The VG Resource

Full Version: MZM,SM ships at 45° angle! Metroid RPG sprites TOO!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: mrpgvaisseauautophh9.png]
This is a WIP for the Metroid RPG game I am making with a guy. I'm not sure what else to do or rectify on the sprite. I'm not sure if the perspective is right on this sprite. I need criticism from proper spriters with a big spriting portfolio. Once this sprite is done, I'll go on to a save point I'm working on, then maybe the SM ship at 45° angle with MZM shading...
Thanks!
Ok, maybe I sounded like a pretentious bastard...
Could anyone help ^^'?
Metriod rpg would be a kick ass game, but I'm not really that good at spriting.
Practice makes perfect TPoe ^^. I've got the summer hols to do stuff, but I'd really like to be helped by others. I really lack other peoples' critics, so it takes a long time to polish sprites... I'd love comments on that ship, and once that's done with, I'll get on to other goodies Heart. So please, somebody, somebody with a critic eye shout aloud "Your sprites are crap because <enter text>. And <enter text>. You <enter text>.".
Very well, you seem to have defined the light source directly in front of it. While that's alright for cutscenes, Metroid is a game very focused on planetary exploration, thus the light source should be coming from above, like a sun would. Furthermore, it's mirrored, and while I suppose that's acceptable for a ship, symmetry and all, it's quite dull to look at. Furthermore, I think the only reason it was mirrored in the past was due to limitations or complexity. Look at the Super Metroid ship, that's a complex looking beast with panels and plates everywhere.

Now, even IF the shading is supposed to be from the front the light extends too far back around the wings. And it seems really simply and dull. Also you used too many colors, you really don't need very many more then 16 at very max. [5 for each main color, red/green/orange, and one of black] The lines don't match up well enough [the lines above the cockpit for most of the errors] and the wings are too short to be the MZM ship.

I feel it should be pointed out though, in terms of story, that ship was destroyed in Zero Mission [she crash landed back onto the planet]

Those are my nitpicks, I'll make more as you proceed with this project.
Mmm... Very pertinent, Zee. The lighting is the same as that of the original MZM ship, and so are all the colours. I'll need to work on making it less dull and more complex though Wink. I checked the lines, and they're right. Storyline wise, that's why I thought of the SM ship ^^. So I'll leave the ship aside, and show you my save point WIP. There's something terribly wrong with the stairs 0o.
Here:
[Image: mrpgsauvegardeautopvu2.png]
Holy crap, the top's hard Defeated.
BTW: even SM ship is symmetrical, though with more detail than the MZM one.
That actually looks a lot better than the ship to me. And the stairs look fine IMO. There's probably something I'm missing though.
Chris2balls Wrote:Mmm... Very pertinent, Zee. The lighting is the same as that of the original MZM ship, and so are all the colours. I'll need to work on making it less dull and more complex though Wink. I checked the lines, and they're right. Storyline wise, that's why I thought of the SM ship ^^. So I'll leave the ship aside, and show you my save point WIP. There's something terribly wrong with the stairs 0o.
Here:
[Image: mrpgsauvegardeautopvu2.png]
Holy crap, the top's hard Defeated.
BTW: even SM ship is symmetrical, though with more detail than the MZM one.

Ah, but just because the lighting is the same doesn't make it good, after all, you're changing perspective. The light should be moved higher and should be therefore on top of the wings, rather then head on.

As for your stairs, the problem is simple. You don't see the tops & the sides of the steps at all, just the top, making it look like a ramp rather than stairs.
The main negative about the ship is that it has a lot of pillow shaded areas.
Yeah, the save station's stairs looked more like ramps than stairs. Which actually doesn't matter one way or the other, since both are like a general slope in the 2D games anyway.
Thanks a bunch, guys ^^.
->Badassbill: I think you're especially looking at the wings when you say pillowing (that was pretty annoying to do Xp), so that's to change. And yeah, now I think about it, I really messed the stair's perspective X(.
-> Zee: do you necessarily get the light source from the 'camera' (ie the perspective and view of game)? Because I think that keeping the same light source would emphasize on the change of perspective. But if you really object it'll be changed Smile.
->Miles07: I agree with you ^^. It's just I wanted to do wafer-thin steps but failed miserably XD.