The VG Resource

Full Version: Some of my handy work.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I guess this will be my introduction.

[Image: snotminionsorganized.png]

[Image: Stevesheetorganized.png]

[Image: Koolaidmansheetcropped.png]

If you feel compelled to use these I'd reccomend asking beforehand.
(06-25-2009, 04:46 PM)neoshaolin Wrote: [ -> ]If you feel compelled to use these I'd reccomend asking beforehand.

Don't worry, nobody will want to. Not to sound rude/mean or anything, but these are all edits aside from the kool-aid man, which isn't really that good anyway.
Sorry.
I'll take it. I respect the fact that your honest about your opinion. All though, I would of appreciated something a tad more constructive like advice on how to improve.

You are wrong about one thing though. The entire first sheet is from scratch not from any game.
I think the biggest issue is with your shading. On the first sheet, everything appears to be pillowshaded. You need a defined lightsource rather than having the light come from the center. In the third sheet, any part that is white is also pillowshaded. The usage of dithering doesn't look very good and solid shading would look much better. Also, in the pose where his legs are going two different ways, the shading contradicts itself.

I'll leave it at that for now to keep this from being tl;dr, but if you can fix up the shading I'll go on.
Yeah. Your sprites are bad. BUT, everuone needs to have a start, be it good or not. Your biggest problem is shading: you don't seen to know its basics. You're doing pillowshading, which isn't a good technique. It makes your sprite flat (because objects has a light side and a dark side, basically). You need to fix a lightsource and shade using that as a reference. About the Kool-Aid man, well, you got some of the basic shading right: you shaded only one side instead of shading all the sides; but you did dithering instead of an actual color (dithering is when you use two colors in a way that makes them to blend). While dithering is acceptable in some cases (when shading stuff with irregular surface, like an orange), it won't work for smooth stuff, like glass.

Also, what Devicho said.
[Image: Professorbrainstorm.png]

The colors are a tad bit more eye burning then I intended but I think I did fairly well with the whole fixed light source concept of shading. I had the usuall over exaggerated game villians like Wily and Professor Monkey-For-A-Head from earth worm jim in mind whilest' I was doing him. Oh, and yes those are tentacles he has for hands.
The shading is a bit better, but one word: contrast. The colors are way too similar to each other, and it makes the shading and highlights hard to see, especially on the shirt and face. I think the color choices could be better, too. They seem too similar to MS Paint defaults to me, and unless you're specifically going for an MS Paint default-only kinda thing (And have more practice), they don't look good.