.png]

Slightly off topic, I was also working on a new model for Koki, the design is not so much differeant then his old one though, But I did change a few things hear and ther, and further reduce the number of colors. It is still not solid yet though.
[Image: 2dh7nv9.png]
what is going on with that shirt?
Try brightening up the green. It's looking kind of subdued at the moment, and it looks a little weird compared to how bright the girl character is.
The 4th version of the girl is the best one, IMO.

The boy needs more work. The shirt is very wierd - it has a design on the chest, but it also has a shirt collar - those two things don't work together! Choose one or the other. The shades feel tacked on.

Considering the 'explorer/holiday maker look he has going on, giving him 3/4 trousers might be good.
his design still feels a clustered, at least compared to Sami's, even though you reduced the number of different colors. I think it's mostly because of his jacket, hat, and glasses. You should do something about them, specially the glasses, they aren't that much of an addition to the design.
color choices, as Zeemort said, a bright green will do it well. A good color combination is of light green and brown. Try to add more brown to his clothing instead of this dark-gray (that I still think you should apply to Sami's pants)
Pages: 1 2 3 4