The VG Resource

Full Version: Vandal Hearts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Greetings,

I'm new to this forum and ripping, so bear with me. If I happen to be at the wrong board or not submitting something the right way, please let me know.

Anyways, I ripped some backgrounds from Vandal Hearts. I'll start with the end of chapter screens and will add more stuff later one, if anybody is interested.

Section Icon
[Image: VHsectionicon.png]

End of Chapter Icon ....click on icon to view sheet
[Image: VHChapterEnd.png]
How are you ripping from this game? I know that the game is rippable through GGD just incredibly confusing...
(06-10-2009, 11:19 AM)Dazz Wrote: [ -> ]How are you ripping from this game? I know that the game is rippable through GGD just incredibly confusing...

I used PSicture. I was only able to rip the backgrounds, (towns, maps, etc.). I had no luck with character sprites so far. Of course, this may have to do with my lack of knowledge than just the limitation of the program. I have a lot to learn.

Update:

I'm going to add backgrounds one town at a time. I thought about doing all them at once, but it might be too large. Unless persuaded otherwise, I will exclude the Dojo background for now since it's the same for every town and it would be redundant to add to every time. The Dojo will be added later in another section. Thank you.
All town/village backgrounds are completed. They are divided by chapters that the players visit. Click on the icon to view the sheets.

Ch. 1
[Image: VHShumeriaIcon.png] [Image: VHMinatoIcon.png]
Ch. 2
[Image: VHYuzuIcon.png]
Ch. 3
[Image: VHRemoteIcon.png] [Image: VHTersasuIcon.png]

Ch. 4
[Image: VHKhanosIcon.png] [Image: VHKerachi.png]
Ch. 5
[Image: VHSorboIcon.png] [Image: VHFrontierIcon.png]
Ch. 6
[Image: VHGlasgowIcon.png]
For the section icon, could you make it an in game screenshot rather than boxart?
(06-12-2009, 02:38 AM)Dazz Wrote: [ -> ]For the section icon, could you make it an in game screenshot rather than boxart?

No boxart allowed? Oh well, I replaced the old section icon with another one.

What's next:
I have some maps, ending screens, title screens, and a few that other items. Interestingly enough, the disk contained variations of title and ending screens (it's barely noticeable with the latter) I never seen before when playing the game. I can't say for sure, but I believe they are either tailored to a specific region or simply end up unused in the final product. I'm not sure how I'm going to organize the maps, since my memory is rusty.
Did you ever complete the game with Ash as a Vandal Heart? I believe there was a different ending...
(06-12-2009, 04:23 AM)Dazz Wrote: [ -> ]Did you ever complete the game with Ash as a Vandal Heart? I believe there was a different ending...

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. Yes, I beat the game both normally and as a Vandalier. It's true you get an alternate ending screen. However, there are two versions of each, with only slight difference in copyright information.

Anyways, I went ahead and made the next batch of background sheets, so you can see them for yourself. Feel free to correct any mistakes I made.

[Image: VHtitlescreenIcon.png] [Image: VHendingIcon.png] [Image: VHmiscbackgroundIcon.png]

The remaining backgrounds would be the maps.
Ah yeah, I remember seeing those when I was checking out the tims on the disc.
Nice work Smile
Thanks.

This is the last set of backgrounds I ripped. They are world maps, divided by 6 chapters.

[Image: VHCh1mapIcon.png] [Image: VHCh2mapsIcon.png]
[Image: VHCh3mapsIcon.png] [Image: VHCh4mapsIcon.png] [Image: VHCh5mapsIcon.png] [Image: VHCh6mapsIcon.png]
Too bad PSicture was discontinued, isn't?
Nice rips
Just a quick question about these rips, WrathBone. You're saving them as GIFs, right? GIFs can only have up to 256 colours. How many colours does each individual image have? 'cuz I have a feeling the way you're saving them is making the images lose a lot of their colours...

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
(06-13-2009, 04:50 AM)Ultimecia Wrote: [ -> ]Too bad PSicture was discontinued, isn't?
Nice rips

Thanks. I only recently started ripping, so I don't really know what I'm doing nor all tools that are available.

(06-13-2009, 05:12 AM)Random Talking Bush Wrote: [ -> ]Just a quick question about these rips, WrathBone. You're saving them as GIFs, right? GIFs can only have up to 256 colours. How many colours does each individual image have? 'cuz I have a feeling the way you're saving them is making the images lose a lot of their colours...

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Man, I wished I was asked that before I was finished. How do you determine the number of colors an image has? Each picture was originally saved as BMP file. Honestly, I don't want to have to start over, but I willing to do it if necesary.
(06-13-2009, 11:55 AM)WrathBone Wrote: [ -> ]Man, I wished I was asked that before I was finished. How do you determine the number of colors an image has? Each picture was originally saved as BMP file. Honestly, I don't want to have to start over, but I willing to do it if necesary.
Paint Shop Pro (which is what I use for all of my sprite ripping) has a function that counts the amount of colours in an image. Like I said, GIFs only have 256 colours maximum, and PNGs can have an unlimited amount.

Also, it seems that a few of the sheets got shrunken down. Seeing as they're hosted on Photobucket, you should check the upload settings to make sure that it's set to "1 megabyte file size", or else it will get shrunken down if it's bigger than 1024x768 (since that's what Photobucket has as its default).
I also use Paint Shop Pro, I don't recall Photoshop being able to count colors, I may be wrong.
Usually I save my files in .png format, it can handle unlimited colors, like RTB told, plus transparent. And it also got compression, like .jpg, but it don't loses it's quality.

Some images when you see the PSicture got palettes, and some of those images (to much my dismay) got sprites using different palettes at the same time! So if one image seems messy, it's because it may be using the wrong palette.
But some images the program can't recognize the palette, so all we can do it's to play the game to check the palette and change it manually (Paint Shop Pro got some tools to do that easier than Photoshop), but sometimes they are just so messed up that there's nothing we can do.
Pages: 1 2