The VG Resource

Full Version: Pokemon Platinum: Kanto Sugimori Dex
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
First sprite submission here, so hello everyone. I may continue with further submissions, though recoloring this PokeDex was just a hobby.

Basically, the premise here is that I siphon the colors on the official Sugimori art and recolor the currently oversaturated Pokemon sprites for Pokemon Platinum. This results in higher quality colors for the sprites.

This is a very large file, about 1.5mb so I'll link you to it instead of posting it here and stretching the page.

[Image: pokemonplatinum-kanto_sugimori_pokedex_icon.png]

If you want to compare to the standard sprites, use this link here. (The sprite page there is not intended for submission. Only the Sugimori edit.)

Further comparison pictures are below:
Golem, Jynx, Kangaskhan, Machoke, Magmar, Parasect, Pidgeot, Venusaur, Victreebell, and the Eevee line. Some of those links have possibly outdated edits used since I tweaked a quite a few sprites after making those comparisons. Though, the sprite submission link I gave are all up to date. So anyways, what do you guys think?
Recolors? Hooray?
If anyone needed recolors they'd do them themselves.
what everybody who's posted means but isn't enough of a douche to say:

fuck off and take your recolors with you
[Image: 1240952146719.gif]
Oversaturated? I think the originals were fine as they were. Most of these are just minor colour edits and the ones that look really changed actually look worse.

I think you might be better off making custom sprites.
Oh. Well, umm... Okay then?

What constitutes for an edit then? It has to be more than updated colors, or does it have to be about a complete overhaul of the sprites. Because I did edit small portions of some sprites, such as Machoke and Machamp's belt, Pidgeot's beak, reduced the size of the leftmost lump on Magmar's head, removed the red outline from Haunter's hands, and such. But I suppose those aren't enough edits?

And, well if I were to re-saturate them, I would end up with the same sprites as before. The reason I called it a Sugimori PokeDex was because I used the colors on the Sugimori art. By changing the saturation on the color I siphoned, it's not really the same color. So then the recolors would be nothing more than a recolored PokeDex, which wouldn't have much meaning. The recolors in this instance had a basis, as in being true to the intended color Sugimori painted his art to be.

The thing is, most may think it's not oversaturated, just because you may be used to those very bright colors. Though, the bright saturation also came with incorrect colors, such as a yellow Meowth and Ninetails, which both should be a very light beige. The same can be applied to most of the Rock and Ground type Pokemon which included Onix which was a light purple.

The most I can ask is to look at the sprites with an objective mindset. IE: Don't view them as just another recolor, but look at them as a corrected color scheme. Though, if you still believe the regular sprites are better, there's not much I can change your mind about, can I?
Edit? No no no, we don't like those here either. Making them from scratch is the way to go.
Edits aren't allowed on the site (anymore). Customs or sprites that are in a certain style.
Ah, well I guess I'll take my business elsewhere. I figured I'd try on this forum since I saw Edits/Customs weren't allowed to be posted for submission on the regular topic, and was redirected to this forum.
1up, no need to be such a dick about it.

What they mean to say in better terms is this; they look fine and I personally like them, but they're just new palettes. If they were all-new poses we'd be happy to, but just a palette swap doesn't warrant a whole new sheet. Sorry.
I bet I'm gonna sound stupid but.
I see no difference. =p
(04-28-2009, 06:51 PM)Redd Wrote: [ -> ]I bet I'm gonna sound stupid but.
I see no difference. =p

But it's so obvious, the color changes. They're recolored/edited to look more like Sugimori's art from Fire Red/Leaf green.

A site like Serebii or Pokemonelite2000 would just love this sheet to death as they could actually put these to some kind of use, and...yeah, you did a good job but for the sake of TSR submission, they're pretty much just edits <_<
(04-28-2009, 06:09 PM)mozzy Wrote: [ -> ]Edits aren't allowed on the site (anymore). Customs or sprites that are in a certain style.

not even hard edits are allowed?
I'd think they would have to be pretty impressive edits.
Try actually doing game-sized pixel-overs of the sugimori art
kill two birds with one stone AND still get them submitted since they're in new poses
Pages: 1 2