The VG Resource

Full Version: Am I the only one who thinks... (Zelda related)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Very long TLDR; thread, brace yourselves.

The Legend of Zelda series has always been one of the best games ever made. It wasn't until Ocarina of Time it's popularity sky rocketed and the series became an even more important staple to Nintendo's name. Twilight Princess made me realize that the standards and hopes of gamers have spiraled out of control ever since Oot, they expect each game to be some kind of "Lord of the Rings epic" that ends up being the most ground breaking game of the year.

Let's rewind all the way back to the NES, the debut of the very first Zelda game. You were put in the middle of nowhere with no direction on where to go. You were given a sword and it was all up to you to figure out what exactly you would have to do to save the land. At it's time Zelda was considered a revolution in gaming, one of the most incredible games of that time to ever come out. Link to the Past built on top of this formula and made it more user friendly for the general audience, but the difficulty was considerably at the same level. To many, they consider this besides Oot, the pinnacle of all Zelda games, almost enough to call it "perfection."

Ocarina of Time was Nintendo's chance to bring Zelda into 3d, and they created a formula that harkened back to LTTP and expanded on it as well. With the power of the N64 Nintendo was able to present the story of the game in a much more impressive manner then before, but if you really take a good look underneath all it's bells and whistles, it was really LTTP in 3d brilliantly recreated. It was not the same game, but everything the formula had was rightfully retained and beautifully executed once again. This also however to me, signified a new era in the franchise's name. The expectations of fans and new gamers that were introduced to the series marked a new beginning for Nintendo. Majora's Mask was released soon after, and it tipped the scales on what everyone was expecting out of true sequel to Oot. It was a fantastic game and continues to be one to this day, so how do you top that? Nintendo however, chose a different route instead of giving us another sequel akin to Oot and MM, we got the Wind Waker.

It was at this point we should have realized how crazy the expectations of each Zelda game were to the fans. To many it was like Nintendo was pulling a horrible prank on it's entire fanbase, while another half of the fan base embraced the change of pace. It was at this time the entire Zelda audience was split in half. The Wind Waker eventually released and ended up being a phenomenal success despite the constant moaning and accusations of Nintendo "babying" it's own franchise. People weren't happy though, and soon after Nintendo promised to deliver with what everyone expected to be the best Zelda ever.

Twilight Princess's first teaser debuted at E3 of 2004. The announcement shook a large part of the industry and seemed to have put the franchise "back on top." After years of delays and being hyped up to heaven, TP finally released on the Gamecube and Nintendo Wii. What we got was nothing we expected, but one of the most sub par games in the franchise that reeked of one message, appealing to the fans. A good number still consider it a good game, but to many it's nothing we were expecting. Twilight Princess was nothing more but a love letter to Oot fans, and it lasted for a good time, but the bitter sweet taste of the game eventually caught on to us. You can argue as long as you want on why TP didn't deliver or if you disagree with me, but I feel that the main reason TP ended up not being as great as we had hoped was because it only existed for the fans that were drawn in after Oot.

I won't get into PHG, because I haven't played enough of it to give you my two cents on it. The point I'm trying to make quite simply, is that the fans need to tone down and rethink what Zelda truly is about. Ocarina of Time is definitely a fine game, and I also consider it one of the best games I've ever played, but people have forgotten what makes each Zelda game so wonderful.

The sensation I used to feel from the games has not been present for awhile now. I haven't felt that wonderful feeling that I was playing something truly amazing ever since the Wind Waker. It's that same feeling you get from playing game you love you just can't put into words. The deeper the series falls into the general audience, the less "Zelda" the games will be. We need more games like the Wind Waker, a new Zelda that dares to be different and have it's own personality despite what the fans want. I have incredible faith that the new Zelda game being made that is supposedly a break from the norm will be able to do this. I believe that if Nintendo keeps appealing to the same generation from Oot that expect the games to be something more then they are, it will be like wringing a towel completely dry. That's what TP almost did.

