The VG Resource

Full Version: Earthbound/Mother is so underrated
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I've been playing these games lately

fun as hell, I recommend you guys give them a shot at least

Earthbound definitely, amazing game so far
Mother 3 is one of the greatest games ever made and now a fan-translation patch it out there is no excuse not to play it.
Of course playing that made me dig my NTSC SNES out, which was brought for this game and Mario RPG, and I still can't decide if I like Mother 3 more or not.

Awesome, awesome games though.
Underrated? I've never seen anyone really 'underrate' the mother games. Most people I know love the hell out of them. (Well. The one they can play legally. Personally I own the japanese carts for all 3~.) I have to say though, that I am massively more fond of the 2nd game (Earthbound, as it's called in the U.S.) than the others. I guess it just holds up due to being a childhood favorite.
Underrated? No, not really. EB has an awesome setting, but the music is only ok, and the battle system is decidedly 'meh'.

Mother 3 is better in all ways except the setting isn't as interesting.
When I say underrated I mean "not very well known and appreciated." I don't hear much talk about the series as much as other IP's get. Nintendo needs to get EB on VC eventually, somehow. It's been the top most wanted game for VC for months now.
I started playing Mother 3 but JESUS CHRIST it's so hard.
And I suck at RPGs >:
(05-01-2009, 05:32 AM)OSM Wrote: [ -> ]When I say underrated I mean "not very well known and appreciated." I don't hear much talk about the series as much as other IP's get. Nintendo needs to get EB on VC eventually, somehow. It's been the top most wanted game for VC for months now.

It's on the JP VC, but American and European copyright laws won't allow it. A large part of the soundtrack takes riffs and samples from licensed songs, meaning that it would create legal issues of they released it overseas. It'd be possible to do a round up of the affected music lawyers and ask for the ability to release the game, but there's a lot of hoop jumping that neither partys want to get involved it.

Just pirate the goddamn thing. =/
(05-01-2009, 12:08 AM)Goemar Wrote: [ -> ]Mother 3 is one of the greatest games ever made
(05-01-2009, 09:47 AM)Rokkan Wrote: [ -> ]I started playing Mother 3 but JESUS CHRIST it's so hard.
And I suck at RPGs >:
The fucking rhythm system FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU

I can't even land many combos to be honest
GrooveMan.exe Wrote:It's on the JP VC, but American and European copyright laws won't allow it. A large part of the soundtrack takes riffs and samples from licensed songs, meaning that it would create legal issues of they released it overseas. It'd be possible to do a round up of the affected music lawyers and ask for the ability to release the game, but there's a lot of hoop jumping that neither partys want to get involved it.

Just pirate the goddamn thing. =/
probably will
i have to be honest. started playing EarthBound after NESS came out in the original SSB64
i've still never bothered to play an earthbound game

i'm not really in a rush to play one either
(05-01-2009, 02:14 AM)GrooveMan.exe Wrote: [ -> ]but the music is only ok

Angry
(05-01-2009, 10:53 AM)OSM Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-01-2009, 09:47 AM)Rokkan Wrote: [ -> ]I started playing Mother 3 but JESUS CHRIST it's so hard.
And I suck at RPGs >:
The fucking rhythm system FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU

I can't even land many combos to be honest

Rhythm system is pretty rad, but I have no clue how to start one. When I start a combo, I go all "FUCK YES FINALLY WAIT OH SHIT I WASN'T EXPECTING THAT FUUU" and I just land 2 or 3 hits because of that.
But the bosses.
Goddamn the bosses.
That mecha-dragon from chapter 1 was a total BITCH to kill. I only killed it at my 9th attempt. Chapter 2 I was all nice and dandy until... That symphonic poltergeist. Three hits from him and you're DEAD.
I stopped there. Specially because leveling-up in that mansion is a total pain in the ass.
(05-01-2009, 03:23 PM)Prometheus Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-01-2009, 02:14 AM)GrooveMan.exe Wrote: [ -> ]but the music is only ok

Angry

There are some tracks from it that I love (Your Name, Please; Hospital; and Boris' Cocktail most notably), but there arent' *that* many awesome tracks. Mother 3's is more consistently awesome.

The beat combos in M3 as a rule of thumb follow the drumline to the song and go at a fixed tempo with the exception of fights against Big Bros (Dry Guys), Carpet Monsters (Fate), and Stone Rexes (Accellerondo). If you have Duster in your party, you can use the Hypno Medal to send a foe to sleep, and it will layer their 'heartbeat' on top of the music, making is easier to time (The game will off-handedly hint at this before you enter Osohe Castle for the first time. This also works with fake battles in the Battle Encyclopedia, and the Hypno Medal has a higher success rate there - go nuts).

If you happen to be playing on VBA, there's a chance of input lag, which may prevent you from inputting the beat correctly.

Oh, and note that all bosses in the EB series are weak to at least one type of status effect. For Mr. Passion it's Crying. Throw a smoke bomb at the motherfucker, and all those candlesticks and kitchen sinks will miss. Once Boney joins you he can automatically detect weaknesses for you.
EB0 is the best imo >:

I love all the Earthbound games, all of them were well made (you can count the first one out graphic-wise), and gave me one of the most memorable bosses I will remember for the rest of my life Tongue
Pages: 1 2 3