The VG Resource

Full Version: WIP BG; snow-covered forest [Requiem]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[Image: Darkforest_2zzzzz.png]
Still very WIP; might have to alter the palette as is its a little too colorful in certain parts to fit in with the rest of the Requiem graphics

13 colors + transparency so far (not anymore though)
C+C so far?

EDIT: Newest version posted here
[Image: WIPRequiemBGcompiledz.png]
Why is the ground so bright? At the moment, its really an eye grabber. Is it supposed to be winter? Nonetheless, it looks very very nice (although a little dirty but w/e) so far.
yeah, it's winter/snow

And it doesn't really look that bright to me S:
Ignore that then, it's mostly just personal preference, and probably only looks bright because nothing else is finished.
Now my earlier comments seem useless :B
I do have a question though, what kind of tree are you using as a reference (if any). The branches look all scraggly, and the tree does not really have any branches spread evenly.
its gorgeous imo ;o;
Look'n good, it just doesn't seem like the bottom of that tree is merging with the ground right. Since our view is almost dead forward I would think the bottom of that tree wouldn't be so round.
That is some reeaally good snow effects. Smile
Goddammit, I can't find anything wrong with it.
Maybe amaze us all by texturing the tree (even if it's just two shades+ dithering, because it's not supposed to grab attention anyway).

Do it justice by programming footprints in the snow. Cute
thanks everyone Cute

Quote:I do have a question though, what kind of tree are you using as a reference (if any). The branches look all scraggly, and the tree does not really have any branches spread evenly.
Mostly trees from around the area, I also googled slightly. They're really not as evenly spread as most people seem to think

Quote:Do it justice by programming footprints in the snow.
It'll be a pain but I think I might be able to pull that off. =3

Quote:texturing the tree
[Image: Darkforest_4z.png]

Nothing too major, but I've finished the two trees I had and also mostly shaded a back layer of snow. Still have a lot of work to do moving towards the horizon line and trying to deal with how to get these trees to look right.

Still not entirely positive how to proceed from here /:
Are you planning on having scrolling backgrounds in this? I can see a back layer of woods and snow moving slightly in my mind.
Several. I've already got two layers there; although I haven't seperated them yet. The standard layer, and then the small darker layer with the tree and incomplete tree behind it, and I'll probably have three or four more behind that. (Secondary snow/tree layer, third primary BG layer featuring more background trees and snow and then a sky layer.)
Oh nice, I guess it's one of those things you gotta see in action for yourself.
Gorgeous, the snow is so finely detailed. How long does it take you to do these?
hmm.
I'd try darkening te lightest snow shade just a tiiiny bit.
Neslug; It depends. Hours of on and off work, though a good portion of the work time is - at least, in this instance - trying to figure out what the hell I'm doing, seeing as I've never actually done a background like this before.

KoA, thanks.

Buttbutt; I'll certainly consider doing something like that at a later date. Or I'll spread the brighter parts a bit more evenly. As is, it's set that way to help define the part of the area that the character walks on.

Anyway.. I'm going to bed now, so I figure I'll post what I have on it so far. I've been proceeding cautiously.

[Image: Darkforest_5bzzz.png]
Still have a lot of trees to draw, particularly on the newly added layers of snow. But how exactly I'm going to balance all of that and the colours out thus far remains a mystery.

By the way, the gradient that starts building up back there will mostly be covered with trees.

C+C?
Pages: 1 2