The VG Resource

Full Version: [Art] Sonic Adventure 2 HD render
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was bored and while looking over some 3d rips I had made, and decided to make a nicer render of a Crazy Gadget rip I had. I touched up a few textures, added some bump mapping, and gave it a new HUD. A screenshot of this area in the real game is below for comparison. I used the Sonic model from Sonic Unleashed Wii. This is a WIP so I'd just like a general idea of how to make it better.

[Image: sa2hd.jpg]
[Image: ingameshot.png]
The model clashes with the background. The background itself is fairly clean-looking, however.
Hell, I'd play it. I think the palettes need updating too, though.
Well it sounds like it needs better lighting so I'll get it rerendered soon.
I just dont like the glossiness of the blue fur? on sonic
I reduced the glossiness on Sonic and improved the lighting a little. I still think the lighting still needs work though. I also need to put in the ring capsule.
Try a brighter stage like metal harbor, and for effect have sonic facing the cam. I can picture that being an ideal render.

Gotta say, though, the top one looks like it could be a level straight out of Sonic 06. I never realized you could render gamecube games in such high quality.
I like the idea of doing a Metal Harbor render actually. I think I'll do one with him facing the camera. Most of the reason he's facing away from the camera though is so that it looks like it really could have been a real screenshot.

As for the high quality thing, its rendered in 3ds Max with a HUD made with a font as close to the actual HUD's font as possible. The ring in the font was resized and needs to be redone, but the life icon was rendered with the Sonic Unleashed model's head.
You, tomodachi, are among tSR goers the greatest hacker of 128 bit games. Love it.

Dammit now I have to go buy 3ds Max!!!
Well you don't NEED Max. If you don't have a lot of experience in 3d stuff I'd recommend starting with a free 3d program to get a feel for it before swamping yourself with all of the features in Max. Also, if you're thinking its ingame its not unfortunately. While I know documentation for SA2's model format exist, there's currently no converter and I don't think I wanna spend a year hacking a model through hex.
(05-24-2009, 01:06 AM)Shadowth117 Wrote: [ -> ]Well you don't NEED Max. If you don't have a lot of experience in 3d stuff I'd recommend starting with a free 3d program to get a feel for it before swamping yourself with all of the features in Max. Also, if you're thinking its ingame its not unfortunately. While I know documentation for SA2's model format exist, there's currently no converter and I don't think I wanna spend a year hacking a model through hex.

I use Anim8or right now (actually recommended to me by a member of the old pixeltendo in the thread for the fan game Super Smash Bros. Massacre, which I still have on my computer), and while easy to use, it's very limited, so I actually kind of DO need Max. Though I might go back to using milkshape so that I can practice using bones to alter models (a new experience for me).

Either way, keep up the good work!
Fantastic job dude, this looks great!
I love seeing HD renders
Looks a lot better.