The VG Resource

Full Version: How to use sprites
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well... i have recently begun downloading character sprites from in here, and i have but one problem... i can't see the boanderies of each frame of the sprite... for an instance, if i have a ninja turtle walking and i wish to make it into an animation, since i do not know the width, height and offsets of the images, he ends up looking like he has an epileptical attack, shaking a lot. how do u guys find those boundaries?
Using my current wip as an example.

[Image: medamini.png]

I tend to create a box big enough to fit any of the sprites and then paste one in and paste the next sprite over it. It usually comes out fine.

[Image: arms.gif]
Most half-way decent animators should allow you to move the sprite around; the one I use gives an onion skin, so if you combine that with transparency around the sprite, you shouldn't need 'set' boundaries, because you can move around the sprites and align them as you see fit.
Shawn's method works too, it just seems too time-consuming to me.
Well... the problem is that some sprites are so messed up ripped (Actually 90% of those i've found are" that it's rather impossible to determin those boundaries that shawn does... see, his sprite is a very rectangular sprite, also the body doesn't move that much, so it's easy to see where the center of the sprite has to be according to the previous sprite, but it is far from alwyas easy!
I'm using a method reminding very much of shawns...
But let me SHOW my problem instead, in that way it's probably much easier to understand!
First, this is the sprite i wish to make an animation from:
[attachment=2357]
Now, then i tried to extract the walking animation from it, and ended up with this:
[attachment=2357]
As said i used a method similiar to Shawns, however... since i find it impossible to find the particular place the current frame starts and ends, it just get's messy...
Sry, i ended up with walking.gif, not donatello.gif!
I have the same problem !

I try to make jump a player but the sprite well positionned. and it the same on each sprite i found Sad !

It alway have a small error of few pixel.

How could I know the offset, the width of the square around each sprite (someone is clearly not the same for all the animation), ...

Did he existe a secret way ? :p

in advance thanks for the help
Nice bump, man! Warned and locked.
Also, let me add if you would like to post a question like this, please do it in a topic that's active, or make a request for help. I'm sure people would like to help you out, but there's no need to bump two month old topics.