The VG Resource

Full Version: Pillow shading
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Suprisingly dosent work on Pillows!Question want proof? here[Image: pillowedkirby.png] it looks alright but i think i used too much shades[Image: awesomeface.png]No Crits or anything this was a joke, although something just... stuffs it up Sad
I can't think of any instance on when to use pillow shading. Maybe on special effects, but even then almost never.
Honestly pillow shading isn't THAT bad
especially when used correctly.
that kirby actually looks pretty cool, but the pillow is too small for pillow shading, making it look weird.
No, pillow shading is that bad. Not only does it show you have no technical skill in shading, there are no situations that it would look better than normal situations.

Compare the pillow shaded Kirby to these:

[Image: Kirbylooks.gif]
the ball one still looks pillowed
yes, the light source is moved up a bit but it's still got the same effect going on around the bottom and sides
if that was moved down it'd be a pillow
Actually, I've used pillow shading in my sprites before.
No one noticed it until I pointed it out.
Proof, pillow shading works if used CORRECTLY.
exactly my point
rakia when the hell do you post sprites anyway

as for pillow shading, the only time it works is when you combine it with antialiasing

it looks a lot better than just flat-out pillowing : |
I still haven't seen any good pillowshading yet.

This would make a good contest.
Pillow shading does work on pillows, but it has to be an OVERHEAD view of said pillow.
(07-17-2009, 01:01 PM)Tyvon Wrote: [ -> ]rakia when the hell do you post sprites anyway

as for pillow shading, the only time it works is when you combine it with antialiasing

it looks a lot better than just flat-out pillowing : |

It was a long time ago D=
Pillow shading is bad, I mean look at the sprite the shading is awful, and as for the examples of Kirby the ball doesn't look like pillow shading, do you even know what pillow shading is?

The only time it would work is if the thing used for pillow shading is a light source where it makes sense.
Will you n00b extremely distinguished gentlemen stfu already. Pillow shading is always wrong, even if these retarded hypothetical situations where the light source is the same as the viewing angle were met.
Even if the light source were coming from directly from the side, it'd be a different type of shading. I explained this before.
Looking back, it looks bad.
I'll let you decide, anyway.
[Image: chuckolabrotherszh5.png]
Pages: 1 2