The VG Resource

Full Version: [Pokemon Leaf Green Romhack] Luna Iridescent
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[Image: version1logo.jpg]

[The Legend]

“Three titans of our sins shall pursue us until the end times, but so long as good people make good effort, we shall keep them quelled. Yet even our prayers and spells cannot hold back the evils they wield, for they grow stronger as more people sin . It is predicted by the Dream Guides that one will unleash them through no intent of their own. The evils will erupt from their cloisters and reign defilement upon the world. The one who will unleash them cannot possibly defeat these great evils, nor will he be able to stop the destiny that shall ultimately lay darkness before the land.”
Every elder is required to pass down this legend, for in the twilight we are to ask the youngest adult in the town to look to the full moon. If it shines with every color imaginable, then that is the month of release of the titans, and the burden of this Legend will no longer be mine to bear, but the history of those who survive.” Madam ‘Ercuz

[The Story]

The Region of Iwaja is under attack from the Empire of Hajo, an army outfitted with hand-to-hand combatants and the monsters from the spirit world. You as a simple farm hand will be required to fulfill a destiny you weren’t meant to. To save your home, and protect your family, you must rally together the cities of Iwaja and free them from the tyrannical power of the invading empire. But is everything as it seems?
The empire seems to better the communities it overtakes, and the people living there don’t seem oppressed, even better they’re happy with their new effective rulers. The choice is yours, do you prove yourself a worthy avatar of destiny or do you try and save your town by becoming part of the empire and keeping your family safe with an iron hand of justice?
And what of the cities that fight their new rulers, the ones trying to hold on to tradition. Are they fighting an impossible fight to stay under its own rule, or are the invaders really pushing hard on some towns and not others? Every day the new moon waxes a little more, and when the skies are clear for one fateful night, who is left holding fate in their hands?

You?

Somebody you love?

Somebody you think you can trust?

Sometimes destiny picks a strong hand to lead the world into a new age, or did it sow the seed of guidance in some unfortunate soul doomed to corruption?

[The Starters & Pokedex Entries]
[Image: 001poppakom.png][Image: 004pyrecone.png][Image: 007kapdo.png]

With 151 Brand New Pokemon planned, an immense story and a difficulty that fans of the first one have craved, I've got my next three months ahead of me as busy, busy turning this copy of Pokemon Leaf Green into something of my own creation. The graphics I show you now are splices, done for the sake of proof of concept, and are subject to possibly being changed.

[Image: iwajamap.png]

An entirely new world, new monsters, new challenges, and a whole new adventure.

//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\

Lets talk shop: I've got 151 Pokemon, I'll be creating all of these monsters as the time comes, I've got lots of graphics to change and a lot to do. I won't even begin to start on the real meat of the work until the end of next week (after my finals). But don't think I won't do it, I've spent the afternoon procuring the tools and pieces I need, as well as pulled my documents from the archives for this.

The reason I'm bringing this out is because of my good comrade Tyvon, and I'll be releasing the hack on PixelCore when it's finished. I'd tentatively say that a demo will be finished by the end of the month, though it could take much longer if I hit significant snags. But I am nothing if I can't drum up interest. So, I figure that maybe I'll offer the opportunity for a few of you to get special mention in the game.

Here's the challenge. Create a sprite for a single Normal Type pokemon, but it has to do with music. The setting is an older era, so things like beatboxes and electric guitars are out. The style is Diamond/Pearl Style, however with the limitations of Ruby/Sapphire. The best one will get into the game, and you will get a mention in the credits.

I'll end the contest when my first Demo is complete, and to find out the winner, it'll be put into the game, stats and all. So, I hope I've got enough of your collective attentions with this one.

~Zee
your sprites are pretty good so far, can you please post a vid or more sprites/mock ups
Drumbeat (name not permanent, I just can't think of a good one)
Drum Pokemon
Height: 3'6"
Weight 22.1 lbs
Type: Normal
Drumbeat uses its tail as a mallet to hit the tight skin on its back like a drum. The sound scares of predators, and Drumbeat can change the pitch by filling its hollow body with air.

[Image: drumpokemon.png]
Ooh nice, any signature moves or anything else you think I should know about it?
Well are there going to be new moves for this game? If so, then the move would be this.

Percussion. Normal type, 10 PP, 80 Attack, 100 Accuracy, 30% chance of lowering opponents defense. Wakes up any pokemon on the field (Opponents, or teammates in double battle, or both).

His ability would be Soundproof, and he'd learn stuff like Screech, Roar, Hyper Voice, Sing, Metal Sound, Perish Song, and Uproar. Also, if this game distinquishes between Male and Female with sprite differences like DP did, then the Male would have larger ears and a bigger ball on the end of his tail.
Those pokedex entries aren't very good, grammatically speaking.

Mind if I fix them for you?
I think I'll be able to figure out how to alter moves to make my own, yeah. Otherwise I'll find something sound-based for it, since that's relavent.

