The VG Resource

Full Version: Seeking Flash Game Programmer!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(Guys, I'm sorry if theres some page stretching)

I'm not usually one to do inquiries like this, but our project's recently been put on hold, despite lots of progess, due to the lack of an actual programmer (who had to leave last week, for a month)

Okay, so guys, this is, I guarentee you, a big opportunity.

The origin: (the boring part)
A friend of mine works for an internship at a sculpture park opening in 2011,(Altos Del Mar Sculpture Park) whose boss asked her to make some sort of online virtual garden in Flash with the password being gifted for a $25 donation to the park in need of funds.

The gist:(the awesome part)
My friend, though, thought that a virtual garden for butterflies is a bit lame, to attract kids. She approached me 3 weeks ago, with the idea, I agreed to help. From there, we assembled a team of 7-8 people, ALL well trained, professional students with an average 2 years of Graphic and Industrial Design training.(All from my school, ranked the 5th best art school in the US). Since than we have been working aroudn the clock, nonstop with animations, graphics, sounds, concepts, menus, the official website, everything.

The proposal:(!)
Despite the fact we currently have almost ALL graphics for the game completely done and polished, we have no programmer after our pending programmer left to an Industrial Design workshop in California for the next 2 weeks.

Soooo...All of us are extremely fluent, skilled artists. All of us love video games, and beleive me, despite being a child's game, this is no casual game. This is a sophisticated tactical RPG, we're making sure the new generation of gamers has something seriously good to chew on.

Because of this, we are determined to get this game done in 1-2 weeks, completely finished in alpha form.

You read the topic title, I'm sure you know what it is I'm asking for already. If you are interested and have a good amount of experience making games in flash, or know someone, and you are willing to do it for free or a small incentive as the rest of us are doing it for, please tell us!

The game:
If you guys know me, it's only natural I'd start the concept off in Paint, but it is our guide for the whole game's concept, give a quick read-through it if you want:

[Image: caterpiegame.png]
The game is a free-roaming Top-Down View RPG (ie, Zelda, Pokemon), in which you control a caterpillar in 30 full-day intervals that let you move only a certain amount per day.(think FF:Tactics minus the grid) You walk in 4 directions and have, say, 10 seconds of walking per day.

Between each day, different items/enemies will appear/fall out of the sky, so in this time period we call the "thinking period" is the meat of the gameplay, in which you buy items, plot your course for the days ahead(for example, it may take 3 days to get from where you are to a goldmine of items surrounded by enemies.)

Heres most of the items/objects of key interest:
[Image: dumpme4.png]
I'm not going to go into detail with most of the items. The key, MOST important one is the leaves. More specifically the green ones.

The leaves are the earning force in the game, the key incentive. Leaves are HP, Money, and EXP points all in one. After each day, the caterpillars stomache gets emptier by 1 unit. The caterp. has 4 "Hunger Points", when it reaches 0, it has died of hunger. If you collect additional leaves after being full, the leaves turn into a currency you can use to buy items in the shop to buy gardening tools to plant additional plants that bear fruit you can eat(say after 4 days of planting/watering a seed, it'll consistently drops food, offering a safe place and to speed growth up) After eating 10 leaves, you can level up by adding a Strength Point or a Speed Point, which either lets you push rocks faster and overcome stronger enemies, or run faster and farther in a day's time.

After a few days from falling from the tree, the leaf becomes dead and is useless now, you can't eat it.

(Mockup)
[Image: prevcater.png]
The map's seperated into a 3x3 grid with 800x500(screensize for game) area for each. You start off in the middle and can go around finding various bosses and secrets in the game.

[Image: dumpme.png]
The basic types of enemies, each with their own characteristics.

The game has tons of replay value and is addictive because of the feeling of wanting to do more in the next playthrough, get to control the max of 3 caterpillars, beat all 3 bosses, find the secrets in the different areas, buy more items, plant more pots, have a higher score and higher stats by the end of the game.

The objective is to go from this cute little bugger:
[Image: dumpme2.png]

To a majestic butterfly. :o
[Image: 3zj1FB6tmp.jpg]

Despite that I can't show the awesome animations I made, I'd also like to include the beautiful illustrations by Marcela Sandino and Nicole Fiori:

[Image: dumpme3.png]

[Image: riddler_spider.png]

The Repayment

We are so confident in the game's success that the we may be compensated monetarily per copy. The legal legistics have been worked out, the employer who commissioned the project is a lawyer, and promises we have equal rights to the game's usage. Which is important because if it is succesful, we are planning on turning it into an iPhone game!

Here is the website/banner/title in progress for the game, the name is "I Will Be Beautiful": http://itlurksbeneath.com/game.php

So...you in?
Wrong forum, just sayin'
Oh come on. As a regular, you of all people should know that we have a requests board for a reason.

Shame on you. Moved.
Well, it was within sprite discussion and I've never used it, I've always thought it was only for, well, you get the point.
Just wanted to say that this looks fantastic and hope you get what you're after. I'll ask around a bit for you.
Wow, thanks so much Dazz, if they'd like to take an even closer look, I'm starting an indepth flash walkthrough for the programmer. I have to say, if all the animations/graphics are done, (which they are) this should be a quick/pleasant project for whichever programmer takes it up. Big Grin
In the next two weeks I have 4 full days and 6 evenings that I could work on that game (approximately) (this means up to wednesday in two weeks)

But is the alpha version is only the caterpillar part up to the cocoon...?

If yes, I guess I could finish it...
Wow nice job.