The VG Resource

Full Version: Unnamed Platformer Game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm making a platformer game. I intend to emulate the style and graphics of games for the TI-83, meaning black and white with 8x8 tiles, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBERBbcJJhM
This is a sort of "Proof of concept" video for it.
This isn't even an early alpha. It's just showing that I'm actually working on it, and that I've got a basic engine up and running. I plan to change a lot of stuff.

However, I'll need your help! I'm still not sure what exactly to do.

Basic game mechanics so far:
1. Touching spikes kills you. I'm not sure yet if I should make a lives/game over system or just make the level restart when you die.
2. Touching the exit door makes you go to the next level.
3. You can save/load your game.

That's it. All I have so far.

I need ideas though.
Should I add enemies? Make it a coin collector? What do I do?
Um, not to protest against your methods of gamedesign, but wouldn't it be a better idea to know what kind of game mechanics you want, *before* making the engine?

Also Robocop was the only good song on that album. A huge step down from West's previous album.
(07-08-2009, 04:47 PM)GrooveMan.exe Wrote: [ -> ]Um, not to protest against your methods of gamedesign, but wouldn't it be a better idea to know what kind of game mechanics you want, *before* making the engine?
That's just it though. I've got too many ideas! :p
If I tried putting them all it it'd become crazy. I want to know what people would want in a game like this, so I could have some sort of a balance.

Quote:Also Robocop was the only good song on that album. A huge step down from West's previous album.
I have the album, but I haven't listened to it in a while.
iirc robocop was decent, but I think Bad News, Coldest Winter, and Love Lockdown were the best
also yes I agree that Graduation was much better. He needs to stop autotuning.
Well I do suggest you take a deep breath and write your idea down as like a mission statement of sorts. Post it here if you want it critiqued. Once you have that down, I'd say coding it would be more straightforward, especially since this way you take the ease of coding it into account.

I found those two really repetitive. Robocop and.. Paranoia? had a solid melody to them that I found catchy. The amusing thing is that he adopted Vocoder to do something *different*. Oh the irony.
game looks pretty simple o.o

make wall jumping some how..that would be kool
Well, like I said, I'm unsure of what exactly I want to do.

I want to start with a simple concept, and expand from there.

Maybe I could make it so that you have to collect keys to open the door at the end of the level. This was my original plan, then it just sort of went from there.

I'll go with that and revise.

I do plan to include a few block pushing puzzles as well.
Unsure if I should add enemies or just keep spikes as the main hazard.

Quote:game looks pretty simple o.o
It's supposed to.

Quote:ake wall jumping some how..that would be kool
As for walljumping... eh. Maybe. Most likely not. Maybe I'll include double jumping or something.
double jumping would be ok..but wall jumping would allow alot more complex level design
The game is supposed to look and feel primitive though.
Have you ever played a TI-83 game? I know it's possible for them to have it, but I'm going for a simple feel.
TI-83? nope...i'll google it later though..workin on this thing for GrooveMan..
Make sure to set the FPS really low to simulate the feel of the TI-83.
Maybe.
I was planning on more of the graphical style, but... maybe.
lol TI-83 is a calculater?
It's a graphing calculator, it's mostly used in regards to Math classes so you can graph out equations.
lol so viper, your remaking a game from a calculater? ok..
No.
I'm emulating the style.
It's going to be a simple game, black and white ONLY, with 8x8 tiles and sprites.
The screen resolution is even the same.
I do plan to include sound, but it'll be simple. Maybe 8-bit.
Pages: 1 2