The VG Resource

Full Version: RPG Maker XP Project- need spriter
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Greetings-

My name is Ryan Sharpe and I run the Video Game Development Club at the University of California, Irvine. We run several projects a year on different platforms (C++, Flash, UnrealEd, etc.) and this year one of the project teams decided to make an RPG using RPG Maker XP. Progress has been good so far- much of the scripting, story, and concept art is finished- but we lack a good sprite artist to help with the custom players, spells, and monsters beyond the RPG Maker 2k8 defaults.

It's not a paying gig, but we do get a chance to showcase these in front of the International Game Developer's Association every year, so it could look good on a resume' for future GBA/Flash development, if that's you're thing.

A brief synopsis, from our writer:

Quote:Kelliyah is the daughter of a minor nobleman who governs one of many
islands that are part of an expanding island empire. Her father is
assassinated one day. She soon discovers her father's journal and
realizes he was secretly leading a resistance group against the
empire. She contacts the new leader of the resistance and joins up,
hoping to discover her father's killer. Kelliyah does missions for the
resistance, finds new party members from various islands, and soon
becomes noticed as a threat to the empire. The empire captures
Kelliyah's mother to lure her out, but the incident results in her
mother's death. Kelliyah's goal then expands from seeking her father's
assassin to working toward the overthrow of the emperor. However, the
resistance leader is actually a pawn of the empire's prince, and
betrays Kelliyah when she keeps succeeding in missions she is supposed
to fail. The prince had Kelliyah's father killed so he could
manipulate the resistance and use it as a tool to create chaos and
take power from his father, the emperor. Kelliyah recovers from the
treachery and gathers allies to defeat the prince and his minions

We also have a gallery of screenshots you can view at http://profile.imageshack.us/user/AnteaterGames . As you can see, the hand-drawn art doesn't gel very well at all with the rest of the engine's graphics, so a good spriter would help immenely.

If you're interested, please either reply here with any questions you might have, or you can e-mail me at [email protected] for further information.

Thank you for your time.
Sounds interesting.
What's the storyline?
(04-29-2009, 03:58 PM)ArcaneAssassin Wrote: [ -> ]What's the storyline?

I'm just the producer, so I can't give a lot of specifics- you'd have to ask the actual writer- but it's the usual Final Fantasy fare. You start off as a knight and your king gets assassinated on your watch, along with your father the King's retainer, so you set off on an exile/revenge journey and things escalate from there (as they always do) until at the end you're saving the world from being destroyed by a madman bent on tipping the magical scales of balance that keep all of existence from tearing itself asunder.
Requests.
(04-29-2009, 05:03 PM)GrooveMan.exe Wrote: [ -> ]Requests.

Is it? I read the rules thread and thought this fit more as a fan-project than anything else. After all:

"- Be prepared to actually do some spriting. This board is for projects that involve you - the person making the thread - actually doing some spritework themselves. If you're an artist, a writer, or a programmer; that's cool, and all the power to ya. But your threads don't go here. Instead, look into the Fangames board, or the Requests board to get what you need. Threads in need of this (but otherwide fulfil all other criteria) will simply be moved to the correct board instead of locked. Count yourself lucky."

As I'm not doing the spriting, and it wasn't a request for an existing sprite-rip (Which is what I gathered the Request forum to be, looking at the thread list) it really seemed like Fan Projects was the most logical choice?
Nope, you're directly asking for help from other people (and not necessarily doing anything yourself to aid the process). That's a request.

Requests here are abstract - not just rip requests.

Besides, you'll actually have to present some demonstratable progress for me to accept it being on the Fangames board.
RPG Maker 2008? I only know about 95, 2000, 2003, XP & VX, but I never heard from the 2008-version~

Are you sure it's not a typing mistake?
(04-29-2009, 05:48 PM)GrooveMan.exe Wrote: [ -> ]Besides, you'll actually have to present some demonstratable progress for me to accept it being on the Fangames board.

Well, the build is too big to attach, but I could post some screenshots if that'll do it?

And you're right, Davias, we're using the XP Version. Dunno where I got 2k8 from.
Linking to a megaupload or rapidshare file with the build downloadable is completely feasible, y'know.

Update the first post with screenshots and a download link (along with actual information on the game beyond "it exists"), and I'll move it.
(04-30-2009, 12:47 AM)GrooveMan.exe Wrote: [ -> ]Linking to a mediafire or mediafire file with the build downloadable is completely feasible, y'know.
fixed
Mediafire can suck my gigantic black penis. The upload times are abysmal, and it has a habit of corrupting files in the process. Megaupload's my personal favourite, RS is cool for uploading something for the short-term.
(05-01-2009, 04:49 PM)GrooveMan.exe Wrote: [ -> ]Mediafire can suck my gigantic black penis. The upload times are abysmal, and it has a habit of corrupting files in the process. Megaupload's my personal favourite, RS is cool for uploading something for the short-term.

We have a DropBox account with all the game's assets on it, but I'd rather not publicly post the whole thing in its half-finished state. I'll post screens and some other stuff, but I'd like to reserve access to the build itself until someone shows interest in working on the project...
Eh, whatever works.
i just prefer mf over rapidshit and mu/r/p because it doesn't have the whole WAIT 40 SECONDS BEFORE YOU CAN DOWNLOAD THIS

AND THEN WAIT 16 MINUTES BEFORE YOU DOWNLOAD ANYTHING ELSE(unless you want to pay us)
Pages: 1 2