End rant.
Gonna sound like my usual self here when I say this;

Majora's Mask will always be the best and no future Zelda release will ever top that or OOT.
Every Zelda up to the Wind Waker for me. Even the Oracle games.
Oh, and Legend of Princess was amazing too.

But we're not counting fangames here right.
Heart Legend of Princess

I still play it fdsfsd
Twilight Princess was lackluster, Phantom Hourglass geniunely made me not want to play it. Ever again.
Twilight Princess was fun and pretty. And had Shad in it. Heart

I don't care much for the Zelda games, but I find the mechanics and items imaginative. That's about it. Oracle of Seasons was my favourite game of the series.
tbqh I like all of them, but oot was, is, and always will be the best (shut up tyvon MM is not better we are not having this discussion again)
I don't really agree that TP was made just to appeal to oot fans though
EVERYBODY was hyped up about it, not just oot people

besides, how was it created for oot fans anyway? none of the same story elements are in it and it still hasd the same characters from every other zelda game (I'm talking races here, such as the gorons, etc.) Kakariko village was in lttp first, so techiically oot was a homage to that

explain, please
(05-06-2009, 01:59 PM)Vipershark Wrote: [ -> ]explain, please
Did you even play the game? Asking for an explanation is like questioning why water can put out fire.
OSM, I have to say that I agree with you on basically every point your post made, hahaha. For me, The Wind Waker is the best Zelda game ever, and Majora's Mask is sitting directly behind it. It's how these games broke the mold that makes them truly great; like you said, the Zelda series will continue to slowly die as long as Nintendo keeps squeezing that OoT sponge.
yes
I have the game
specifics please

aisde from the fact that it controls similarly and link's character design, I see no difference
I played Zelda on the NES.

then played LTTP on the SNES.

then got the OOT and MM on the N64.(lets be honest its the only reason one would buy a n64 back in the day. the expansion pack for MM was a fucking rickroll :'(.)

and i do remember when those first pictures of the new Zelda game with Link dueling Ganon. we all expected it not to be another Zelda, but rather to be another "more beatiful OOT". and so we waited until Wind Waker came out and i was like "lolwut". for the majority of fans that grow up with every zelda game being the incarnation of beatifully rendered worlds full of magic details(dude, i remember when i first walked around into the kokiri forest i was distracted following those small ligth things floating around in first person for a while), the wind waker was, at first, a huge letdown. the expectations are high over every zelda game since the NES(dude, remember when LTTP came out and that 3D triforce was in your screen?), and for that reason WW became the bastardized version of the series, for extremely unfair reasons(mainly graphics, but it is an awesome game on its own). i bet thats the reason why nintendo decided to turn the next zelda into what everyone expected: a beatiful and huge and extensive world full of scenes that should be forever remembered for its beatifullness among a truly spiritual love. and nintendo did it, but there was something on TP like osm said that left you with quite a bitter taste. there was something missing. and its probably not the game itself, but rather the hype over it. every time a new nextgen zelda is announced, we basically expect a new mesias. and its true that we basically want a "lord of the rings-sized" epical adventure, because the series have grown up to become the meaning of epic adventures itself, come on. its almost a point when zelda is almost the "stereotype" of the dude with the sword and shield who saves the magic kingdom.
I posted in a topic at MFGG that discussed a similar idea. Basically, every game since Mario 64/OoT/MM including your precious Mario Galaxy has been trying to duplicated their 64 counterparts and each one has failed. I agree. I haven't been excited for a game in a long time. No new stuff, just rehashing of the same old crap. I didn't like WW, I didn't like Galaxy. I even liked Sunshine more than Galaxy.
Over the years I've noticed gamers- "hardcore" gamers have become increasingly babyish. All they do is complain. The reason? Their standards are far too high.

Its okay to have standards, I know I do, but gamers these days let their standards get in the way of enjoying what are actually good games... Just because they aren't as good as others.
(05-06-2009, 12:45 PM)Osiris Wrote: [ -> ]Majora's Mask will always be the best and no future Zelda release will ever top that or OOT.
Pages: 1 2