The VG Resource

Full Version: Some Art thing just look....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay well I'm using my friends account with his permission.

Some things to know, I draw in reference usually to one style and I dont use photoshop or anything to edit them.

Here are 3 of my best drawings (said by DA users) and my username is NGL10 because so many names taken why not just say your not that person:

http://notgregarlink10.deviantart.com/ar...-122614545
http://notgregarlink10.deviantart.com/ar...-124926359
http://notgregarlink10.deviantart.com/ar...-124926786
this is now how you use reference
it is also not how you mimic a style
redrawing someone elses drawing with your character details on it isn't significantly above spriting recolours tbh :I
I agree with Zeemort. It's a step above tracing at least, but still shows a lack of effort. Sad
also clothing folds are completely wrong
you should observe more and learn from others' drawings instead of bluntly copying :Ç
You need to start drawing from life, if you have not already...as in real-life objects, animals, people, etc. There is a line between stylization and a drawing error, but you won't be able to tell the difference if you don't learn how a real person or thing is structured and/or behaves beforehand.

During the productions of "The Lion King" and "Bambi", the animators got to observe and draw real animals. They studied their, structure, movement, and behavior before designing a stylized version suitable for animation.
The first one was drawn to look like Soul Eater Evans and the other 2 are pretty much custom, the clothing folds are weird its already been noted your not the first, and WrathBone that seems like good advice but not for the Soul Eater series.
(06-12-2009, 09:47 PM)Caboose Wrote: [ -> ]WrathBone that seems like good advice but not for the Soul Eater series.

Why not? Just because it's stylized art bends reality doesn't mean it's completely thrown out the window. How can you tell the folds are wrong if you have not observed how they are formed in real life? How can a person recognize a cartoon face without ever seeing a actual person?

The more skilled cartoonists tend to have strong background in realism. Those who stick to stylization and nothing else are not only in danger of picking up bad drawing habits, but have a harder time in transitioning to styles outside their own.
(06-13-2009, 12:10 AM)WrathBone Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-12-2009, 09:47 PM)Caboose Wrote: [ -> ]WrathBone that seems like good advice but not for the Soul Eater series.

seys lots of stuff

Yeah folds seems to be the main problem it's been noted, I'm workin on it.

Why not? Just because it's stylized art bends reality doesn't mean it's completely thrown out the window. How can you tell the folds are wrong if you have not observed how they are formed in real life? How can a person recognize a cartoon face without ever seeing a actual person?

The more skilled cartoonists tend to have strong background in realism. Those who stick to stylization and nothing else are not only in danger of picking up bad drawing habits, but have a harder time in transitioning to styles outside their own.

I like you.
I like you a lot.
This'll probably sound patronising but it's pretty damn rare to find someone who knows what they're talking about regarding this kind of thing. :I
wrathbone you need to post more
(06-14-2009, 12:14 AM)Caboose Wrote: [ -> ]

seys lots of stuff

You do realise you just did something incredibly stupid; and replied on behalf of your alt?

GG. Ban'd.
(06-15-2009, 05:24 AM)GrooveMan.exe Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-14-2009, 12:14 AM)Caboose Wrote: [ -> ]

seys lots of stuff

You do realise you just did something incredibly stupid; and replied on behalf of your alt?

GG. Ban'd.

ahahaha oh wow i didn't realize this

Wrathbone is right, and if caboose/feste was a better artist I'd give the same advice to him, but his works are way too amateur. If he can't draw stylized things right, how will he manage to try to draw from reality? I remembered trying to draw from reality when I was an amateur and I utterly failed. I think that first people need to learn from other artists so that then you develop a sense of observation and apply that to paper.

wordswordswords