The VG Resource

Full Version: Super Mario fangame (first engine demo)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, all. My name is Zero Kirby, and, uh, this is my fangame.

It's a Mario fangame (as if that weren't obvious), and my third Mario platformer that I've made, so, yeah. Engine has been in production for... a year and a half, so, yeah.

Here's an engine demo for you guys. (Vista users, use a converter that MFGG so wonderfully is able to provide here.)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/7youau

----- CONTROLS -----

Arrows: Move/Duck/Climb
A: Jump/Swim
S: Run
Very Sad Spin Jump

The following are a buncha screenies I took of my game. (Click on 'em!)

Beginning of the intro level. There's no timer for this level, to ease players into the game.

I finally made a good brick block break animation.

Particle effects for coin collection. Works, if used in moderation.

Got some climbing action going on here. You can go up, down, side-to-side, and jump off.

Spin jump comes into play, to break these blocks here.

Goomba go squish

A piece of health missing. Also, Koopas get knocked into their shells...

... can be shot into other enemies...

... and then spin jumped on to defeat. Note another chunk missing of the health meter.

Oh, boy, water.

Translucent and animated! There's no water surface object; it's all the same object repeated.

Wait, something seems off here. Is that an... air meter?

If you run low on air, jumping out restores it completely.

It's a bit aesthetically bland but that'll be fixed later.

The plot is still being made, but I can guarantee that it doesn't involve Bowser kidnapping Peach. In fact, I don't think they're in the game at all so far... so then who do you fight? That's a little secret for now.

So, yeah. I'll eventually have an engine test up sometime soon, with just a basic test level with enemies, some water and other things.

Yeah. Feel free to comment in the meantime.
I love when fangames stray from their usual formula.

You should include some original new enemies, too.

Can't wait to see some more!
Lookin' good, man!
Added an engine demo to the first post. Follow the download link! If you use Vista, you'll have to use the converter, which I've also linked to MFGG's page for.
Not bad, now this is what fangames need to do : aim for quality. You've got here a very good engine.
Some points however.

The slippery ice wasn't bad, but make it a bit more slippery.
The water was a good touch, though I say you shouldn't be able to move as fast in it as you do. After all, if you've ever been swimming, there's a lot of resistance when you swim. Mario should have a bit more trouble in the water.
Are you able to pick up the turtle shells or not, I couldn't tell.
Finally if you hold an arrow direction, jump into a wall and land, you still have the jump animation. I found this out at the part with the yellow blocks below you and you had to spin jump to go down.
(06-18-2009, 05:13 AM)Zee Wrote: [ -> ]Not bad, now this is what fangames need to do : aim for quality. You've got here a very good engine.
Some points however.

The slippery ice wasn't bad, but make it a bit more slippery.
The water was a good touch, though I say you shouldn't be able to move as fast in it as you do. After all, if you've ever been swimming, there's a lot of resistance when you swim. Mario should have a bit more trouble in the water.
Are you able to pick up the turtle shells or not, I couldn't tell.
Finally if you hold an arrow direction, jump into a wall and land, you still have the jump animation. I found this out at the part with the yellow blocks below you and you had to spin jump to go down.

The ice wasn't slippery enough? I thought it was TOO slippery! I guess I'll have to wait and see what other people think. (I've already made it less slippery, but still slippery.)
I can fix the water movement, though.
You can't pick up Koopa shells. Sorry.
As for the animation glitch, I just checked, that's actually just the walking animation. I should probably still fix it, though.
As I said over AIM, very nicely done, though the goombas clash and the climbing Mario is from a different sheet than the normal one you're using.

But it's good.
If you're thinking of naming the game itself Super Mario Fangame, then let me tell you this: There's already a game called Super Mario Fangame! Here's the link: http://mfgg.net/index.php?act=resdb&para...2&id=16832 I know, the graphics look like they suck from the screenshot, but they're actually pretty cool.

SUPER SORRY FOR GETTING OFF TOPIC!

To me, most mario fan games are all the same, so I don't expect much of this game.