The VG Resource

Full Version: Copic markers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been searching for something good to color my art with that's not techincal like GIMP(I'm not good with that type of stuff and I'd rather do it traditional) so I don't have to use pastel penicl colors anymore. They're great, but not exactly what I'm looking for and I'm running out of them. I'm stuck with crappy colors at the moment. Then, I ran into Copic markers on deviantart.
[Image: copic_marker_set2.jpg]

The point of this topic: I was wondering if anyone here has them and if they like them. I saw videos of people coloring with them and they look incredible and I'm really interested in getting them but I heard they're pricey.

And if you do have them, what color markers do you recommend getting? Like for skin, vibrant effect, metal, and what not.
Thanks!
Interesting topic. I've never tried them myself, since I'm still trying to get used to Prisma Pens.
They produce watercolor-like effects though, so yeah, I'd want to hear about them too.
I've only ever heard praise for them, but have never used them or seen them in use in person, so I ultimately have no ability to make suggestions.

I gave up on colouring traditionally when people had to keep telling me to use yellow instead of orange and to use red instead of pink...
Personally they work great for me.
I haven't really seen enough of your art to comment on this but here is a general tip:

DO NOT BUY THE EXPENSIVE THINGS UNLESS YOU ARE A GENERALLY PROFICIENT ARTIST.

I spent a lot of money on some very nice paper and very nice pencils and very nice inking pens when I was an absolute beginner and it was a waste of money, because I wasn't getting even CLOSE to using them properly. If you're not going to put these to good use do not get them.

This probably sounds like complete snobbery and I'm really having difficulty phrasing this in a way that doesn't make me sound like an asshole.

That said it's really commendable that you're looking into traditional media over digital. I'm not going to make judgements about which is better, but it's ALWAYS a good idea to have a good grounding in real media before you get too heavily into digital.

Before looking into expensive markers try messing around with pencils and watercolours; if you can use watercolours pretty well then you're in a fairly good position to use markers; they're fairly similar in terms of layering and blending.
Would it hurt if you had a heavy hand when handling copic markers? That's one of my biggest problems; it's why I have a hard time with brushes too. :/
So uh
learn to not be so heavy handed?
Most traditional media do not respond well to being hamfisted.
I've had good experiences with Prismacolors and Copic Markers.

Also if you want a good skin tone try shading with a light kinda pinky roseish color otherwise people tend to look kinda weird.
Goddamit.
Well at least now I can get thin lines with brushes. :/
(07-17-2009, 05:52 AM)Epistaxis Wrote: [ -> ]I haven't really seen enough of your art to comment on this but here is a general tip:

DO NOT BUY THE EXPENSIVE THINGS UNLESS YOU ARE A GENERALLY PROFICIENT ARTIST.

I spent a lot of money on some very nice paper and very nice pencils and very nice inking pens when I was an absolute beginner and it was a waste of money, because I wasn't getting even CLOSE to using them properly. If you're not going to put these to good use do not get them.

This probably sounds like complete snobbery and I'm really having difficulty phrasing this in a way that doesn't make me sound like an asshole.

That said it's really commendable that you're looking into traditional media over digital. I'm not going to make judgements about which is better, but it's ALWAYS a good idea to have a good grounding in real media before you get too heavily into digital.

Before looking into expensive markers try messing around with pencils and watercolours; if you can use watercolours pretty well then you're in a fairly good position to use markers; they're fairly similar in terms of layering and blending.
This is a very helpful post. I thank you alot. And nah, you don't sound like an arse. Here is some of my art since I'm sure you've never seen any of my "paper" work, just my sprite work:
Mona Lisa project in Art class- Prisma colors(only like 8 or 10, something like that, prismacolor pencils used)

Motorbike Tattoo for a friend of mine(this is just a copy of it so the inking isn't all that good looking)

Twlight cover drawing for a friend of mine who is a fan(scanning it didn't give the coloring job much justice Very Sad )

I think I am a decent artist and I want to go further with my art. At the moment, I am selling some of my work. Only for like 10-25 dollars but it helps me out alot. I think I am ready for Copic markers. Though, you said something about watercoloring. I can't water color all that well but..I still want to try out Copic markers. And I'll be sure to use them all the time, I'm not gonna let them go to waste. I think Copic markers will be the thing to let me go artisticly "crazy". Once again, thank you for your help.

(07-17-2009, 03:11 PM)Lunyka Wrote: [ -> ]I've had good experiences with Prismacolors and Copic Markers.

Also if you want a good skin tone try shading with a light kinda pinky roseish color otherwise people tend to look kinda weird.
Thanks, I've always had trouble with skin tones. I never know what color to use and it ends up bad. What color would you recommend for tan skin?
(07-20-2009, 03:16 PM)Star/Starpower Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-17-2009, 03:11 PM)Lunyka Wrote: [ -> ]I've had good experiences with Prismacolors and Copic Markers.

Thanks, I've always had trouble with skin tones. I never know what color to use and it ends up bad. What color would you recommend for tan skin?

A duller and slightly darker rose like color.
Hmmm. I'm not much for coloring my drawings (well they're more like doodles anyway but even then I'm not much for coloring) and I've never used these markers (obviously after just stating it...Captain Obvious now aren't I) but as an artist (eh em Doodleist) I would suggest giving them a try. Purchase them if you're really into art and if you don't like them they may prove useful sometime and as an artist you can never have enough tools. on another note if they happen to have nothing but praise for them give 'em a go. they can't be bad though keep in mind they may not be for you. As for skin tone it all depends on the pallete you're going with or the style. If you want it to be saturated for a calm look or extremely bright for it to go "Hey look. I have pretty colors. LOOK AT ME! DROOL OVER ME! LICK MY PRETTY COLORS". It's all about what you yourself are trying to show to the viewer or what kinda reaction you are looking to get.