The VG Resource

Full Version: Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes cancelled
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.crimsonechoes.com/
Well apparently Square decided it would be a wonderful idea to cancel this great fan project. This is unfortunate because it was already 98 percent complete and was looking to be quite awesome. Its sad that Square wants to cancel this project because the most that they've done with the series in years is to make port it to DS and slap in a few minor things. While its definitely within their rights to cancel the project, I hate the fact that the owners of the series won't even bother to actually do anything with it themselves and they basically say fuck you to the anyone that does just because they didn't (and probably couldn't) do it themselves.

RIP Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes...
Square's reason for doing this is pure and simple - It's a full blown rom hack that's being publicised.
They gave out their details, and they claimed copyright. When you hack a rom and distribute it like that, you're saying "We're breaking the law - break it with us" - they can't claim copyright on a rom hack, that's the most absurd thing I've heard.
Sure, it sucks, but it doesn't shock.

I am in no way promoting the illegal distribution of software, but projects like this need to be done under an alias, so that you're only known as a fake name, and with no trace of who you really are, and you do not claim any rights on the thing. When you advertise your own law breaking, you're asking for trouble.
You can't get prosecuted if you can't be found.

That's why romhacks before this of Chrono Trigger were not done in this manner, but distributed regularly.
Square have been very sneaky in doing this. Pulling a stunt like this towards the end of a 5 year project just makes it even more of a kick in the nuts, and draws up a bigger reaction, which in turn brings in more attention. They've probably raised awareness of their franchise to a whole bunch of people by doing this.

And before you ask "But who doesn't know about Chrono Trigger?" A LOT of people don't
Well fact is that they hadn't release any rom until now - so yeah, it's actually the CE staff's fault.
They couldn't do shit when they didn't have anything released.
Square has actually screwed over a lot of things. I remember a group making 12 3D animations of what they felt were the best CT scenes, and it got cancelled because of SE. SE seems to be very harsh when it comes to their copyrights, especially with CT. It's stupid, but oh well.
(05-14-2009, 01:23 PM)Skye McCloud Wrote: [ -> ]Square has actually screwed over a lot of things. I remember a group making 12 3D animations of what they felt were the best CT scenes, and it got cancelled because of SE. SE seems to be very harsh when it comes to their copyrights, especially with CT. It's stupid, but oh well.

i do remember that. we went from WHOA to AWWW~ in seconds.
I think its worth saying that Square is one of the only(maybe only) companies that is bothered by things like this. If Sega cared about things like this then Sonic 1 Megamix and many other Sonic rom hacks would have been stopped years ago. Not to mention that there are compilable dissasemblies of most of the Genesis Sonic games that haven't been bothered. Nintendo seems to have a similar opinion on the subject. If Nintendo was anything like Square then all of the SSBB hacking that's been done would never have gotten nearly as far as it has.
you know how much a chronno trigger sequel/remake(despite cross) would sell, don't you? if i was square, i'd do the same.