The VG Resource

Full Version: I hate unnecessary sequels
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/06/...s-preview/

On the one hand- holy fuck new specials holy fuck melee holy fuck chainsaw

On the other: I'm thinking this was A Dick Move (and not what I'd expect from valve) releasing it so close to the first. It's not exactly giving the original much longevity and I can't say I'm happy with the idea of buying a whole new game just for some features that mostly should have been in the original anyway (or should be added!)

This does kind of make L4D seem more like a preview than a finished product in comparison, especially given how content-light it was. IMO they should focus on adding more stuff to l4d and giving it a longer life than just replacing it completely with a New Shiny Version.

and goddamn am I pissed at spending £30 on what could turn out to amount to little more than a tech preview.
How long ago did the first one come out, anyway?
(06-01-2009, 06:23 PM)Devicho Wrote: [ -> ]How long ago did the first one come out, anyway?

It's hasn't been out for even a year
but by the look of some of those achievements earned in the IGN vids i think it could be a dlc
I'm hoping it's DLC / expansion
even if I have to pay for it, if it's an expansion or something of that ilk then I doubt it'll be full price
I guess we're all jumping the gun a bit, but it's leaving a bad taste in my mouth otherwise; paying for more of the same so hot on the heels of the original? That's mean. Even if left4dead2 is the most amazing game ever it still seems dick to people who own the first.

Unless it's an expansion.
Hrrr.
It doesn't look like DLC...

Yeah I don't think we needed this for a while to be honest. I mean L4D is awesome but it really hasn't been out long enough at all.
It's not really confirmed WHAT it is. As some people pointed out on the rockpapershotgun post, they might take a hint from other games where it's like an episodic expansion
... like half life actually

Or like City of Heroes is doing.

I kneejerked in my original post but I'm still apprehensive; it still seems kind of dickish
....and those character designs are fuggo.
Wait!

http://www.videogamer.com/news/valve_det...plans.html
This, although it's about the original game, MIGHT be relevant:

"“So each time we’ve released one of those [updates] for Team Fortress 2 we’ve seen about a 20% increase in the number of people who are playing online. And that number is really important because it determines how many community created maps there are, how many servers are running, and so on. So we’ll do the same thing with Left 4 Dead where we’ll have the initial release and then we’ll release more movies, more characters, more weapons, unlockables, achievements, because that’s the way you continue to grow a community over time.”"

They might still be sticking to this and maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised. I hope so.

I'm STILL apprehensive because it seems very weird to name what is essentially an expansion as though it were a sequel.

PROBABLY BEING REALLY KNEEJERKY AND REACTIONARY NOW I FEEL KIND OF LIKE A DICK. This could go either way.
dude, its valve. they know what they're doing.
SUDDENLY FANBOYISM.

Just because they have a good track record doesn't mean they're completely incapable of fuckups.
we're just making conclusions out of thin air. we're free to speculate, but its good to have said "good record" into these speculations.
(06-02-2009, 12:52 PM)Zeemort Wrote: [ -> ]SUDDENLY FANBOYISM.

Just because they have a good track record doesn't mean they're completely incapable of fuckups.

i.e. stupid ass item drop system in TF2
I dunno, the hype and appeal for TF2 hasn't died since release, as well as other Valve games but people who I thought were Zombie loving freaks are returning their copies for "Lack of substance." Maybe L4D2 is to make sure we get the bang for the buck should have gotten the first time? Besides if anything this means that if L4D2 is an outright success, it means they will pour every fiber into outdoing it for 3 which may not happen for another 2-4 years.

Sides, the title is L4D2, it was at E3, this probably isn't DLC. The easiest thing to do now to quell any feelings of grievance is to hope there's a offer from Valve for a half price on the sequel.
(06-02-2009, 10:25 PM)Djanjo Wrote: [ -> ]this probably isn't DLC.

That didn't stop valve from showcasing the new item unlock system before the medic update was out, also Meet The Scout vid at some other confrence.
(06-02-2009, 11:02 PM)Rob Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-02-2009, 10:25 PM)Djanjo Wrote: [ -> ]this probably isn't DLC.

That didn't stop valve from showcasing the new item unlock system before the medic update was out, also Meet The Scout vid at some other confrence.

the footage I've seen of L4D2 shows off what looks like an entirely new engine with better blood rendering etc, and the hud looks completely revamped

I doubt this is a mere update.