And if you want to make suggestions for better pokedex entries, go right ahead Vipershark. I understand my composition skills are lacking.
Quote:Poppakom used to be an extremely common Pokemon species, and was thought to be nothing more than weeds until they were found to have medicinal uses. Today, few remain and none are rumored to exist in the wild.

Pyrecones release a pheromone that is similar to the smell of incense, which helps people to fall asleep easily. The plate that Pyrecone sits on is actually part of its body.

Kapdo are young river guardians, and are able to sense when their river is in danger. The water in its dish is pure, which keeps it healthy.
somewhat better, hmm?

also are all of your pokemon (aside from kapdo) based off of everyday objects? it looks like poppakom is used for medicine, Pyrecone is an incense burner, and your instrument pokemon is an instrument, obviously
Suggestions:

Get better starters. I mean, Pyrecone is just an incense with a smiley face, and Poppakom is even stated in your Pokedex entry to be killed and turned to medicine.

Kapdo is OK, but that's about it.
yeah, I wanted to avoid the whole killing pokemon thing with poppakom
can I change it to him secreting a medicine ingredient or something
Well, I actually am going for a bit of a darker game. The main thing is that the Pokemon are unnatural beasts, later in the story the player will find out about how they came into the real world from the spirit world and overtook the normal animals, replacing them almost entirely. And as for being based on everyday objects, not quite. But Pyrecone is supposed to be a very slow fire type at first. He eventually becomes a Fire/Psychic type (the burnt-up smoke held together by psychic energy). Poppakom is a dandelion seed, and eventually becomes a Grass/Dark type with nasty Status effects, and the Kapdo becomes a Water/Fighting type with powerful physical moves. The other thing is that this is set in a feudal era, so I'm trying not to use modern things. Since the pokemon are monsters and spirits leaked from the Spirit world, they're less based on reality and more on what would be appropriate for spirits. They're sometimes a bit more cruel, but sometimes they're more based on objects than animals.

As for the starters themselves, i thought the first forms were supposed to be cute, although this does conflict with what I just said...

So, should I try and continue down a darker path, re-doing the style to reflect it, or should I stick to "Pokemon are cute and friendly" like every game before me? Either one means I re-do the graphics, because currently all of my graphics are splices. I intend them to be somewhat shoddy for the moment, they're just conceptual for now.

And an option I've considered is turning over my list to the masses. That way this project turns into more of a group deal, and I can focus more on the Rom-Hacking side. Or I could get a few people who want to sprite for it and make a small team, or I could just do it all myself like I planned. Really, I'm none-too picky about this right now. I've just been re-tooling a few things in the Rom so far like maps and playing with the script events.
Sacrificing Pommakom would be just plain stupid. Think about it.
Pommakom is your first pokemon, you turn it to medicine, two seconds later it's game over.
However, you could make it so that the medical part is the ball on top of the head.

The biggest problem with Pyrecone is that it is made out of inscense. Using STOMP will result in an instant KO!
And What is the evolution going to be? A Candle? A Lighter? Blowtorch?
However i like the idea, maybe Pyrecone could be the Baby format of something else.
(05-04-2009, 03:22 AM)Shadow Computer Wrote: [ -> ]Sacrificing Pommakom would be just plain stupid. Think about it.
Pommakom is your first pokemon, you turn it to medicine, two seconds later it's game over.
However, you could make it so that the medical part is the ball on top of the head.

The biggest problem with Pyrecone is that it is made out of inscense. Using STOMP will result in an instant KO!
And What is the evolution going to be? A Candle? A Lighter? Blowtorch?
However i like the idea, maybe Pyrecone could be the Baby format of something else.

It's just a Pokedex entry, they're flavor, and have pretty much no effect on the game itself. Like the fact in the original games, Pidgey would eat a Caterpie, well, my Pidgey never ATE a Caterpie in that game, but according to the Pokedex it did. So really, it's ultimately moot, aside from flavor. There wouldn't be any actual sacrificing of Pokemon.
responding to the post you made before this one, yes, I do think you should keep a darker game. There aren't many of them around.

also j/w since this is set in a feudal time and pokeballs technically don't exist yet, are you going to make them be caught by apricorns like it said in G/S? also what about the pokedex? is it just a book you write in?

oh, and I'll need to revise poppakom's pokedex entry again, since I was trying to avoid the pokemon killing aspect before.
Quote:Poppakom used to be an extremely common Pokemon species, and were thought of as pests until they were found to have medicinal uses. Today, few remain alive and it is rumored that none exist in the wild.
much better
Alright. Well, the thing is I'm going to be using specially prepared items called, guess what, capture items. They range from items like Spells tags, to specially runed stones, to Apricorns with special magical inserts. I've got quite a few in mind, and if I can do it right, I'll have them offer special bonuses towards capturing certain monsters or spirits. The Pokedex is actually the Madam 'Ercuz's husbands journal, since it was his dream to see the world and record all the weird monsters that overtook the natural wildlife.

And I really like those pokedex entries you made, Vipershark, they fit well.
Pages: 1 2