The VG Resource

Full Version: Some messy work in need of critique
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well it's been a dog's age since I did some real spriting, so I figured I'd go for pixel art instead but... I forget how much spriting goes in there too,
anyways here's two works that started as sketches then were traced over etc,
[Image: mechaoutlaw.png]
What I really need are tips or suggestions on how to do better shading... I'm content with the line-art (still open to suggestions though) but even I can see this went bad somewhere on the way...
oh and if it helps some magic way
here's the original sketch

also a doodle I'll prolly never finish
[Image: olhumanmecha.png]
The knife in the first pic is pillowshaded. I think you should sharpen his horn a little.
(04-27-2009, 06:49 PM)Chdonga Wrote: [ -> ]The knife in the first pic is pillowshaded
no

its doesnt

at all

the edges are banded but it's not pillowshaded
(04-27-2009, 02:08 PM)Mecha Wrote: [ -> ][Image: mechaoutlaw.png]
The shading is nice especially his jacket, but some area's need darker outline like the knife blade where there isn't a sharp side I would prefer giving a darker gray outline, some of the things there don't make sense or just simply can't understand it like the way he's holding the knife it looks like he's playing with it instead of holding it but I don't know if thats the way you want it if its not make the fingers go over the knife handle, also the gun doesn't look like a gun to me it looks like double handles of a gun, and also looks like its angle is off.
Edit: Plus I just realized its style matches 1up's like the legs, and feet maybe you are the exact same person but I can be wrong.Question
(04-27-2009, 09:52 PM)Mega_Virus Wrote: [ -> ]Edit: Plus I just realized its style matches 1up's like the legs, and feet maybe you are the exact same person but I can be wrong.Question
i laughed irl

very loud
Your character's terribly off-balance and suffers from banding. The legs on both characters need some revision too.
(04-27-2009, 09:52 PM)Mega_Virus Wrote: [ -> ]Edit: Plus I just realized its style matches 1up's like the legs, and feet maybe you are the exact same person but I can be wrong.Question

mechas too old to be 1up. im sure tsr has some proof that hes not an alt
who's this 1up fellow? :V I'm not him, I'm just a lousy "artist" from MFGG, anyways, so I should work on the legs and darken some outline colors?
its me im 1up

also the outline colors are fine, it's really just this
Quote:Your character's terribly off-balance and suffers from banding
(04-28-2009, 02:33 AM)Chris2Balls Wrote: [ -> ]Your character's terribly off-balance and suffers from banding. The legs on both characters need some revision too.

so... wazziz "banding"?
and the off balance part was that he's supposed to be kinda in a sort of free fall/ plain 'ol in the air.
(04-28-2009, 11:46 PM)Mecha Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-28-2009, 02:33 AM)Chris2Balls Wrote: [ -> ]Your character's terribly off-balance and suffers from banding. The legs on both characters need some revision too.

so... wazziz "banding"?
and the off balance part was that he's supposed to be kinda in a sort of free fall/ plain 'ol in the air.
I know, whats up with these unusual words I don't know what that sentence means either except the off balance part, can't you guys make it simple so everybody can understand, and learn easier.
I personally think its not off balance, to me it looks like he's taking a gun fire, also looks like he's a gansta if you had him tilted forward than it would look like james bond.
I don't understand why you named your topic messy work when its obviously great work, just the only thing I think you need to do to it is smoothen out the outlines of the sprite in some area's I'm sure you know how to do that if you can bust out a sprite like that.
If you want it to look better than here are some things that will.
- Angle out the gun with the hands angle.
- Give more shading in certain area's, and the light power is different on the mask then the rest of the body same goes for the right leg.
- The knife, and him holding it is wierd.
Well, maybe they figure you'll look it up. Or you'll ask.

And, though I'm not sure myself, it seems banding is when you have certain pixels placed in a way that ends up looking like just bigger pixels.

http://www.pixel.schlet.net/
Follow the link and goto the "Banding Primer." It might prove helpful...
(04-29-2009, 01:44 AM)Sploder Wrote: [ -> ]http://www.pixel.schlet.net/
It shoudn't be that way.
This Link is difinetly helpful, and interesting thanks for doing the work for me.
(04-29-2009, 01:44 AM)Sploder Wrote: [ -> ]Well, maybe they figure you'll look it up. Or you'll ask.

And, though I'm not sure myself, it seems banding is when you have certain pixels placed in a way that ends up looking like just bigger pixels.

http://www.pixel.schlet.net/

neat read :v I'm gonna do my best to take in this stuff, hopefully my next work'll come out alot better. Only problem now is I really do follow alot of the stuff he said never to do @.@