The VG Resource

Full Version: Darkyoshi Mario Engine 4
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Darkyoshi Engine 4 (a.k.a DE4) is a open-source mario engine made by me, DeeY
You can make platform games or platform-puzzle games with this engine!.

This engine has a lot of features, incluiding ones never seen on an engine like SMB3 Styled Goals, SMW Pipe Cannons, etc...

Screenshots
[Image: 2mgmtg3.png]

Download
[Image: link.png]

Gameplay Video
http://www.youtube.com/v/BVMfoCvtKY0&hl=en&fs=1&

Hope you like and enjoy my fourth engine!
psst

what would be those "plus ones never seen on an engine"
is a pedometer included

[just tryin' to get more people to download your stuff!!!!!!]
(05-17-2009, 11:13 AM)Kosheh Wrote: [ -> ]psst

what would be those "plus ones never seen on an engine"
is a pedometer included

[just tryin' to get more people to download your stuff!!!!!!]

LOL

- Sliding down slopes (Without making another object)
- SMW Goombas
- SMA4 "!" Switch
- Extralifes house
- Enemy Generators from SMW

and much more!
It's very nicely done. The code is very reasonable, but I do see a bit of extra fluff here and there, but that's ok. What I think would make this a REALLY good engine for people is to do a little cleaning up and some major commenting so people know what does what. It's good practice as a programmer to do so, particularly when you're making an engine.

My next suggestion is to do a bit more of a strip-down. Reduce it to a platform engine, heavily comment, and put a lot of your larger sequences of code into smaller scripts to make it easier to read the code. I mean, it makes sense that it's all there, but you've done a great job on the project itself, now it's time for polish and beginning to wrap it up with aims on making it user friendly and idiot-proof.

I like it, it has a lot of the things I've made, but done in different ways. So trust me, I'll be using this from time to time. I always forget the best way to do platform collision detection, so I may end up using this as a reference. Then again, I may not; a lot of people don't, so don't be disjointedness with people who use your code and don't give you credit, just make it a point to support and promote the good projects that DO give you credit.

And again, trust me, this is four start work (out of five) and is absolutely well done including everything you need for a mario clone. So, polish it up and liberally add comments, and reduce some of the larger blocks to scripts so readability is easier. Do your best!
(05-17-2009, 12:23 PM)Zee Wrote: [ -> ]*Long post*

I made recently a Platform Engine, If you want i'll PM it to you
Sure, I could always pad my reference and example folder, not sure when I'll use it, but it may come up the next time I get into another 72 hour game creation competition. God that was fun, and platformers are so easy to make in short order too.

So yeah, I'll take it. Just remember the commenting thing, it's REEAALLLLY important.
(05-17-2009, 12:34 PM)Zee Wrote: [ -> ]Sure, I could always pad my reference and example folder, not sure when I'll use it, but it may come up the next time I get into another 72 hour game creation competition. God that was fun, and platformers are so easy to make in short order too.

So yeah, I'll take it. Just remember the commenting thing, it's REEAALLLLY important.

Done, Check your inbox!.
Updated!

- 3 new enemies
- Added a code to bump blocks from below with objects
- Changed the castle level
I'm working on a new update, expect it soon

- Cape Koopas (From SMW)
- New Montymole movement
- You can find mario's movement and animation on the scripts folder
- Vine Warp (From SMB or NSMB)
- Big Collisions (To don't waste space)
- Conveyor blocks (Changes the conveyor belt direction)
- Spiked Blocks (From NSMB)
- Poison water (From NSMB)

EDIT: Sorry for Double-Posting
Since no one posted this, I see no problem in pointing it out: The link for the .exe is a no-go. Not sure if it has anything to do with the update.
(06-07-2009, 11:05 PM)-Q- Wrote: [ -> ]Since no one posted this, I see no problem in pointing it out: The link for the .exe is a no-go. Not sure if it has anything to do with the update.

I deleted accidentally the executable, sorry!
Well, I finally got around to checking out that engine you sent me. Not bad work, took a little to figure the controls and such, but not bad. Not exceptional, but very well put-together.

I certainly approve of it.
Updated!

- Many glitch fixes
- More things
- Added a .txt file on the zip
Updated, Now the GM users that doesn't have GM pro can use my engine. Wink
Updated!
Pages: 1 2 3