The VG Resource

Full Version: Custom pokemon game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Alright, so after playing pokemon ranger i got to thinking "wow, this is almost how pokemon should have been... if only it was more like the original pokemon games." so i decided to do just that. Right now I'm nearing completion of the first demo version. I made a little teaser if anyone is interested http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ4e-zDYsIA ...Anyway, my main reason for starting this thread is to get opinions of how you guys think it should play(like how large scale attacks should be), and any/all storyline suggestions would be largely appreciated . As of right now the title is also still undecided, suggestions on that would be useful as well.
Should've been put in the Fangames forum. As for the video, it would've been nice to see the game in action, instead of just screenshots. It doesn't look spectacular as-is.
New comers are lazy as hell these days.
I just find is in poor taste to advertise the 'real time' aspect when you can't properly show it.
Sorry about not being able to show it in action, there's actually a video of it, but my computer isn't powerful enough to show it perfectly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgfGnocnG60 there it is, it was from the early beta stages of development though.
DonĀ“t you think the resolution is a bit too big for these tiles?
the main reason for the odd resolution was because this was originally a psp project, and i guess i just never really got around to changing it. what do you suggest i change it to, something more like 256x192(being the DSs resolution that the sprites were originally made for)
Mkay... so i finally finished the working demo if anyone is interested. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9T0CZHIK you can download it there
Controls:
in battle
C = attack one
D = attack two
F = attack three
R= attack four
out of battle
C = main select button
F = back
S = start
if you're wondering why the layout is so strange, it's because i made it in LUA and still would like to have future compatability with PSP.

1. Your maps are far, far too wide and empty. Think of all the games you've played- how many times have you had huge wide open spaces like that? Try making the most of your space.
  2. This actually ties in with my first comment- the trees are really, really spaced out too far. Aren't there overlapping tiles you can use? Otherwise it looks like you could just go between the trees, making them very poor barriers, which tree/forested areas generally serve as.
  3. I find it odd that your pokemon is listed on the right of the screen instead of the left. I was actually very confused while watching the battle as I thought the Eevee was the player's character, rather than wild.
  4. ... 'first real pokemon game'?

Otherwise the concept seems interesting.
Thanks a whole bunch for those really useful pointers. i did actually fix the 3rd thing that you pointed out, it's just that i fixed that after i had made the video
is it just me or did the game run extremely slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow
like impossibly slow
like 10fps or so