The VG Resource

Full Version: M&L3 Dolphin Redone
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Finally, I have redone my old M&L Dolphin from July 2008. The old is on the top, and new M&L3 styled Dolphin on the bottom. I think it's about time I've gotten back to spriting. Crits please,
[Image: dolphinm_l3redone60667.png]
Okay. It's good but here are my crits.

- Side of the goggles are too dark (to fix this just make all of your yellows a little bighter)
- Get rid of the 'fat belly' look, he should be more sleek
- All of the fins look like lumps. Make them more pointed and triangular
- The nose needs to be wider and have less dark shading around it
- Get rid of the excess outline on the top and bottom of the sprite
- Needs a visible bottom lip
- Find a duller blue to replace the light blue
- Goggles and nose need to be more defined, they seem to 'crash' into each other

By the way, if you haven't been -- You should take a look at his appearance in Mario Party 8. You'll be able to get him perfect if you do, trust me.
Update. I tried to fix everything you said about the goggles, fins, and nose. Though I'm satisfied with this shade of blue.
[Image: dolphinm_l3redone82554.png]
I think the lightest yellow is too bright now. Might look better slightly orange-ish or darker. Also the tips of the tail fin are kinda blocky.
(07-01-2009, 11:16 AM)Neslug Wrote: [ -> ]I think the lightest yellow is too bright now. Might look better slightly orange-ish or darker. Also the tips of the tail fin are kinda blocky.
Made the fins less blocky. And got rid of the outline on the goggles.
[Image: dolphinm_l3redone54007.png]
It is very good... but the fin on the top looks more like a big lump. try to make it more pointy.
(07-01-2009, 12:26 PM)Vyro Wrote: [ -> ]It is very good... but the fin on the top looks more like a big lump. try to make it more pointy.
Update,
[Image: dolphinm_l3redone25007.png]
Now that I look at it again, I think the goggles should be facing more to the side. From what you have, it looks like the two eyes are further away from the nose.
(07-01-2009, 01:34 PM)A.J. Nitro Wrote: [ -> ]Now that I look at it again, I think the goggles should be facing more to the side. From what you have, it looks like the two eyes are further away from the nose.
Yet another update. Goggles turned more towards the nose,
[Image: dolphinm_l3redone69152.png]
The top fin looks fine, but the side fin and tail looks strange. The side one still needs to be more pointed, and it looks like it bends towards the front at the moment. The tail fins are still a bit blocky, and the shading on the bottom part especially makes it look like it is sticking out towards the screen.

I also think the bottom looks slightly flat. Maybe try shortening the bottom line by 1-2 pixels each end? I suppose you don't want it rounded though...
tail is too blocky and badly shaded; fin should be a bit more pointy; the eye shouldn't be covering his nose; it could be thinner.
Use this too help yah.
[Image: n1os1z.jpg]
(07-02-2009, 01:09 AM)Gourmet Guy Wrote: [ -> ]Use this too help yah.
[Image: n1os1z.jpg]
Thanks. I've used this ref before, but it's not updated. The latest game screenshot from Mario Party 8 shows that the Dolphin has sharper fins and they back fins are pointing downwards. I fixed some stuff up, and I'm redoing the back tail so it's flat. Here is the latest update,
[Image: dolphinm_l3redone99128.png]