The VG Resource

Full Version: Learning to Draw
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I aspire to be a spriter; however, I do not have any experience with drawing. For that reason, I am looking for books that would guide me through learning how to draw. Does anyone here have any recommendations?
You sound like Mabelma.

Every bookstore worth a damn has an art section with books on how to draw. Take the time to go to one and look (as in do more than glance at the covers) at the books they have on drawing there, and choose one or more that give advice and methods that you agree with.

Then it's a matter of practice. Be aware that spriting skill doesn't necessarily translate to drawing skill. Oh, and moved to Creativity.
(05-05-2009, 10:28 AM)GrooveMan.exe Wrote: [ -> ]Every bookstore worth a damn has an art section with books on how to draw. Take the time to go to one and look (as in do more than glance at the covers) at the books they have on drawing there, and choose one or more that give advice and methods that you agree with.

Then it's a matter of practice. Be aware that spriting skill doesn't necessarily translate to drawing skill. Oh, and moved to Creativity.

I was hoping that the people here would be able to make recommendations based upon personal experience. I do not buy books unless they come with great reviews from people that I respect. Smile

If you do not mind the inquiry, what books have you read that have personally helped you?

And thank you, I did not know where to put this post exactly.
Nuh-uh. Drawing and other creative media are entirely dependant on the person. Have some balls and look yourself. I'm sure you know yourself well enough to be able to tell what you like and what you don't.
(05-05-2009, 10:54 AM)GrooveMan.exe Wrote: [ -> ]Nuh-uh. Drawing and other creative media are entirely dependant on the person. Have some balls and look yourself. I'm sure you know yourself well enough to be able to tell what you like and what you don't.

I do not really understand why I am receiving this kind of attitude from you. I am just asking a simple question. I am new to drawing and just wish to start on the best possible footing.
I'm direct, which is a trait of many here. Be happy that you're getting advice, y'know? =D
GrooveMan does have a point - You know what your own interests are, so look for the subject that you're interested in - is it cartoon, or real?
(05-05-2009, 11:33 AM)Dazz Wrote: [ -> ]GrooveMan does have a point - You know what your own interests are, so look for the subject that you're interested in - is it cartoon, or real?

Thank you for your replies.

I was considering purchasing a few books on introductory drawing, but I have decided against it. I have learned over the last few days that drawing is a very personal thing itself. I was hoping there would be a systematic approach since that is how I like to tackle most problems, but there isn't one., Cry With that being said, I did purchase a book on perspective and color theory. Cute I know, I know, they are beyond my skill level, but I like to read and be ready for new challenges. Ninja

I am working on my first sprite right now! I have finished the hair and beard, which turned out nicely. Now, I simply need to do the clothes and I will post it for everyone to critique. Big Grin
Barrington Barber is what I've used, but I can't tell you if that's better than other books. I find it quite good, not too much heavy reading but to the point.
I hate drawing books, they've never really helped me, unless it was for how to do something specific.
They only help me for muscle anatomy. Not much apart from that.
They are right, no-one has the same taste or style of drawing.
If you are going to buy books i suggest you buy books about anatomy. It Can be a serious pain learning to draw the human body, trust me, i know. I still have problems with anatomy and i had them since i was 4.
Based on what you have problems with, you can get a book that suits you. Otherwise, i suggest you Google for certain drawing-styles.
2 Things you should know when you draw is not to over-detail or shade it too much, Since It will come out like crap then, And always draw the hands/feet a little bigger than they should be.
Look at other people's drawings and take them as an "Goal" you want to reach. If you practice enough you will become as great as the artist and maybe even better.
Try out different styles, examine the human body and the most important step: DON'T GIVE UP!
Giving up leads nowhere and just makes you feel bad. Instead, try to improve it. If it can not be improved, Then be happy!
You have done your best and thats it! You simply have to wait until you get better at it. There is no shortcut to getting good at drawing.
Just draw by yourself, it will make you develop your own style and your drawings unique. Drawing-books sometimes leads nowhere, and therefore, you should try it out yourself.
You draw by Your Rules, and not somebody else's. Try, you will get better.
Thank you! Big Grin
Vanderpole, Bridgman, Loomis, Hultgren. Those guys know what their talkin about, I reccommend you read em.
(05-07-2009, 04:35 PM)Dark Kamek Wrote: [ -> ]Vanderpole, Bridgman, Loomis, Hultgren. Those guys know what their talkin about, I reccommend you read em.

Yes, sir! Cute
Pages: 1 2